What's new

4 maritime patrol jets and 4 amphibious warships for Navy

Nah..Including both flavor will ruin the dish..
One advantage that Juan Carlos has over Mistral is that it is capable of flying F-35 VTOL version. However if tweaked a little Even Mistral should be able to handle them..What you think..?

Hi,
The news is about "Trenton/Jalashwa" class ships i.e. LPDs. Their primary function will be to transport men and material. Helicopters will be embarked for VERTREP/CASEVAC etc.
That is why i said neither of the above. IMHO, it will be a design specific to Indian requirements.

BTW, Sancho also noticed that (subtle) difference in his post

Hi,
The news is about "Trenton/Jalashwa" class ships i.e. LPDs. Their primary function will be to transport men and material. Helicopters will be embarked for VERTREP/CASEVAC etc.
That is why i said neither of the above. IMHO, it will be a design specific to Indian requirements.

BTW, Sancho also noticed that (subtle) difference in his post

Yes..BTW we have a habit of changing requirements by the time RFI comes out..Anyways MISTRAL/JUAN CARLOS is just my wish..

Well Mistral can carry good load with the helicopters...

Exactly, that's why I prefer it too, but the article is talking about more LPDs like the INS Jalashwa, that mainly carries landing vehicles, but only a few helicopters. LPDs will only support an aircraft carrier, while LHDs could be used as a smaller carrier with a carrier group itself.

My personal favorite would be MISTRAL or, Juan Carlos .

I have always shouted for medium and large LPDs for the Navy. It will be a quantum leap in Navy's capabilities after the carriers and P-15A/P-15B destroyers. It will add the capability to fight far from our shore.

Along with Mistral and JC navy should consider South Korean Dokdo class. Note recent visit of defence minister their and signed agreement of cooperation in warship building. But istral also has good chance.

SK's Dokdo class
SHIP_LPH_ROKS_Dokdo_Frontal_lg.jpg

Mistral class
Tonnerre_&

Indian built medium size INS Airavat
INS_Airavat_commissioning_2.jpg

Frankly i too prefer Dokdo class LPD of South korea
Coz it is smaller than Minstral class not to mention being cheaper and also capable of operating F35B aircraft
Dokdo weighs in at 14500 Ton compared to Minstral Which weigh 17000 ton empty and 21000 ton full load

Well looking at Juan Carlos Images which u guys have posted , to me it looks like a souped up destroyer where a flight deck was added as an after thought
The MOD should have gone for building 2 ships in foreign shipyards rather than getting all of them built at domestic yards
Our shipyard are already overloaded and would not be able to deliver the first ship before 2020 if contract is signed by 2012, navy requires all 4 of these ships by 2022 as per its 15 yr Expansion plan announced in 2007

Korean DOKDO class looks impressive...
Lets see which one is selected...??

why not IN go for missile cruiser ???? it is more then wearth

I think the reason IN is going for LPDs is to guard the waters where we dont have the means to protect our interests..Missile cruisers serve entirely different purpose..

I think the reason IN is going for LPDs is to guard the waters where we dont have the means to protect our interests..Missile cruisers serve entirely different purpose..

Actually for IN such large LPDs are more offensive weapon than even a cruiser. The main purpose of them are amphibious assault into enemy territory. They also have peacetime humanitarian applications. Also or new P-15B DDGs will serve the capabilities of a cruiser with long range cruise missiles.

Some more info about Dokdo class...

Tonnage: 14,300 tons (empty) / 18,800 tons (full)
Length: 199 m (653 ft)
Beam: 31 m (102 ft)
Draught: 7 m (23 ft)
Propulsion: 4 S.E.M.T. Pielstick 16 PC2.5 STC Diesel engine
Speed: 23 knots (43 km/h) maximum
18 knots (33 km/h) cruising
Boats and landing
craft carried: 2 LSF-II or LCAC
Capacity: Up to 200 vehicles
Troops: 720 marines, 6 tanks, 7 amphibious assault vehicles
Crew: 700

Sensors and
processing systems: SMART-L air search radar, MW08 surface search radar,AN/SPS-95K navigation radar, TACAN,VAMPIR-MB optronic sight
Electronic warfare
and decoys: ESM/ECM:SLQ-200(v)5K SONATA, Chaff launcher
Armament: Two Goalkeeper CIWS, One RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile
Aircraft carried: Up to 15 helicopters (15 UH-60 Black Hawk or 10 SH-60F Ocean Hawk helicopters)
2 LCACs (Landing Craft Air Cushioned)

Aviation facilities: Flight deck and hanger

source: wiki

Dokdo.jpg

SHIP_LPH_ROKS_Dokdo_Launches_AAVs_lg.jpg

dokdo1.jpg

Dokdo-class-amphibious-assault-ship.jpg

south-korean-navy-helicopter-flies-in-front-of-the-navys-landing-platform-helicopter-dokdo.jpg

1164995029_08d8e8964a_o.gif

Great news.

Some options that may be considered-

- Mistral class amphibious assault ship, France

Le_Tonnerre.JPG

- Canberra class landing helicopter dock, Australia

Canberra_Class_-_Tenix_copyright,_fair_use_claimed.jpg

- Juan Carlos, Spain

LHD_Juan_Carlos_I_(L-61)-02.jpg

- Dokdo class amphibious assault ship, South Korea

ROKS_Dokdo_assisting_search_and_rescue_of_ROKS_Cheonan,_cropped.jpg

- America class amphibious assault ship, USA

USS_America_(LHA-6)_-_050718-O-0000X-001.jpg

The America class amphibious assault ships are planned to replace the Tarawa class. Based on the USS Makin Island (LHD-8), the LHA-6 will be a gas turbine powered ship supporting a Marine Expeditionary Brigade with launch capacity for MV-22B Osprey tiltrotors, helicopters, and F-35B STOVL strike fighters.

To increase the number of accommodated aircraft, it will feature greater hangar space but not the well decks that are used to house landing craft on the Tarawa and Wasp class amphibious assault ships. Formerly known as the LHA(R), the first ship is due to be delivered in 2013. At displacement of 45,000 tons and carrying a complement of strike fighters, it can serve in the small carrier role, as demonstrated by LHD operations in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The typical aircraft complement for the America class is expected to be twelve MV-22B Ospreys, eight AH-1Z Vipers, ten F-35Bs, four CH-53Ks and four Navy MH-60S "Knighthawks". The exact makeup of the ship's aircraft complement will vary according to its mission.

USS America (LHA-6), the fourth US Navy ship to bear the name, will be the first ship in the class.

I included the America class because I felt that Sancho made a point with the Carrier role of the amphibious assault ships.

Last edited:
AMERICA class has more than 45K tons displacement..This is bigger than many carriers operated by various navies..
Australian Canberra class is still being built..? i though Aussies were going for Juan Carlos class.

MISTRAL/JUAN CARLOS is the way to go..

AMERICA CLASS SHIPS ARE WAY TOO HEAVY.FIRSTLY WE NEED TO INDUCT SOMEWHAT SMALL SIZE SHIPS FOR INCREAMENT OF FLEET.

AMERICA class has more than 45K tons displacement..This is bigger than many carriers operated by various navies..
Even I thought the same way but although being enormous for an Amphibious assault ship(AAS), it can carry out two roles, of amphibious assault & that of an aircraft carrier, both quite effectively. That means we don't need to buy dedicated AAS or AC when one ship can do the job of both, a cost effective option as well. It is just my outlook.

Australian Canberra class is still being built..? i though Aussies were going for Juan Carlos class.
Yep, they are going on with the Canberra class. One is under construction (as per wiki)
Canberra class landing helicopter dock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MISTRAL/JUAN CARLOS is the way to go..

+Dokdo would be the major contenders here, i guess.

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom