What's new

Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering

NSG_BlackCats

Reaction score
Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering​

Shahid Afridi has been banned for two Twenty20 internationals after being found guilty of ball-tampering during Pakistan's two-wicket loss to Australia at the WACA in Perth. Afridi, leading Pakistan for the second time in an ODI, in the absence of Mohammad Yousuf, was caught on TV cameras apparently biting the ball on a couple of occasions. The incident was reported to the on-field umpires by the TV umpire and after a chat with Afridi, the umpires changed the ball immediately.

Afridi admitted to tampering the ball, but added the practice was common among all teams. "I shouldn't have done it. It just happened. I was trying to help my bowlers and win a match, one match," he told Geo TV, a Pakistan-based news channel. "There is no team in the world that doesn't tamper with the ball. My methods were wrong. I am embarrassed, I shouldn't have done it. I just wanted to win us a game but this was the wrong way to do it."

Afridi was called into a hearing with the match referee Ranjan Madugalle immediately after the match. "Shahid Afridi has been banned for two T20Is after the incident," a team official told Cricinfo. "He pleaded guilty to the charge."

Source

well i am a Pakistani but i seriously think he should have been banned for at least 4-8 matches

In a general context yes, it seems he got away with a light punishment. But then when you compare with incidents like this--

where both Anderson and Broad were not charged, it doesn't look that ugly. BTW Afridi really did a very dumb thing, I don't know what was going through his mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the ball wasnt red .. otherwise he couldve have said it looked like an apple he had asked for.

Last edited:
next time give him BIG BREAKFAST with few cricket ball. lol

those pictures we will watch MANY TIMES. I hope Afridi realy learn from this. He could be banned for 10 match or so....

I would realy like to see him banned than we have T20 WC soon cant afford to ban him

Some people bite nail when they get tense. May be he did when tensed without knowing it.

Some people bite nail when they get tense. May be he did when tensed without knowing it.

Yeah It was clearly a very impulsive act that he did, due to sheer pressure and tense situation, not trying to justify it however.

He accepted his mistake and apologized before the judges, and walked away from the incident.

Honestly I quite like that. It takes courage to admit your mistakes and Afridi handled it pretty well, therefore got a minor punishment.

The bloody Aussies and Indian media are gonna make a helluva issue out of it whilst forgeting their long history of cheating by their captains including the likes of Dravid, Ganguly and Ricky and Gilchrist.

Right now he's the only hope/solution to the captaincy problem for our team. I'd like to see him lead the ODI and T20 side.

+ 1 For Afridi.

i can't bellieve either but a guy like him doing i must say he is a enemy of himself and plz plz plz for GOD sake change PCB managemant if PCB will be strict i dont think so ther will be anything like this happen

Honestly I quite like that. It takes courage to admit your mistakes and Afridi handled it pretty well, therefore got a minor punishment.

+ 1 For Afridi.

You have to be honest as Gandhi once you are caught on camera ?

What will he say after that ? I forgot my eat my breakfast and the ball reminded me of an apple ( I know Apple's are red).

:yahoo:

Well, what he did was wrong and against the spirit of the game, but I admire the fact that he stood up like a man and admitted his mistake. That takes b@lls.

He was very honest about the reasoning behind the tampering, and I actually feel sorry that he was driven to such desperation. Its clear that this was an impulsive act than a calculated move.

I am just sad that cricketers from around the world still try cheap tricks like ball tampering. I think Afridi himself would have felt bad afterwards even if Pak won, knowing that he won it unfairly.

An honest defeat has more integrity than a dishonest victory.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom