What's new

Americans try Arab (mostly Saudi Arabian) cuisine

Bone marrow is delicious. Ever tried it?

Yes and it is tasty. Especially when used in soups.

The ability of a camel to survive in such harsh climates made it an excellent choice for nomads and caravans that went all the way from Asia to Europe

They are more common in central asia we also get a few imported bactrians from Afghanistan but they are just not made for our hot climate most camels here are variants of dromedaries
Pakistan-Camel-beauty-festival-1.jpg

b78cc0ef6830de3d08a58b8cac6097c3.jpg
Pakistan-Punjab-province-Cholistan-desert-Derawar.jpg
55ff08974abe3.jpg

In North of our country people really dont like camel meat and milk but in south people are more into camel meat and milk

The fish man:o: i never knew it snowed in Saudi

Hey they remind me of our mountain goats
269224,xcitefun-goats.jpg

najdi-sheep-01.jpg

Its called the Indua Delta Camel locally knowns as Kharai camel and its native to the delta region SIndh and Gujrat region of Pakistan and India they are an endangered species due to destruction of mangrove forests and decreased water flow to the delta region
https://www.dawn.com/news/969483
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...akirani-jat-and-rabari-communities--1.1624925

Yes, and travelers alike. Trade in general too.

Aha. I thought that they would adapt seeing that it gets as hot and sometimes even hotter during the summer in the steppes and deserts of Central Asia, Mongolia, China etc. Maybe they can't deal with the humidity in Pakistan?

Cool!

It snows every single winter in large parts of KSA (Northern KSA especially) and the mountainous regions. In fact some of the coldest temperatures measured in the MENA region have been measured in KSA. However obviously it's nothing remotely close to Siberia.

They are strange creatures lol. They look nothing like the other sheep found in KSA. We have similar mountain sheep. I think that they live almost everywhere where there are mountains because to me they all look similar.

Anyway there are also the Awassi sheep who live in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq , Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine and Egypt. The are perfectly adapted to arid climates and can survive on very little water and their wool is priced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awassi

There are a lot of them in KSA.

Their wool and milk is especially priced. People eat their meet as well, just like the Najdi sheep, but not as much as they use it for wool and milk (dairy products). Anyway I love lamb meat so I always eat the meat.

Those unique camels that can swim in Pakistan and Gujarat should be saved at all costs. I hope that this can be done. Best of luck. I believe very much in protecting the nature and animal life. Too many priced animals have become extinct in our part of the world (KSA and Arabia) such as lions, cheetah (although they have been reintroduced to the wild), Arabian ostriches (in turn the related African ostriches have been introduced to the wild) and sadly a few other priced animals in the past 2 generations alone. We should not allow that to continue.

Oi we are fasting over here you know! :angry:

I am too brother. I just don't want to be rude and don't reply to a very friendly person like @Zibago whose posts I also enjoy because I learn something new.

Ramadan Mubarak to both of you.

I am too brother. I just don't want to be rude and don't reply to a very friendly person like @Zibago whose posts I also enjoy because I learn something new.

Ramadan Mubarak to both of you.

I am kidding bro, I love your threads and I've learnt so much about the holy land from you. Please keep on posting and ramadan Kareem to you.
By the way are you in Saudi currently?

I am kidding bro, I love your threads and I've learnt so much about the holy land from you. Please keep on posting and ramadan Kareem to you.
By the way are you in Saudi currently?

It's my pleasure bro.

No, I am abroad (Europe) finishing my master's thesis in Chemical engineering. I will be back before the Ramadan ends. So it's 3-4 hours more wasting for me than what it would otherwise be. However this is no problem as I have had a very irregular eating pattern in the past few months so me not eating much and sometimes (rarely) anything for more than 20 hours is something that I have become somewhat accustomed to. Once I am done and the Ramadan ends I can return to "normality". Hopefully.:lol::D

It's my pleasure bro.

No, I am abroad (Europe) finishing my master's thesis in Chemical engineering. I will be back before the Ramadan ends. So it's 3-4 hours more wasting for me than what it would otherwise be. However this is no problem as I have had a very irregular eating pattern in the past few months so me not eating much and sometimes (rarely) anything for more than 20 hours is something that I have become somewhat accustomed to. Once I am done and the Ramadan ends I can return to "normality". Hopefully.:lol::D

All the best in your studies bro. I remember my university days, oh they were stressful. But then along came working life. :p:
What's the opportunity like in Saudi for someone of your calibre, I hear they are crying out for native grads?

All the best in your studies bro. I remember my university days, oh they were stressful. But then along came working life. :p:
What's the opportunity like in Saudi for someone of your calibre, I hear they are crying out for native grads?

I can imagine that. However I am sure that you look back at those days fondly as most other people.

It sure is stressful although I usually try to take things one step at a time and in a calm fashion. However a master's thesis is a different kind of beast that must be tackled in a somewhat different manner, lol. It's been a challenge but that is completely normal and expected. It would be boring if it was not.

The opportunities are good and the Saudi Vision 2030 and its goals is promising reading for the natives with higher degrees. However I will have to see what the future has in store for me. There are quite a few options within KSA, the GCC or even outside of it (West and East). It all depends on what I settle down on, my ambitions and if I am willing to educate myself further. I mean the competition is bigger than ever before but there are options which is what matters. If everything fails, as in completely everything, I will have to rely on the family, lol. So in that sense I am blessed but independence is what we all aim at, is it not?

Aha. I thought that they would adapt seeing that it gets as hot and sometimes even hotter during the summer in the steppes and deserts of Central Asia, Mongolia, China etc. Maybe they can't deal with the humidity in Pakistan?
Could be the humidity who knows but for some strange reason they cant survive in most of Pakistan
It snows every single winter in large parts of KSA (Northern KSA especially) and the mountainous regions. In fact some of the coldest temperatures measured in the MENA region have been measured in KSA. However obviously it's nothing remotely close to Siberia.
I always thought Turkey was the coldest Middle Eastern country and Syria was the coldest Arab country :D
They are strange creatures lol. They look nothing like the other sheep found in KSA. We have similar mountain sheep. I think that they live almost everywhere where there are mountains because to me they all look similar.
Why is that mountain creatures always have straightish fur:flood:
shepherd.jpeg

Their wool and milk is especially priced. People eat their meet as well, just like the Najdi sheep, but not as much as they use it for wool and milk (dairy products). Anyway I love lamb meat so I always eat the meat.
Lamb liver is the best :D
Anyway there are also the Awassi sheep who live in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq , Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine and Egypt. The are perfectly adapted to arid climates and can survive on very little water and their wool is priced.
In Pakistan most people particularly from plain regions prefer goat meat over lamb meat
Those unique camels that can swim in Pakistan and Gujarat should be saved at all costs. I hope that this can be done. Best of luck. I believe very much in protecting the nature and animal life. Too many priced animals have become extinct in our part of the world (KSA and Arabia) such as lions, cheetah (although they have been reintroduced to the wild), Arabian ostriches (in turn the related African ostriches have been introduced to the wild) and sadly a few other priced animals in the past 2 generations alone. We should not allow that to continue.
There is lack of awareness about how unique this animal is if more people knew about it like the Snow Leopard or the blind dolphin we may see more efforts towards its preservation camels are low maintenance it wouldnt be hard to take care of them
We lost asiatic cheetas,asiatic lions,tigers,elephants and rhinos :-(
And animals like Houbra Bustards,Blind Dolphins,Snow Leopards are under threat

I can imagine that. However I am sure that you look back at those days fondly as most other people.

It sure is stressful although I usually try to take things one step at a time and in a calm fashion. However a master's thesis is a different kind of beast that must be tackled in a somewhat different manner, lol. It's been a challenge but that is completely normal and expected. It would be boring if it was not.

The opportunities are good and the Saudi Vision 2030 and its goals is promising reading for the natives with higher degrees. However I will have to see what the future has in store for me. There are quite a few options within KSA, the GCC or even outside of it (West and East). It all depends on what I settle down on, my ambitions and if I am willing to educate myself further. I mean the competition is bigger than ever before but there are options which is what matters. If everything fails, as in completely everything, I will have to rely on the family, lol. So in that sense I am blessed but independence is what we all aim at, is it not?

I share your thoughts. Life is ever changing and you will never know where it takes you. I would just say prepare as best as you can, in your case that is developing yourself academically to open up doors for you. All the best bro. Please continue with the thread.

Last edited:
Could be the humidity who knows but for some strange reason they cant survive in most of Pakistan

I always thought Turkey was the coldest Middle Eastern country and Syria was the coldest Arab country :D

Why is that mountain creatures always have straightish fur:flood:
shepherd.jpeg

Lamb liver is the best :D

In Pakistan most people particularly from plain regions prefer goat meat over lamb meat

There is lack of awareness about how unique this animal is if more people knew about it like the Snow Leopard or the blind dolphin we may see more efforts towards its preservation camels are low maintenance it wouldnt be hard to take care of them

We lost asiatic cheetas,asiatic lions,tigers,elephants and rhinos :-(
And animals like Houbra Bustards,Blind Dolphins,Snow Leopards are under threat

It could be. I am just guessing as I do not know about any Bactrian camels living in the wild in KSA or any other Arab country other than in zoos. But when I think about it I have never seen them in the zoo either.

Areas of Turkey (mountainous areas and the interior) are definitely colder during the winter. As far as Syria, if I recall it correctly, the coldest temperature measured in Syria is very much alike to that measured in KSA. Something around -20.0 and -15.0 °C. However Northern KSA is very similar to neighboring Sham (geographically, culturally, climatically, historically) and the temperatures during the summer and winter are very much alike.

Just like most of us humans, lol, but a good question.

Lamb liver is fantastic. We call it kibda and it features in one of the videos that I posted. The Americans eating it all liked it except one person.

Enjoy.:lol:

Goat is also popular in KSA and the Arab world in general but lamb meat is considered more fine. It is also more expensive. I like both but sometimes goat meat (especially if not fresh) can have a bad smell to it.

Anyway you should seriously try camel meat if you have not tasted it. Try camel biryani.:D

Indeed. It's sad to thing about but hopefully, sometime in the future, such animals can be reintroduced to the wild in national parks etc. We have had success with this in recent years when it comes to some of the animal species that I mentioned and others. Even the wild camel population that was sharply declining, this decline was stopped, due to the work of camel farms etc. and breeders. Anyway I am a person that likes nature and animals and Allah (swt) creations so I am sad whenever a species becomes extinct. They all (almost) serve a purpose.

I share your thoughts. Life is ever changing and you will never know where it takes you. I would just say prepare as best as you can, in your case that is developing yourself academically to open up door for you. All the best bro. Please continue with the thread.

Indeed brother. Life is very unpredictable. However we have to take it one step at a time and live in the moment. Planning is a good thing but if you plan too much and too far in the future, you can end up being disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ability of a camel to survive in such harsh climates made it an excellent choice for nomads and caravans that went all the way from Asia to Europe

They are more common in central asia we also get a few imported bactrians from Afghanistan but they are just not made for our hot climate most camels here are variants of dromedaries
Pakistan-Camel-beauty-festival-1.jpg

b78cc0ef6830de3d08a58b8cac6097c3.jpg
Pakistan-Punjab-province-Cholistan-desert-Derawar.jpg
55ff08974abe3.jpg

In North of our country people really dont like camel meat and milk but in south people are more into camel meat and milk

The fish man:o: i never knew it snowed in Saudi

Hey they remind me of our mountain goats
269224,xcitefun-goats.jpg

najdi-sheep-01.jpg

Its called the Indus Delta Camel locally knowns as Kharai camel and its native to the delta region SIndh and Gujrat region of Pakistan and India they are an endangered species due to destruction of mangrove forests and decreased water flow to the delta region
https://www.dawn.com/news/969483
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...akirani-jat-and-rabari-communities--1.1624925
these camels plays vital part in transportation of goods in i terror Gujarat.

Incredibly clam and loyal breed.

I fell in love with Arabic cuisine when I was stationed in the Gulf region. I found the food to be very flavorful, fresh, and healthy. I loved a traditional kabsa and if you are hungry after eating that, you have something wrong with you My ultimate addiction however, is a Syrian dish I have never been able to find, (Not the same quality.) in the United States, called Muhammara, a walnut and red pepper past, eaten with flatbread. I could not get enough of that stuff!

muhammara-spread.jpg

Back
Top Bottom