What's new

A Female Student Denied Admission Due To Face Veil In GC University Lahore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be able to speak to someone face to face is minimum of what is required in a "civilized" society.

According to whom? Civilization has advanced far enough that we do not even need to be in front of someone to speak to someone but you just need to see someone's face to talk to them?

Because we had a similar news just couple of weeks back where SC banned veils to be worn during exams, and people from Pakistan lost their mind and started the usual oppression of Muslims talk.

Haven't been on or missed said news, makes sense to prevent cheating.

The interviewer has a right to confirm whether she is right person he is interviewing or not and this can only be verified after looking at face.Showing your face to man is by no means not Islamic.Veil is not part of islam it,s a matter of personal choice and in some situations unveiling yourself should not hurt your personal religious sentiments.
If that mohtarma is still living in the 6th century and cannot understand the norms of this modern world then there is no need to study in a university ,she should better stay at home so no one can see her face.

In a strange incident a Muslim Student,Mehreen Shafaq has been denied admission in the prestigious GC University Lahore only because she refused to take off her face veil infront of the male interview panel.
The incident is outrageous because Mehreen qualified for the university and was refused only after the interview.
It is also worth noting that presently there are a number of 'veiled' female students already pursuing degrees in the University.
Mehreen plans to file a case against the interview panel in Lahore High Court.

The original story follows from her own fb account :
" I need support of my every fellow student.Read, Share and Spread ....Being a Pakistani, many times at different incidents, we are compelled to question our basic rights in our own Islamic Republic of Pakistan.Especially being a female , we the lesser concerned individuals mostly face hurdles in a male dominant society like ours. But recently I faced the biggest dilemma of our society. A beard Student can attend a college or university but a Veiled girl can not!!Recently I, Mehreen Shafaq, took the entrance test of a well renowned university of Pakistan, GC University Lahore. I submitted the fee and were allowed to take the examination in my veil. I qualified the test and received an interview call from the university administration for admission for Bsc. Hons. Applied Management.On 6th of August , I went from Islamabad to Lahore for the interview. I reached the university on 9:40 am and after a quick search, I found the department of management studies. I was handed over a form to fill and all the necessary procedures were carried by the female coordinator present there. After copying my original documents and helping me fill the form she politely said ' Mehreen we have an issue here. You will not be forwarded to the interview panel if you did not take your veil off.' I was shocked by her words . Take my veil off ? But for what ? I was about to be a student in a coeducational institute in an Islamic state and I qualified the test, I fulfilled the eligibility criteria but what to take my veil off for ? I asked her politely the reason and she said ' It is our policy that we do not take the students that wear veil.'I requested her to forward me to the interview panel and let me talk to them. My interview was to be conducted earlier but I had to wait two hours for the Director Najaf Yawar to come to the interview panel as according to her , he was the ultimate authority to decide if I can be the part of this university with veil or not.After a wait of two hours I was sent to the interview room. I gave a normal introduction and the interview panel asked me few normal questions. Then they asked:'How do we know you are Mehreen Shafaq?'' You have a female coordinator , ask her to match my face to my picture , I have no objection on that.' I replied.Suddenly one of the interviewer raised the photocopy of my filled form , turned it towards me and said mockingly ' Here's your picture on it, I can see it , what's the point of wearing veil then?'I was shocked at his disrespectful attitude towards a female student. The picture was meant for the management of GC and for the respect of the followed procedures and not for general public. I replied ' I may count it as a discrepancy of our system that at times females have to cooperate and compromise with such scenarios and hand over their pictures to institutes for verification and record'. When he noticed I wasn't getting confused neither was I misbehaving to give him a reason to reject me, he directly said ' Mehreen we don't take students that wear veil. We have all male lecturers and we can not take the headache of daily confirmation if it's you in the veil or not.' I said 'Sir how are we supposed to stand against laws of France and other countries against our religion if our own Islamic State will create hurdles in our path?' All of a sudden Mr. Najaf Yawar , the so called Director, started shouting at me ' Are you here to preach us ? We all have our own versions of religion and you are, in no way, a better Muslim than me . ' Then to utter disrespect in an insulting manner , the director of GC Mr. Najaf Yawar said ,' Ap Jesi larkion k lye girls colleges and women universities hain. Ap ja kar kisi aesi university me apply Karen . ( There are girls colleges and women universities for girls like you , you should apply in any of those.)For girls like you ! This sentence still echoes in my brain raising many questions. Just because I wore a veil, he judged my character as one of those girls who did not deserve to be in co-education. A veil is supposed to be wore in a co-educational institute and not in a women university but because I am a female I cannot raise a voice in this male dominant society to ask him why a beard man can attend the university but a veiled woman can't ! Why the whole male lecturers are privileged in a way that all females shall be with no veil at all? Why the interview panel treated me just as a female veiled student and not like a normal Student . In this Islamic Republic of Pakistan , this debate can be raised in the name of the basic religion of this country as it is our very right to follow every Islamic rule in our country but here we should also consider the basic , ethical and moral rights of every male and female student of this country.One of the interviewer said ' You are a good candidate but we can't let you study here in veil'. Today the merit list was published and despite the fact I qualified the test, gave the interview satisfactory in affluent English ( that was one of their requirements) , was called a 'good candidate' by the interviewer , I could not find my name in the merit list anywhere because I am a female that wears Veil in our Islamic Republic Of Pakistan.A day of shame for the renowned GC university and Pakistan. A day of injustice and usurpation of basic rights of a Pakistani once again. I wish to raise a voice against this injustice and all I need, is Support !Read , Share and SpreadSo every person can know on what basis these so called pioneers of success and excellence select their candidates. I can not find any shelter from this injustice done to me but I can raise a voice by your help , file a suit and let them know that a female veiled student has as many rights and privileges as any other normal student!Thank You."

Sir,

The title of your thread is DECEPTIVE.

That student was being interviewed by muslims-----. You title misleads as if the student is a muslim and the others are not---. It would be better if you were truthful----like saying " Muslim student denied admission by Muslim Interviewer ".

You want to preach religious righteousness---but then you are lying to display it---or at the least ' misleading ' about it.

Well the lady has the right to her opinion of how she wants to bring herself

yes but common sense decides if she is correct or not... this is true for anything... otherwise where will we stop.

or only you have that right to dictate her your views from across the border?

right, when out of argument, fall back to "from across the border". :rolleyes:

there are pakistanis who are essentially saying what i am, yes??

Well, at-least I do not hire anybody covering their face because putting oneself into a sac from head-to-toe is not safe when working in a virology lab.

At any rate, I am with management on this. This lady should opt for all girls college. In-fact Jamia Hafsa is located in Islamabad. It would perhaps be better for her

Sir ithink u have issue with face veil ,i read u said earlier u have no issue with burqa, i think it was a thread in members club. Face veil is just a small piece of cloth , so its not what would count for the sac that you are talking abt,unless u want to reject someone for wearing whole burqa, cuz here burqa will be 'the sac'.

Secondly, sir regardless of what clothes one is wearing dont people wear face masks , overalls in virology labs?

-------

I personally think she cud have removed before the panel for interview, she also made it a big issue, but that wud be stupid to not allow her to wear it in the university,unless the dresscode is predefined.

Secondly,from the account she has stated if its true then those guys in management panel also sound weirdos. Imean shouting at someone like this .

let him vent out his steam. he will run out of it eventually. just stay classy and dont respond to his bait.
its his point of view I would rather let it stay there so that people see where he stands
I deleted his more trollish post he followed up.
Not taht iagreed with that one comment of desert fox. But its one such thing he said (and that too bothers me if its abt army ) vs countless racist, personal and extreme sh1tty attacks by hyperion on desert fox and almost everyone who disagrees with him.
I always see him screaming like a frustrated jahil mohallay ki aurat name calling everyone who has different views.

I never reported him except for once cuz iknew nothing will be done about him and iwasnt wrong.i had complained straight to webmaster and he ignored it so whats the point in raising before any mod.

I have some questions.

1. anyone who doesnt agree with him, he can badly name-call, rail, abuse them and call them terrorists?

2. Do u agree with this thought that all the women who wear burqa and face veil are terrorists?

I know such ladies and their kids are well educated and serving the nation in estemeed positions and serving better than these two bit arm chair critics.

3. Do you think its fine to call ppl of kashmir ghulam because they are suffering under indian occupation.

Anyways, i amnot asking u to do anything abt it cuz each time he does anything it happens right under moderators and even admins noses.

And idont even want u to answer those questions.

yes but common sense decides if she is correct or not... this is true for anything... otherwise where will we stop.
And whose common sense? Everyone has their own level: rapist, thief, serial killer ...Each will give you their argument and some are crazy smart!

The uni authorities should clearly mention in the brochure that they will not allow face veil. It is possible that they are frustrated with existing veiled students or simply annoyed because she stood her ground.

She would not have applied or gone through humiliating process if she was told clearly before hand. The uni is well within rights to not allow people wearing face veil during interview though.

people here will jump at any damn opportunity to deface Islam...I bet there's a whole lot to this situation but of course the small-minded "liberal" bigots will focus on defaming the religion instead. These jumped up liberals make me sick
see this is precisely the problem with conservatives, they just can't stand PoV of anyone else but themselves. im a liberal, and i dont mind women who wear veils because the whole point of liberalism is freedom to wear what you want and do as you want w/o breaking law. the problem here was that, as you may or may not know, while conducting an interview observation of body language and eye movements is an essential part, as well as identification of whether or not said person is actually said person (remember lal masjid, mullah aziz?). so the management's request to ask the interviewee was entirely legit. but of course, everyone just wants an opportunity to blame it on the liberals, amiright?

And whose common sense? Everyone has their own level: rapist, thief, serial killer ...Each will give you their argument and some are crazy smart!

the common sense of the clearly known progressives.

besides, @Jf Thunder has already mentioned the example of fatima jinnah.

The uni authorities should clearly mention in the brochure that they will not allow face veil. It is possible that they are frustrated with existing veiled students or simply annoyed because she stood her ground.

She would not have applied or gone through humiliating process if she was told clearly before hand. The uni is well within rights to not allow people wearing face veil during interview though.

Hi,

I don't think they need to----. As an interviewee---you need to show some adaptability within reason rather than confrontation----. The problem is with the Pakistani premadonnas----. They believe that every thing is cast in stone----and life does not work that way.

Last edited:
Sir,

The title of your thread is DECEPTIVE.

That student was being interviewed by muslims-----. You title misleads as if the student is a muslim and the others are not---. It would be better if you were truthful----like saying " Muslim student denied admission by Muslim Interviewer ".

You want to preach religious righteousness---but then you are lying to display it---or at the least ' misleading ' about it.
You are 100% right. The title could be as follows:

A Female Student Denied Admission Due To Face Veil In GC University Lahore.

There was no need to mention as Muslim Student because up to 90% female Muslims in Pakistan are so far free of this bidat بدعت (introduction of new things in Islam) Alhamdulillah.

@WebMaster @waz @Irfan Baloch

Last edited:
just read the complainant female's testimony in the op fully... it is funny.

I could care less about such a pathetic forum, its got nothing of value anyway when we have people like Hyperion and his family members running this forum who let him troll and spew all the garbage he wants as he pleases.

Rather hypocritical of you then isnt it that you still continue to whine away about these injustices here?

After all, if it did not matter.. like many Indians who claim the same...you could just walk away?

All I see is you going around on some sanctimonious parade targeting a member based on a personal grudge and then crying foul when we point it out.

Hi,

I don't think they need to----. As an interviewee---you need to show some adaptability within reason rather than confrontation----. The problem is with the Pakistani premadonnas----. They believe that every thing is cast in stone----and life does not work that way.

That is typical Pakistani mentality... almost lizard like. When actually confronted or required to comply with something..they drop their tails like a Lizard that dances and creates a fuss and in the meantime they slip away to fight another day(or in this case, whine another day).

Sir ithink u have issue with face veil ,i read u said earlier u have no issue with burqa, i think it was a thread in members club. Face veil is just a small piece of cloth , so its not what would count for the sac that you are talking abt,unless u want to reject someone for wearing whole burqa, cuz here burqa will be 'the sac'.

Secondly, sir regardless of what clothes one is wearing dont people wear face masks , overalls in virology labs?
Yes, I have serious issue with covering face. It is because there is no such thing as face covering in the Islam that was brought to us by the prophet Mohammed (PBUH). Nowhere in Quran, neither in surah al-Noor nor in surah al-Ahzab there is any mention of face covering. The proponent of face covering bring Hadith in support of this and any Hadith that does not jibe with orders in Quran automatically gets nullified. Arabic is very rich language and if Allah wanted Muslim women to cover their faces, he could have clearly mentioned that in Quran but this is not the case. Such things are called bidat (بدعت), practices that are introduced in Islam at later point of time and the Prophet (PBUH) has professed that those who would introduce new things in Islam will end up in the hell.

This reminds me of Allama Iqbal who said:

Capture.JPG

Many of my students are Malay Muslim girls who cover their heads with scarves and that is totally acceptable for me. However, they are not allowed to wear local dress called 'baju kurung' that is composed of very loose tunic and loose skirt. I require them to wear trouser and shirt and of-course they will wear lab coats while in the lab. This is done for their own protection for loose clothes can get entangled with lab instruments and result in harm both to the person and to the instrument. Face covering using face masks in not necessary in HIV lab because HIV does not transmit through air. However, during the handling of virus -infected cells, we cover our entire face with a face-shield so that our eyes and mouth are protected from accidental splashes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom