What's new

A 445% price jump makes tomatoes more pricey than gasoline in India

Tomato crisis hits India as rain ravages crops and prices rise 400%​

Mon 10 Jul 2023 10.13 EDT

Consumers, farmers and even McDonald’s struggle in shortage blamed on irregular weather

Listening to the chatter at Delhi’s vegetable markets, only one question is on everyone’s lips: just how much will a tomato cost today?

Prices of tomatoes, a staple of Indian cooking, have soared by more than 400% in recent weeks as the country has been gripped by a nationwide shortage.

The shortage has been attributed to the irregular weather that has ravaged India during this year’s season for tomatoes, including unseasonable high rainfall in recent months, which devastated the growing crops and fuelled a deadly fungal disease.

While those in cities such as Mumbai or Delhi used to pay 40 rupees (40p) for a kilo of tomatoes, prices have shot up to 160 rupees and higher, making them largely unaffordable for an average low-income household.

Traders have warned prices could hit record highs of 200 rupees a kilo in the next few days as the recent heavy monsoon rains have spoiled more stock.

While July is often a more expensive season for buying tomatoes, as it falls between harvests, consumers said they had never seen prices so high.

The shortage has even hit outlets of the fast-food chain McDonald’s in India. In branches of McDonald’s across north, east and south India, signs were put up to state that tomatoes would no longer be put in burgers and other dishes, due to a lack of availability.

A spokesperson for a McDonald’s operator in north India confirmed they had removed tomatoes temporarily from food in some branches, due to “seasonal crop issues arising out of farm fields in a few regions” which meant there were “not enough quantities meeting our quality specifications”.

“We should be able to bring tomatoes back to the menu soon,” they added.

The human-caused climate emergency is making extreme rainfall more common and more intense, while heatwaves are increasingly likely to happen.

Several small-scale tomato farmers said this had been one of their most devastating seasons in terms of production and profit.

Arvind Malik, 34, a tomato farmer from Kheri Dabdalan village in the Kurukshetra district of Haryana, described how disease began to strike this season’s crop.

“In February, the leaves of tomato plants started drying up,” he said. “The experts told us that irregular weather – sudden rise and decline in temperatures – is the reason behind the disease in our tomatoes. We got expensive fungicides and sprayed them on our crop. Somehow the disease stopped but only after ruining a lot of crops.”

Malik said that while they usually sold 30,000kg of tomatoes every year, this year they could only harvest half of that and he was now heavily in debt.

The current shortage, and high prices now commanded for the few tomatoes left on the market, have been particularly galling for farmers such as Malik, who just a few months ago were having to dump their produce on the streets because the commercial prices of tomatoes were so low, often just 1.5 rupees a kilo – not even enough to cover costs.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/10/india-floods-new-delhi-rain-record-deaths
“We stopped picking tomatoes and selling them because it was a total loss,” said Malik. In June, prices began to surge as the shortages hit, but by then Malik had nothing to sell except rotten leftovers.

Other staple produce, including onions, ginger and chillis have been affected by rising prices due to weather-related issues damaging the crops.

Traders said it could take up to three months for supplies and prices to normalise, likely to fuel increasing discontent among consumers who are already dealing with rising prices due to inflation, and anger with the government.

“I had to sell my produce for less than two rupees a kilogram, and now the same is being sold for 160 rupees in the market,” said Malik. “Today, I cannot afford to buy even one kilogram of tomatoes.”

Upon initial observation, Chinese cities may give the impression of being wealthier than even New York and London, boasting shiny buildings, wide roads, and well-developed railways. However, appearances can be deceiving. Similarly, if one were to visit Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, it would appear unnaturally organized and immaculate, almost unreal. These outward displays of artificiality are often employed to conceal the plight of the underprivileged from outsiders. Personally, I find India to be a preferable choice over China, despite the absence of such gleaming infrastructure. People in India seem to lead better, happier lives when compared to their counterparts in China.
Good to live in your unique Indian delusion, lol.

I would gladly embrace the lifestyle he leads, as it undoubtedly surpasses the quality of life experienced by the average Chinese individual. Shiny buildings hold little importance to me; instead, I prioritize access to quality food, healthcare, and most importantly, freedom and liberty.
Sure, you Indians prefer to live in slums, that fits you people.

Indians are still having a field party laughing at China of having zero inflation while they themselves can not even afford tomatos.

I really didn't realize that the price of produce in India was more expensive than in China.

The retail price of tomatoes in China is 1.54CNY/500g (35INR/kg).

How do Indians survive with low income but high prices?

IMG_20230711_104500.jpg

I really didn't realize that the price of produce in India was more expensive than in China.

The retail price of tomatoes in China is 1.54CNY/500g (35INR/kg).

How do Indians survive with low income but high prices?

View attachment 938247
Street vendors sell for even much cheaper, tomatoes are the cheapest veggie

In my opinion, China potentially faces a higher poverty rate compared to India; however, this poverty often remains concealed behind impressive infrastructure and modern constructions. A similar phenomenon can be observed in North Korea, where the absence of slums creates an illusion of cleanliness, artificiality, and a shiny appearance. It is common for inexpensive items to appear more visually appealing since their shine helps mask their inherent cheapness. Both China and North Korea seem to prioritize the construction of shiny buildings as a strategy to divert attention from underlying poverty, reflecting a certain obsession within their respective governments.
North Korea GDP per captia is about $1300, India is $2380, and China is $12700, do you need a big brain to conclude which country is having the worst economy and facing higher chance of starvation, and which country is better off ? North Korea spends a lot of its GDP on defense fending off superior US and South Korea armies, they also spend a lot of their money to build and prop up their capital and then there are not much money left to care for the people. Just that NK capital is clean and well organized unlike your dirty chaotic slum India doesn't mean NK people may not have hardships in life as that mainly depends on NK economy that we know is in very bad condition. Only a fool would make the conclusion about the state of lives of Chinese based on a very different country NK's capital appearance becos they are both labeled as "communist countries" by you people. Very funny, Since your country is a slum nation labeled a "democracy", should we also conclude that Western countries such as France, Germany and Italy are also slum nations becos they are also labeled as democracies by you Indians ? Lol, maybe that's your infamous Indian logic, desperate and sour.

Last edited:
Street vendors sell for even much cheaper, tomatoes are the cheapest veggie
I just thought it was weird. As a rule, prices in poor countries should be lower than in rich countries.

China is the factory of the world, and I can understand that the prices of industrial goods in China are lower than in India, but I can't understand how the prices of agricultural goods in India are higher than in China. India is even a tropical country.

Indian ex-pat in Dubai flies home with 10kg tomatoes in suitcase​

Customs officials recently released three tonnes of tomatoes that were being smuggled into India from Nepal.

Indo-Asian News Service Follow on Twitter| Posted by Masrath Fatima | Published: 21st July 2023 9:52 am IST

Indian ex-pat in Dubai flies home with 10kg tomatoes in suitcase
Indian ex-pat in Dubai flies home with 10kg tomatoes in suitcase

New Delhi: To fulfil her mother’s wish, a Dubai expat has flown back to India with 10 kg of tomatoes in her suitcase packed in kitchen storage containers.

The woman who was coming home to India for holidays asked her mother what she wanted from Dubai, who said tomatoes in response, considered highly valuable these days in the country amid their surging prices.

Sharing the anecdote, the expat’s sister, who goes by the name Revs on Twitter, wrote: “My sister is coming to India from Dubai for her children’s summer holidays, and she asked my mum if she wanted anything from Dubai and my mother said bring 10 kilos of tomatoes. And so now she has packed 10 kg tomatoes in a suitcase and sent it.

“Apparently she put it in big Pearlpet dabbas (boxes) and put the dabbas in a suitcase and brought them.”

With 53.2k views at present, the amusing story has gone viral on Twitter with many asking the user questions on storage and customs rules.

On being asked by another user about the shelf life of tomatoes, usually a week, Revs said the 10 kg package would be made into pickles and chutneys, among other things, adding that as a family, they use a “ridiculous amount” of tomatoes for consumption.

Twitter user Nayantara Bagla said: “Best daughter award might be going in that direction for these times of inflation,”

Another user pointed out that her sister was a “saint of a daughter”.

Tomato prices have risen in recent weeks, rising from an average of Rs 20 per kg to as much as Rs 250 per kg in parts of the country.

Customs officials recently released three tonnes of tomatoes that were being smuggled into India from Nepal.

Tomatoes cost around Rs 100 to Rs 110 in Nepali currency, which is Rs 62-69 in India.

According to reports, delayed monsoons, high temperatures, and low production might be behind the increase in prices of tomatoes recently.

Heavy rains have also contributed to the significant spike in prices.

North Korea GDP per captia is about $1300, India is $2380, and China is $12700
Screenshot_20230721-142855_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 940016

Keep reaching your dream, it's good for you people. China's GDP growth rate for 2022 was 3.0% lowest due to covid effect, where you pick up the false figure from the trash article of SCMP, something you people can be proud, lol. China's growth rate for the first half of 2023 has already rebounded to 5.5%, are you sleeping to bring out the old data on China.

View attachment 940016

You should worry more about affording tomatoes now than the year 2047.

Soaring Indian Onion Prices May Hurt Modi More Than Tomatoes​

Lol. Onion prices always go up around this period and comes down by October. There was a tomato crisis for exactly a month and you 50 cent'ers ran propaganda. Its already down.

Screenshot_20230831-154316~2.png

Don't tax your brain, we will do well.

445% -- dang!!! are they competing with Pak... LOL...

Back
Top Bottom