What's new

60s: Legandary Musicians of Karachi (Pakistan)

The way it is sold, the people who sell it make a lot of money and this is illegal.

When it was legal, the GoP used to make a lot of money from taxes charged on its sale.

I did not understand the point the making it illegal when it is still available but now gangsters, bootleggers and even the Taliban benefit from its sale.

well a lot of people will disagree with me when i say -- tax the shyte out of cigarettes and booze....that would generate income...instead of allowing bootleggers (who kill people with their crappy chemistry-set drinks), undeground dealers and even militant types to thrive on the trade

basic economics 101...where there's demand, there's supply. Prohibition never works, it never worked in America during great depression, it never works in Islamic countries even like Iran or Saudi Arabia (2 countries who provide Johhny Walker with some of its largest revenues)

im not saying or endorsing however the people go and get drunk. . . let that also be known. Though i am going off topic.

As for Alcohol, it is illegal now and hence what is sold does not benefit the government or the society. Alcohol used to make a lot of revenue for the GoP before it was made illegal.

well that is another point but its available freely here in my city atleast lolzz

Part 3

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

PART 4

Last edited by a moderator:
The Panthers are a Pakistani Surf Rock band from the 1960's. :)

Taken from 'Pakistan: Folk and Pop Instrumentals 1966-1978' by Sublime

Last edited by a moderator:
alcohol still flows freely like water in parts of the country, you just have to know where to look...its only illegal on paper, the rich pay ridiculous amounts of money to have premium bottles delivered to their door

i've seen it done, actually...

rs60000 for black label.......... bootleggers price.

Everything happens here............:tdown:

rs60000 for black label.......... bootleggers price.

Everything happens here............:tdown:

rs60,000????

that is beyond absurd dude.

a few years back you could get a 70cc honda motorbike for that kind of money. And it serves a purpose. What purpose is it to drink away money like that and have nothing to show for it once its gone?

I hope so.

There is a difference between the Christians we have today and those who left, mostly the ones from upper and upper middle classes left Pakistan in the 80's. This included many of these musicians, some might still be around but they are away from the spotlight. Same goes for Parsi's too whose number were halved during the same time.

As for Alcohol, it is illegal now and hence what is sold does not benefit the government or the society. Alcohol used to make a lot of revenue for the GoP before it was made illegal.

i am glad to hear that Pakistan had such a vibrant music scene back in the 60-70 era. i always knew that pakistan was a very liberal society back in those days. even India was more liberal in those days compared to today. I think the the middle and upper middle class in pakistan is still liberal. the government needs to change some policies and in few years things will change.

i am not sure the people of the minorities who left will ever come back but u need to embrace the ones left.

one more thing why bring alcohol in this topic. in india's experience prohibition only helps bootleggers.

Back
Top Bottom