What's new

5.56mm EXCALIBUR Rifle Prototype Pass 'Water' & 'Mud' Tests; only 2 stoppage after 2,400 rounds fire

There are so many awesome ancient Sanskrit names to call a rifle but they choose 'Excalibur', an Anglo Arthurian name.

What is the Sanskrit word for sword?

Or what about Chakra? Or that blunt Indian boradsword, bladed flail, kris etc.

Yes, but at the rate we are making/buying weapons we seen to run out of new and relevant Sanskrit names. Our is a pacifist language, not many names applicable and all the good ones are taken

Quite a tragedy right? More weapons than nouns - such is a society we live in

""However it is prestige, not economics, which has made the army chief throw his weight behind the Excalibur. American infantrymen carry the US-made M-16 rifle as their basic weapon; Russians carry the Russian AK-74M; and China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has indigenously built its new QBZ-95 rifle. Now the Indian Army is gearing up to equip its jawans with the Excalibur.""

I think there is some sign in the changes of the institutional mindset of the Indian Army.
They are began to think about prestige of acquring own weapon.

And Excalibur is another milestone if we inducted for our Army .INSAS development was an hell of experience.

Yes, but at the rate we are making/buying weapons we seen to run out of new and relevant Sanskrit names. Our is a pacifist language, not many names applicable and all the good ones are taken

Quite a tragedy right? More weapons than nouns - such is a society we live in

Serious?

There is no way you could run out this fast. If it really does run out, just change it to a different Indian language or run two words together. Like Sanskrit for 'fire spear', 'fire sword' etc

The name 'Excalibur' is just poor taste by the designers.

There are so many awesome ancient Sanskrit names to call a rifle but they choose 'Excalibur', an Anglo Arthurian name.

It will probably not be that good in Sanskrit.
'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds' is so hauntingly beautiful and scarily awesome. But would you say the same for this?
kaalo'smi lokakshayakrit pravrddho
lokaan samahartum iha pravrttaH
rte'pi tvaam na bhavishyanti sarve
ye'vasthithaaH pratyaniikeShu yoddhaaH

Last edited:
It is probably not be that good in Sanskrit.
'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds' is so hauntingly beautiful and scarily awesome. But would you say the same for this?

In original Sanskrit writing/script, yes. Anything would be better than 'Excalibur'.

Ain't 60000 too high for a home grown Excaliber considering an imported bulgarian AK costs only 20k?Also an M4 with quad rail only costs 1000 USD ,
I was wondering the same thing.And if this figure is correct,then I don't think IA or the CAPFs should go on with this rifle,because they can get the MCIWS if they wait a little longer and pay a bit more.

Since the cost of it has been compared to multi-cal's tender - It includes a conversion kit and accessories package including UBL's, holographic and laser sights etc. INSAS 1B1 with conversion kit costs INR 35,000.

According to the original multi-cals' tender - At over Rs 2 lakh a piece, each multi-caliber assault rifle with a conversion kit would have costed twice the price of a regular imported assault rifle and six times the cost of a Rs 35,000 OFB-made INSAS rifle.

Agree - they should have used a Sanskrit name instead as they do with all other in-house developments. The Sanskrit word for sword is "kRpANa" (sounds rhyming with the Japanese sword 'Katana'). India's only SSN has already been designated "INS Chakra".

According to the OEM - here's why they named it "Excalibur" -

Derived from the famous INSAS weapon systems of India which have been tested in large scale infantry combat, anti-terrorist and mob control situations, this weapon is called the INSAS EXCALIBUR MARK-I incorporates, in addition to the features of earlier INSAS Weapons, certain characteristics which makes it truly the ultimate sword- �THE EXCALIBUR�. The reasons for calling it Excalibur are that it incorporates the features of a weapon which is rugged for battlefield engagements and at the same time capable of being light and easy to handle during low intensity conflict and CQB situations. It has ergonomically designed with folding butt and can fire 20-30 rounds magazines. It is also fitted with picaatinny rails for mounting of opto electronic devices.

Ordnance Factory Board

Since the cost of it has been compared to multi-cal's tender - It includes a conversion kit and accessories package including UBL's, holographic and laser sights etc. INSAS 1B1 with conversion kit costs INR 35,000.

According to the original multi-cals' tender - At over Rs 2 lakh a piece, each multi-caliber assault rifle with a conversion kit would have costed twice the price of a regular imported assault rifle and six times the cost of a Rs 35,000 OFB-made INSAS rifle.

I see and it seems about right.But then,an imported Tavor,which were not multi caliber, costed us 200k per piece,and it was back in 2005!!Who knows what price tag these new ones like Bren CZ or ARX would have come attached with.

Agree - they should have used a Sanskrit name instead as they do with all other in-house developments. The Sanskrit word for sword is "kRpANa" (sounds rhyming with the Japanese sword 'Katana'). India's only SSN has already been designated "INS Chakra".

According to the OEM - here's why they named it "Excalibur" -

Ordnance Factory Board
Oh come on young man!!It's the age of globalization,and besides,English is easier to spell than is Sanskrit..............to me at least,never really liked the later. :P

I am become death!! o_O

Why doesn't india just buy some m4 carbines to replace the insas. The m4s are far superior to the QBZ junk china has at present. Or if it partners with the U.S to make an indigenous rifle it would quite possibly have the best assault rifle in asia.

Oh come on young man!!It's the age of globalization,and besides,English is easier to spell than is Sanskrit..............to me at least,never really liked the later. :P

They were probably thinking to market it as an export variant since Excalibur was not originally envisaged to replace INSAS 1B1.

I am become death!! o_O

Yeah - it's like that only - Julius Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb recalled the quote that way only after Trinity Nuclear Tests, the first ever detonation of a nuclear bomb on Earth in 1945. -

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

Capture.JPG

They were probably thinking to market it as an export variant since Excalibur was not originally envisaged to replace INSAS 1B1.

That's unlikely,cause if indeed they had been thinking on such lines,then they wouldn't have included the full automatic feature into the Excalibur.

Yeah - it's like that only - Julius Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb recalled the quote that way only after Trinity Nuclear Tests, the first ever detonation of a nuclear bomb on Earth in 1945. -

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

Capture.JPG

Oh,now I see.

Why doesn't india just buy some m4 carbines to replace the insas. The m4s are far superior to the QBZ junk china has at present. .

That would be nice...............only if it were to be M16A4 rather than M4.

Capture.JPG

You do realize that the translation is wrong.

Kaala is not Death, its TIME.

Its says I am TIME, not I am death. :disagree:

Back
Top Bottom