What's new

60s: Legandary Musicians of Karachi (Pakistan)

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistani Musics specially Pop, Rock, Jazz had some detailed history. we only need to dig.

here are some amazing musicians rock bands of Pakistan from the era of 60s and before

Legendary Musicians of Karachi (LMK) 60s-70s

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan used to have a very good jazz scene back in the days, these groups used to play in famous hotels and other venues of our cities. That whole era was magnificent, if it could be like that again, it would make for a great country.

Good find Jana, didn't know you were researching of old school music.

Pakistan used to have a very good jazz scene back in the days, these groups used to play in famous hotels and other venues of our cities. That whole era was magnificent, if it could be like that again, it would make for a great country.

Good find Jana, didn't know you were researching of old school music.

:) i have a strange habit of reading almost all kinds of books, literature, fiction, novels, good bad stuff and listening to all kinds of music since my school days so this habit grew with me .

i was thinking if back in 60s, 50s onward to bhutto era if attire was more western, alcohol was not that an issue in public then how come we missed Music at that time so started searching for. its amazing they were not only good but seems they were an educated lot too.

i am more happy to see that Pakistani Christians were so great musicians.

Karachi rocks !!! never seize to surprise !!

Nice habit, its good to know and learn more all the time.

A majority of the bands were Christians and they were very good indeed. The culture of the time was supportive of their work too and it showed in their get up. Funny thing is that back then even with alcohol being legal, only a small amount used to consume it and that too moderately, there were no problems like we have now with alcohol poisoning and other related issues.

This almost seems like it could never be Pakistan, I happen to know some people like this who stuck it out to the end but most if not all have left the country or live a very secluded life.

Nice habit, its good to know and learn more all the time.

A majority of the bands were Christians and they were very good indeed. The culture of the time was supportive of their work too and it showed in their get up. Funny thing is that back then even with alcohol being legal, only a small amount used to consume it and that too moderately, there were no problems like we have now with alcohol poisoning and other related issues.

This almost seems like it could never be Pakistan, I happen to know some people like this who stuck it out to the end but most if not all have left the country or live a very secluded life.

It will be like that once again i am dead sure :)

You know here in Peshawar we have all music bands (they play on marriage or other such functions) now we call them DJ bands here and 99.9% of these our Pakistani Christians. they have great playing skills and good voices.

BTW alcohol is available here freely and consumed

i think Pakistani music went through a dim period --especially after the loss of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (the legend, an icon of our country) but it pleases me that in the face of unfavourable political developments Pakistanis are still resilient and defiant as ever --- and the music industry is peaking again.

and more and more people outside of Pakistan are beginning to appreciate it. . .

I never knew much about Pakistani jazz, but its a great genre that (like most others) transcends borders. Not we have jazz, rock, rap, electronic and classical musics to suit everybody's tastes.

It's a good thing. Art and culture should never be neglected or ignored. Unlike some other countries, we keep it real to the roots (through vocal methods, instruments, etc.)

It will be like that once again i am dead sure :)

You know here in Peshawar we have all music bands (they play on marriage or other such functions) now we call them DJ bands here and 99.9% of these our Pakistani Christians. they have great playing skills and good voices.

BTW alcohol is available here freely and consumed

I hope so.

There is a difference between the Christians we have today and those who left, mostly the ones from upper and upper middle classes left Pakistan in the 80's. This included many of these musicians, some might still be around but they are away from the spotlight. Same goes for Parsi's too whose number were halved during the same time.

As for Alcohol, it is illegal now and hence what is sold does not benefit the government or the society. Alcohol used to make a lot of revenue for the GoP before it was made illegal.

alcohol still flows freely like water in parts of the country, you just have to know where to look...its only illegal on paper, the rich pay ridiculous amounts of money to have premium bottles delivered to their door

i've seen it done, actually...

alcohol still flows freely like water in parts of the country, you just have to know where to look...its only illegal on paper, the rich pay ridiculous amounts of money to have premium bottles delivered to their door

i've seen it done, actually...

The way it is sold, the people who sell it make a lot of money and this is illegal.

When it was legal, the GoP used to make a lot of money from taxes charged on its sale.

I did not understand the point the making it illegal when it is still available but now gangsters, bootleggers and even the Taliban benefit from its sale.

Back
Top Bottom