What's new

Air Forces Monthly - summary of updates to JF-17

So if the radar range is 250km for KLJ-7A, then it outranges the RBE-2 AA radar for the Rafale.
Quite remarkable.

Yes but even than as per some sources RBE-2 AESA already have 200+ KM detection range so it is also in its own merit is a very potent system. For KLJ-7A I believe 250 KM range is also associated to detection only which mean its tracking range should by in ~200 KM it seems very good and no doubt give us advantage and to an extent confidence to counter the advantage which IAF was thinking to gain after the purchase of Rafale jets.

Just imagine IF in few year down the line IAF get AESA radar of Rafale upgraded to ne GaN base REB-2 which I think will be the standard radar for F4-R standard. So in short it is cat and mouse game.

klj7A features dual phase cooling.
Pl15 we got are Not export models. Those were offered for other customers. Ours can hit target over 2___ km away. PLA version does 2____km for fighters. Fill the blanks

Panjnad is kg600 localized with improvements but still an external SPJ not internal. This SPJ impressed the PAF very much.

Blk 3 internal ew is robust and quite advanced. Very similar to spectra in performance.

They added friggin pipes. How could it still be air cooled?
Dual phase cooling is applied.

As fortune would have the Thunder well endowed with such a long-ranged FCR, can anyone hazard a guesstimate as to what would be the max detection range of the J-10C's radar? With more TR Modules, the latter should have a longer range, shouldn't it?

As fortune would have the Thunder well endowed with such a long-ranged FCR, can anyone hazard a guesstimate as to what would be the max detection range of the J-10C's radar? With more TR Modules, the latter should have a longer range, shouldn't it?
It does. Guessed at 30% more than klj7A but that's unconfirmed.

klj7A features dual phase cooling.
Pl15 we got are Not export models. Those were offered for other customers. Ours can hit target over 2___ km away. PLA version does 2____km for fighters. Fill the blanks

Panjnad is kg600 localized with improvements but still an external SPJ not internal. This SPJ impressed the PAF very much.

Blk 3 internal ew is robust and quite advanced. Very similar to spectra in performance.

Dual phase cooling is applied.
What is dual phase cooling? Thank you.

Yes but even than as per some sources RBE-2 AESA already have 200+ KM detection range so it is also in its own merit is a very potent system. For KLJ-7A I believe 250 KM range is also associated to detection only which mean its tracking range should by in ~200 KM it seems very good and no doubt give us advantage and to an extent confidence to counter the advantage which IAF was thinking to gain after the purchase of Rafale jets.

Just imagine IF in few year down the line IAF get AESA radar of Rafale upgraded to ne GaN base REB-2 which I think will be the standard radar for F4-R standard. So in short it is cat and mouse game.

Did they specify the size of the target? 3 M^2 or 5?

I just found an old post from the original unveiling of the KLJ7A. It mentions the same 65% increase over the previous model. So safe to say the range of the radar is still around the original 170Km (plus/minus). What a grand confusion:

Post in thread 'JF-17 Block III's proposed AESA Radar KLJ-7A'
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-17-block-iiis-proposed-aesa-radar-klj-7a.458854/post-8869283

I just found an old post from the original unveiling of the KLJ7A. It mentions the same 65% increase over the previous model. So safe to say the range of the radar is still around the original 170Km (plus/minus). What a grand confusion:

Post in thread 'JF-17 Block III's proposed AESA Radar KLJ-7A'
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-17-block-iiis-proposed-aesa-radar-klj-7a.458854/post-8869283
It was a comparison with previous Pulse Doppler KLJ-7V2 which had ~110 KM detection range, so 170 KM range of first version of KLJ-7A exactly match with this calculation same was the range of first version of aircool LKF-601, but we know new version of LKF-601 have +200 KM range,

So it is logical to expect new version of KLJ-7A would have at least same range if not better than new version of LKF-601.

It was a comparison with previous Pulse Doppler KLJ-7V2 which had ~110 KM detection range, so 170 KM range of first version of KLJ-7A exactly match with this calculation same was the range of first version of aircool LKF-601, but we know new version of LKF-601 have +200 KM range,

So it is logical to expect new version of KLJ-7A would have at least same range if not better than new version of LKF-601.

One other important metric is % at which the target is acquired. Russian metric uses 50% and I think the U.S. metric uses 70 or 80%.

Yes. But that is all extrapolation and hypothesis on our end now.

The 65% increased range that we based our initial calculation is not valid anymore in my opinion as it’s the same number that was quoted 5 years ago at the initial unveiling of KLJ7A.

Back
Top Bottom