What's new

Alternatives to U-214

Pakistan is already getting the SSKs from China as our Admiral pointed out. Probably Song class which none the less is amazing, and with AIP, even more deadly.

But you can't build a conventional sub in case of Ballistic missiles for which you need bigger hulls and hence more propulsion which only nuclear reactors can provide.

Pakistan will have it's hunter-killer SSKs but one Ballistic missile Sub might be needed as currently Army and Airforce are both having Strategic strike capability but the Navy is lacking this.

Plus Harpoon and Exocets are not enough for long range attack.

You missed my point. I am saying Pakistan isnt playing a i match you now you match me game because financially they can't instead it is a i find a defensive cost effective solution to whatever you induct. But sure if Pakistan is able to find the funds for strategic nuclear subs then go for it. I don't see it happening now. You could also make the argument Pakistan would need a small aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
SSBNs are above and beyond Pakistan's means and its scope of being a regional power. In fact, operating a fleet of even a dozen modern SSKs such as U-214 and Agosta-90B would be a formidable force in both the Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea. For example, Pakistan has an SLCM program which was at the focus of controversy surrounding the Type-214 deal in Germany. Having a number of LACM (possibly nuclear) armed SSKs swimming around would be enough to keep powers such as India and even Israel at bay.

Going a step further with an SSN or SSGN would imply power-projection and be taken as an offensive stance by certain countries. If anything, an SSGN is at the outer limit of what Pakistan might be able to afford and produce in the foreseeable future, and other states (such as U.S, Europe, India/Israel) will have to sit down and live with such a reality. But an SSBN is something used to assert far-reaching global projection - alongside large nuclear powered aircraft carriers and ICBMs. In fact, this was one of the reasons why Pakistan is has kept development of its Ghauri III (3500-4000km), Shaheeen III (4000-4500km), MIRV and even LACM programs relatively LOW KEY (link).

I wouldn't be surprised if the National Security Council is hesitant to test an SLV because that too might somehow be misconstrued and send the wrong message! Predictably, ICBM concepts would likely be in suspended animation right now...only to be revitalized if and when the world treats Pakistan like Iran..

Back to the SSN issue...this is how I see it...don't expect anything in this regard at least until Pakistan Navy has a healthy fleet of 12~15 SSKs. How this occurs, what is the composition of ships (are mini-SSKs included), I can't say...but a conventional submarine fleet is the priority right now. If and when this is accomplished, alongside a good surface fleet, air force, army, etc...we may see a series of Strategic Programs launched - such as SSGN, ICBMs, LPDs, etc. But this is long-term.

SSBNs are above and beyond Pakistan's means and its scope of being a regional power. In fact, operating a fleet of even a dozen modern SSKs such as U-214 and Agosta-90B would be a formidable force in both the Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea. For example, Pakistan has an SLCM program which was at the focus of controversy surrounding the Type-214 deal in Germany. Having a number of LACM (possibly nuclear) armed SSKs swimming around would be enough to keep powers such as India and even Israel at bay.

Going a step further with an SSN or SSGN would imply power-projection and be taken as an offensive stance by certain countries. If anything, an SSGN is at the outer limit of what Pakistan might be able to afford and produce in the foreseeable future, and other states (such as U.S, Europe, India/Israel) will have to sit down and live with such a reality. But an SSBN is something used to assert far-reaching global projection - alongside large nuclear powered aircraft carriers and ICBMs. In fact, this was one of the reasons why Pakistan is has kept development of its Ghauri III (3500-4000km), Shaheeen III (4000-4500km), MIRV and even LACM programs relatively LOW KEY (link).

I wouldn't be surprised if the National Security Council is hesitant to test an SLV because that too might somehow be misconstrued and send the wrong message! Predictably, ICBM concepts would likely be in suspended animation right now...only to be revitalized if and when the world treats Pakistan like Iran..

Back to the SSN issue...this is how I see it...don't expect anything in this regard at least until Pakistan Navy has a healthy fleet of 12~15 SSKs. How this occurs, what is the composition of ships (are mini-SSKs included), I can't say...but a conventional submarine fleet is the priority right now. If and when this is accomplished, alongside a good surface fleet, air force, army, etc...we may see a series of Strategic Programs launched - such as SSGN, ICBMs, LPDs, etc. But this is long-term.

Wooo if i am not wrong turkey has some 14 SSKs.I dont know much about these matters but i dont think that with current PN budget of just over 500 Million we will ever be able to achieve that much numbers.

Gottland sumarine of sweden should be the next option after U-214.

A26 is the project name of the next generation of submarines developed by Kockums. This submarine is intended to be an improved version of the Gotland class submarine, which will be considered obsolete around 2015-2017 according to Per Skantz, development co-ordinator at the Marine headquarters in Stockholm.[
A26 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kockums AB is a shipyard in Malmö, Sweden owned by the German shipyard HDW in Kiel. HDW itself is a subsidiary of the German ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems.
Kockums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Type 214 is a diesel-electric submarine developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW)
Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wooo if i am not wrong turkey has some 14 SSKs.I dont know much about these matters but i dont think that with current PN budget of just over 500 Million we will ever be able to achieve that much numbers.
The annual budget doesn't include funds for additional acquisitions, these are provided in addition upon approval of the cabinet. So the defence budget may be around $3-4bn U.S., but defence spending can reach $5-7bn U.S. a year. That said, no one said the PN would get that many SSKs in one go, it can take a while...

The annual budget doesn't include funds for additional acquisitions, these are provided in addition upon approval of the cabinet. So the defence budget may be around $3-4bn U.S., but defence spending can reach $5-7bn U.S. a year. That said, no one said the PN would get that many SSKs in one go, it can take a while...

With all due respect sir i do not feel so positive about PN.With all the floods,terrorism our country being in the clutches of IMF and all the other things i don't think so we would ever be able to achieve the above said numbers.Unless ofcourse there is some sort of miracle and elites in our country decide to give away their wealth.

I am not even sure that with current delays in sub procurements will we able to maintain our current sub force level.Our Top Navy brass seems to be more interested in getting surface ships.

That said i wanna ask you something greece is also short on cash and is selling its type 214 why don't we look for an immediate purchase.

Back
Top Bottom