What's new

4000 years old Saraswati River Coming back to life...

Star Wars

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...-reviving-it-100-cusecs-at-a-time-259568.html

The 'lost' Saraswati river, which mythologically dried up some 4000 years ago, was brought back to life, or rather put on life support this Friday when the Haryana government pumped 100 cusecs of water (1 cusec = 28.317 litres per second) into it.

The water was pushed into a dug-up channel, from tubewells at Uncha Chandna village in Yamunanagar.

Officials expect that the water will reach Kurukshetra, 40 kilometres away
2015_5$largeimg16_may_2015_224755703_1469164025.jpg

BCCL

Anil Kumar Gupta, Engineer-in-Chief, Haryana Irrigation Department, told The Indian Express: “We have released water into the river at Uncha Chandna on Thursday. Initially, 100 cusecs of water has been released. It is likely to go up to Kurukshetra. It is yet to be seen how much further the water goes. Once we see that there are no obstructions in the flow of water then another 100 cusecs will be released. This could be done in another fortnight.”

The government plans to build three dams on the river route to keep it flowing throughout the river, after claiming to have found the river during digging at Yamunanagar.

47218242_1469164066.jpg

BCCL

The river is considered the personification of Goddess Saraswati - it is believed that it was on the banks of the Saraswati that parts of the Rig Veda were written.

Somewhere close to 4,000 years ago, Saraswati dried up and was forgotten, till earlier this year when it's route was traced and a board set up to bring it back to life. As many as 80 people who were digging the course of the Saraswati in Mugalwali village of Yamunanagar district when they noticed water coming out at a shallow depth of just eight feet.

It was for the first time since the project to trace the original route of River Saraswati was launched in April the excavation team discovered water. The Saraswati Heritage Development Board which is in charge of the operations say the monsoon will sustain the river as of now, for a later stage they are planning to build a dam at Adi Badri, considered the origin of the Vedic era river to ensure the water flow. The Manohar Lal Khattar government in Haryana had allocated Rs. 50 crores to the project aimed at discovering the river considered sacred by Hindus.

Even the central government and especially Minister for Water Resources Uma Bharati had in 2014 made "finding the missing river" a priority of the Modi government

map_of_vedic_india_1469163654.jpg

Wikipedia

"There is enough scientific evidence on the presence of the river Saraswati in some parts of the country through which it flowed about five to six thousand years ago. Saraswati is not a myth", Bharati had said in August 2014. Extensively referred to in the Vedas and Hindu epics, mythical Saraswati river, according to the historians, had dried up 4,000 years ago. In Rig Veda, the river is mentioned as flowing between the Yamuna in the east and the Sutlej in the west. The Mahabharata, mentions that the Saraswati dried up in a desert. According to beliefs the river passed through areas of Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat and parts of Pakistan.

Even though modern science never acknowledged the existence of the river post-independence a number of efforts have been undertaken to prove its existence.

saraswatimystery.png

Last edited:
@Star Wars
Pumping groundwater into a river any good? Economical according to irrigation benefits?

@Star Wars
Pumping groundwater into a river any good? Economical according to irrigation benefits?

Not much of a geologist, but i assume yes, increased water conservation, Fresh water from monsoon will be collected there. There will be a massive change in the bio diversity around the river. Also irrigation benefits for farmers in the Region. We are literally recreating a brand new river...

Yes.. as someone who's family history is connected to this river I am extremely overjoyed. If one reads the sacred texts he sees how the sarasvati had been drying up. So the three texts Rig Veda , Ramayana and Mahabharatha describe the river but one can see how through the ages the river started drying. here copy paste:

In Rigveda, the Vedic Saraswati, is described as the mightiest river – “Seven sistered, sprung from three-fold sources” [6:61:12]. Again it is described as “Saptathi Sindhumata” i.e., mother of seven rivers strongly flowing and swelling in volumes (7:36:6).

and Mahabharata

Mahabharata gives a clear geographical account of Sarasvati becoming a non-perennial river vanishing and re-appearing in the deserts [3:80:118 & 9:36:1], surviving in the form of a number of lakes e.g. Brahmasar, jyotisar, Kaleswar (in Haryana), Katasar, Pandusar & Ravisar (in Rajasthan). Kurukshetra is described as located in the south of Sarasvati and north of Drishadvati [Mbh. 3:81:115]

I can't find the blog that detailed how in each epoch the river started drying ...hopefully research will reveal how and why it happened...

No offence, but when you dig it up yourself and put water into it yourself, it's called a canal not river. :coffee:

No offence, but when you dig it up yourself and put water into it yourself, it's called a canal not river. :coffee:

Irrelevant what one calls it, this will completely change the entire region around the River

My maternal grandparents lives in Kurukshetra.
There is a very small seasonal river passing through Kurukshetra, which locals believe as Saraswati river.
It is a seasonal river, which floods nearby areas while monsoons....
i have lived for 20 years there.
My Grandpa used to tell me that it was once more than one kilometer wide.
Although i never believed them, but what intruged me was presence of sand underneath couple of feets of soil in nearby areas of that river.
There is no sand anywhere else in Kurukshetra, but areas near that river has pure sand underneath the layer of soil.
This fact alone supports the presence if the river.

My maternal grandparents lives in Kurukshetra.
There is a very small seasonal river passing through Kurukshetra, which locals believe as Saraswati river.
It is a seasonal river, which floods nearby areas while monsoons....
i have lived for 20 years there.
My Grandpa used to tell me that it was once more than one kilometer wide.
Although i never believed them, but what intruged me was presence of sand underneath couple of feets of soil in nearby areas of that river.
There is no sand anywhere else in Kurukshetra, but areas near that river has pure sand underneath the layer of soil.
This fact alone supports the presence if the river.

Did I say, once upon a time, there was no such river? What those guys are doing is called canal. There is a fundamental difference in a canal and a river.

You didnt got my point buddy,
what I was saying is they are not digging the canal, the river already exists there...
they might broaden it or work upon the already existing river ( or whatever is left of it ).

@Paksanity

You didnt got my point buddy,
what I was saying is they are not digging the canal, the river already exists there...
they might broaden it or work upon the already existing river ( or whatever is left of it ).

@Paksanity

What he means is the river doesnt exist today and what they did can be called as canal. That is true too. Except that this is not a new canal but we are using the old river trial itself. So though we call it river now, it is too early to say so.

Back
Top Bottom