What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

In that gap are normally mounted a whole bunch of dischargers for smoke and obscurant grenades. The ERA is oriented towards the forward arc, the stuf on the turret rear is a storage rack/bin (onto which ERA could be mounted) which might also help give some protection against AT-rockets if the bin makes the rocket (heat warhead) detonate at some distance from the actual turret steel.

But how come T-90 has an all round ERA protection and yet is also able to have smoke launchers?

Why is there a big gap between those three ERA armor plates and that thing (armor?) that is welded to the rear of the turret?

Al-Khalid Turret should have an all round armor protection similar to the T-90:

That looks like a camera angling issue. The T-90 only has ERA on a bit less than the front half of it's turret.

Al khalid turret in the AKII should be seriously redesigned and a sloped armor turret like Leopard 2a6 or leclerc(boxy same as arjun) type turret should be adopted

Al khalid turret in the AKII should be seriously redesigned and a sloped armor turret like Leopard 2a6 or leclerc(boxy same as arjun) type turret should be adopted

The Leopard 2A6's and the Leclerc don't have great turrets, in my opinion. Thus far, the best turret design to date is on the Abrams, due to the fact that it is the only tank in the world to have a fully segregated, armored ammunition stowage point. Even the Leopard 2, the Merkava IV, etc, don't store all of their ammunition in one place, leaving ammo here and there in other places of the tank, making it vulnerable to your Gulf War classic, "no-hats T-72". The Abram's turret can be improved though. A circular shape, like those you see on Soviet and Russian era tanks, is great for all around protection (a sphere has the most volume per surface area of all shapes), however, you must still preserve the ammunition stowage station like that on the Abrams, so that the tank does not catastrophically explode. I'd advice for the Abrams turret, as it is, with semi-circle add-on armor on the side of the turrets. This would make a hell of a heavy turret, but extremely, extremely well protected against a conventional land army.

The Leopard 2A6's and the Leclerc don't have great turrets, in my opinion. Thus far, the best turret design to date is on the Abrams, due to the fact that it is the only tank in the world to have a fully segregated, armored ammunition stowage point. Even the Leopard 2, the Merkava IV, etc, don't store all of their ammunition in one place, leaving ammo here and there in other places of the tank, making it vulnerable to your Gulf War classic, "no-hats T-72". The Abram's turret can be improved though. A circular shape, like those you see on Soviet and Russian era tanks, is great for all around protection (a sphere has the most volume per surface area of all shapes), however, you must still preserve the ammunition stowage station like that on the Abrams, so that the tank does not catastrophically explode. I'd advice for the Abrams turret, as it is, with semi-circle add-on armor on the side of the turrets. This would make a hell of a heavy turret, but extremely, extremely well protected against a conventional land army.

a very good post

actually at present the AK turret is OK bt is still based on soviet legacy turret.in the soviet legacy turret i would say that the turret of t-84 oplot is the best.

the AKII is supposed to be around 55Tonnes..so we cant add a turret like abrams

though even if the turret is heavily armored like leclerc one this will atleast stop top attack ATGM to some extant

Although I can't say for sure but PA should have atleast 3000 tanks and 1100 self propelled howetzers as we have to face many enemies in now a days. Al-Khalid and AL-Zarrar are the real tanks for PA.

a very good post

actually at present the AK turret is OK bt is still based on soviet legacy turret.in the soviet legacy turret i would say that the turret of t-84 oplot is the best.

the AKII is supposed to be around 55Tonnes..so we cant add a turret like abrams

though even if the turret is heavily armored like leclerc one this will atleast stop top attack ATGM to some extant

They could probably up armor it by simply replacing that caged-basket that's on the back end of the turret with something more solid and in layers, like 3 pieces of steel at varying hardnesses, that would give it great protection v.s. HEAT rounds with a good amount of air space between it and the side-turret armor. Should probably add 2 tonnes to it over all.

is there any REAL info out on the new al-khalid, and what's going into it, and how much development has actually taken place??
to increase the weight of a tank by about 10 tons, there must be a lot more stuff the chinese are putting in there

is there any REAL info out on the new al-khalid, and what's going into it, and how much development has actually taken place??
to increase the weight of a tank by about 10 tons, there must be a lot more stuff the chinese are putting in there

Ak has been completely made in Pakistan since 2005-06, same is the case with AK-1 and Ak-2, China has nothing to do with this as they have their own 99 series running. Stop trolling and start learning.

Ak has been completely made in Pakistan since 2005-06, same is the case with AK-1 and Ak-2, China has nothing to do with this as they have their own 99 series running. Stop trolling and start learning.

AK-2 is in the category of medium weight tank as far as i know. In between 50-55 ton range, having an upgrade of major systems from ballistic computer to fire control system, automation is higher than that of AK-1, so much so that most of the tank functions are computer controlled. In terms of Thermal imager/ night fighting performance, AKs have a upper hand on Type 99 series, even the Type 99G uses a mechanical Thermal Imager, maybe upgraded to automatic scanning TI in 99A2 series but i doubt it is at the level of Matis 3rd gen or Catherine 2nd gen TI as of now. The only area where AK-1 is inferior is the engine power and heavy armor but AK-1 is a lighter tank anyway (compared to Type 99s). AK-2 will be a totally revamped version from armor, engine, APS, fire power, indigenous autoloader unlike previous version in AKs, giving a better loading time, environmental control, BMS 2 or maybe 3 as 2 is already in AK-1, also new ammo is being made at HIT including new long rod penetrators, Naiza 2 likely. It will be a game changer in the sub continent armor domain IF Arjun Mk2 is not fielded by 2015.

dont remember if i linked this piece before

I feel in modern warfare, tanks are becoming more and more obsolete, hence no one is putting significant R & D into thier development anymore.

I feel in modern warfare, tanks are becoming more and more obsolete, hence no one is putting significant R & D into thier development anymore.

All it needs is effective air cover or anti-aircraft weapons and that will transform it into a formidable weapon of war. Now, that's not too difficult, is it?

On open ground in plains and deserts = their is nothing like the tank that can achieve full spectrum dominance on the battlefield.

AK, and when they come into service, AK1 and AK2 are the best in the world for bang for buck. This is simply the truth.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom