What's new

7 Signs China's Economy Is Headed For Collapse

@atawolf l Please note that you are being noted for China obsession. We don't appreciate flame posting.
This is just economic analysis article. I didn't write it. Somebody else wrote it. I don't see how this is regarded as flame posting? You mean I'm not allowed to post Chinese economic news anymore? Just to be clear

Summary
  • China has a unique, state-driven model of capitalism that clueless economists have hailed as the “new model for economic success.”.
  • Bubbles get so extreme — and China’s bubble is the most extreme of all — that once they start to unwind, you get an avalanche of deleveraging and defaults.
  • I expect major problems in China likely by the summer or fall.
I have been warning for years that the greatest - and final - bubble to burst, in this century of bubbles, would be China. Now that cracks in the great red dragon's economy are widening, it's time to prepare for the worst.

China has a unique, state-driven model of capitalism that clueless economists have hailed as the "new model for economic success."

But I say China's model (and economy) will fail drastically, proving once and for all that government-planned economies do not work as well as free market capitalism balanced by democracy.

China has massively overbuilt everything: industrial capacity, housing, offices, malls, infrastructure, you name it.

It's overbuilt twice as much, and for twice as long, as any other government-driven emerging economy ever has. In fact, the last government-driven overinvestment spree occurred in Southeast Asia, and it resulted in a financial crisis between late 1997 and late 2002. And China has made that situation look puny by comparison.

There is no way this can end any way other than very, very badly. The question is: when will an economic collapse come? The answer is, sadly: sooner than you'd like.

Here are the seven signs the end is near…

Sign #1: Recently, a large Chinese property developer decided, for the first time, to discount condos by 40% when sales stalled.

The thing is, this is a shocking step to take in China. It's just not done.

The affluent Chinese line up to buy overbuilt, empty condos at insanely overpriced levels. They don't rent them out because there is no rental culture in the country. Ninety percent of homes are owned. They simply buy the property and let it stand empty… so when a developer cuts prices and thus devalues their investment, they get bitterly angry.

But this discounting trend is likely to spread rapidly now as more developers are forced to discount prices just to raise cash and avoid bankruptcy.

Sign #2: The richest man in China, with $31.9 billion, is Li Ka-shing. He and his son, Richard, have sold $3 billion of prime commercial properties in the last nine months. That tells me the smart money is leaving before the bubble bursts!

Sign #3: A Bain & Company/Chinese bank survey of affluent households showed that 60% of the rich are considering moving overseas because they don't trust government or the bubble, pollution levels are getting intolerable, and they want to get their kids an English-speaking education.

Sign #4: A number of major developers have gone bankrupt. These developers are highly leveraged and pose the greatest threat to the banking system, which has grown more through shadow banking and sub-prime lending in the last few years than anything sustainable. The worst new statistic, as developers pull back, is that housing starts in floor space dropped 37% in the first four months of 2013.

Sign #5: Bad loans are rising fast in China. The country's private debt is now higher than that of the U.S. or Europe, as you can see in the chart below. At 190% and rising, it's higher than emerging countries in Asia in 1998, when private debt peaked at 160% before a five-year currency and financial crisis.

27102343-14002691850870464-Harry-Dent.png

But note that this chart doesn't include financial sector or government debt. When you add those numbers into the pot, my estimates of the country's total debt is around 277% of GDP. That's much higher than other emerging countries like Brazil, which is at 152%, India at 130%, and Russia at 78%.

Emerging countries don't have nearly the private debt of developed nations because their incomes are low and their citizens and businesses are less creditworthy. So for China to have a total debt of around 277% is unprecedented for an emerging country.

Sign #6: A major agricultural co-op closed its doors and investors couldn't withdraw their deposits.

Sign #7: A major Chinese solar company defaulted on its bonds - the first to occur in China.

Thus far, the government has quietly bailed out or covered over the defaults and cracks. But they're now hinting that they're going to let more defaults happen to "slowly let the air out of the balloon."

The Chinese government simply doesn't have a clue. Actually, no government does. They always think they can deflate bubbles slowly to ensure a soft landing.

Soft landings never occur in major bubbles.

Bubbles don't correct. They burst.

They get so extreme - and China's bubble is the most extreme of all - that once they start to unwind, you get an avalanche of deleveraging and defaults that build on each other.

Bubbles become black holes.

I expect major problems in China likely by the summer or fall.

When China blows, there won't be an effective stimulus policy from the U.S., Europe, or Japan, to counter such a shock. It will make the U.S. sub-prime crisis look like a Sunday afternoon picnic.
7 Signs China's Economy Is Headed For Collapse | Seeking Alpha

With the permission of tengri, we will see equilibrium in East-Asia.

The only real concern is point #5. I posted about this in another thread, but China is starting to look dangerously over-leveraged. This, in itself, is not an issue, but the leverage is increasingly based on fraud. For example, commodity inventories are used as collateral for loans, and those commodity stocks are pledged multiple times to different lenders. This, of course, is fraud, and when the loans become non-performing and the bank attempts to collect the collateral, they find that either some other bank has already claimed it, or the collateral was fabricated to begin with and never existed. This could lead to a financial crisis.

Ironically, the opacity of China's financial system allows it to obscure the extent of the problem and thus forestall a panic. We see bits and pieces of information starting to come out (China’s commodity-lending fraud just got $15 billion bigger – Quartz) but it's unclear how widespread the issue is.

If this turns out to be contained, China's growth will not be interrupted for some time to come. If it's not contained, and China is subject to a financial crisis, it will take down the whole world and make the US financial crisis look like a pleasant dream. We should not hope for this outcome.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if China will "collapse" but their current model of growth is simply unsustainable. With an upcoming shrinkage of the Chinese workforce and other numerous problems such as their shadow banking system and housing bubble, their growth will continue to drop.

The only real concern is point #5. I posted about this in another thread, but China is starting to look dangerously over-leveraged. This, in itself, is not an issue, but the leverage is increasingly based on fraud. For example, commodity stocks are used as collateral for loans, and those commodity stocks are pledged multiple times to different lenders. This, of course, is fraud, and when the loans become non-performing and the bank attempts to collect the collateral, they find that either some other bank has already claimed it, or the collateral was fabricated to begin with and never existed. This could lead to a financial crisis.

Ironically, the opacity of China's financial system allows it to obscure the extent of the problem and thus forestall a panic. We see bits a pieces of information starting to come out (China’s commodity-lending fraud just got $15 billion bigger – Quartz but it's unclear how widespread the issue is.

If this turns out to be contained, China's growth will not be interrupted for some time to come. If it's not contained, and China is subject to a financial crisis, it will take down the whole world and make the US financial crisis look like a pleasant dream. We should not hope for this outcome.
True, that is why I think a full Chinese colllapse won't happen soon. Most probably they will extend it 5-10 years and give enough time for international markets to move away from China so it won't damage the world economy in critical way.

@atawolf l Please note that you are being noted for China obsession. We don't appreciate flame posting.

How long is this troll going to be allowed to post flame threads?
Close thread please.

I'm not sure if China will "collapse" but their current model of growth is simply unsustainable. With an upcoming shrinkage of the Chinese workforce and other numerous problems such as their shadow banking system and housing bubble, their growth will continue to drop.

US problems are:

credit bubble
bond bubble
stock bubble
$400 trillion in debt
shrinking GDP
aging population
labour force participation decline
poverty rising
crime increase
0% interest rates after 6 years
still need QE

US economy collapsed by 2.9%.
OUCH.

I don't know why the world is giving China crap for the economic slowdown from 10% to 7.7%.

China's slowdown is caused by weak performance in EU and North America, its biggest exporters, doesn't mean China will collapse.

Turkey's growth went from 7-8% to 2-4% after 2009 recession.
India dropped from 7-8% to 4-5% (?)
Brazil went from 6-7% to 1%.

The whole developing world is in a slowdown, not just China.

Every economy has a fall.... China has done fairly well through last recession. This massive boom will one day collapse.

The boom cannot go on forever.

China is a state built on genocide, they deserve what's coming to them.

So is North America. But that is no reason to hold China for blame due to history. What is done is done. Time to move on and make efforts to make everything right in the future. That's what Canada has learnt to do so; better to make right starting now rather than not doing anything about this.

Totalitarian regimes and its empire are bound to collapse one day. Writer is saying nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom