$3 billion from Saudi Arabia to the Lebanese National Army

Full Moon

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia to give Lebanese army $3 bln

By Al Arabiya News | Staff writer
Sunday, 29 December 2013

Saudi Arabia is giving the Lebanese national army $3 billion in aid, Lebanon's President Michel Suleiman said on Sunday, describing it as the largest grant given to the armed forces in Lebanon’s history.

“The king of the brotherly Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is offering this generous and appreciated aid of $3 billion to the Lebanese army to strengthen its capabilities,” Suleiman said in a televised address.

For what reason exactly? I am starting to believe that we should not give any outsiders anything unless they don't do the same to us.

When was the last time a country donated anything to KSA?

People treat KSA like it was a charity fund.

How exactly can we benefit from tiny Lebanon? I don't understand such moves. Do they think that we have eternal resources so they can throw around billions of dollars like it was nothing? Especially since we first of all need to look after our own.

Sorry for sounding negative.

Why not help actual neighbors for once, Yemen for instance, that is much more in need of that and is 10 times more populous and 30 times bigger with a lot more potential.

Lebanon is not going to become a GCC state anyway. It is a tiny peace of land with little importance.

It looks like they want to strengthen the Lebanese Army's power over Hezbollah's power.

Hezbollah has effectively been ruling Lebanon since 2005.

Apparently, France will be the major supplier. President Holland met today with King Abdullah in KSA -- and the discussion inevitably included this upcoming arms deal.

It looks like they want to strengthen the Lebanese Army's power over Hezbollah's power.

Hezbollah has effectively been ruling Lebanon since 2005.

Yes, let us waste billions on conflicts that does not concern us. Let others fight their own wars. Seriously.

Anyway who cares? Let them "rule" tiny Southern Lebanon for 1000 more years. Like we should care.

What do we gain from this?

We should look for our immediate region first let alone home.

I ask again:

WE HAVE NO OBLIGATIONS TO ANYONE.

Yes, let us waste billions on conflicts that does not concern us. Let others fight their own wars. Seriously.

Anyway who cares? Let them "rule" tiny Southern Lebanon for 1000 more years. Like we should care.

I ask again:

Hilarious.

Do you know how regional strategy and politics works? Countering a regional foe in Lebanon inhibits its ability to threaten you in Bahrain, Yemen and, thus, in Saudi Arabia.

Hilarious.

Do you know how regional strategy and politics works? Countering a regional foe in Lebanon inhibits its ability to threaten you in Bahrain, Yemen and, thus, in Saudi Arabia.

Nobody can threaten KSA. All talk. Bahrain does not pose a threat. We invaded that little island already. Never will.

Yemen? What you talking about? Yemen is no threat but a ally. The only threat is the Houthi cult and morons who are hiding in the mountains like monkeys. They have no geopolitical influence. You must be joking.

A rag-tag militia like HizbAlShaitan compromised of some 1000 people located 1500 km from KSA pose no threat whatsoever to the state of KSA.

Anyway who are you? Does this news concern you? Are you from the Arab world or living there?

Dont't meddle in a disucssion concerning two Saudi Arabians discussing internal Saudi Arabian matters/foreign policy.

I ask again:

I think they are mainly worried about being encircled by Iran's allies in the region, namely the current Iraqi regime, Al Asad, and Hezbollah.

Egypt was about to fall into that list during Morsi's presidency -- that may explain their massive support for the coup which was completely unhidden.

Last edited:
When I see our money wasted I have a right to pinpoint that. Donating money or keeping organizations/countries afloat will never help you anyway. Only for a short time. Like pissing on your own pants to keep warm. It only works for a few seconds.

Anyway this discussion concerns Saudi Arabian foreign policy of which you haven nothing to do with thus your opinion matters nothing to me.

I think they are mainly worried about being encircled by Iran's allies in the region, namely the current Iraqi regime, Al Asad, and Hezbollah.

Egypt was about to fall into that list during Morsi's presidency -- that may explain their massive support for the coup which was completely unhidden.

You did not answer my question.

What nonsense. The same Al-Ashead who can't control over half of his own country and who will belong to the dustbin of history and who is not a neighbor? The same Al-Maliki who is heading a federal state in total chaos? Iran? You serious?

In 50 years time when all those billion of dollars that have been donated (meaning little in reality) will be regretted and we the people will think (or our next generation) what the hell our government was thinking when they acted like some Santa Claus on steroids.

And the people receiving that will thank us and act like loyal slaves in public but behind our backs they will laugh at our stupidity and when we are of no use anymore they will abandon us.

We can only trust the countries and people of the Arabian Peninsula fully and the Sunni Arab countries. This is our immediate region.

@Tihamah

Last edited:
Wow, you duly combine ignorance with arrogance. Your arguments are so superficial they aren't even worthy of detailed response.

Yes, I am from the Arab World. What difference does that make? Does that avail you of some embedded psychological complex you have? Are you so insecure in yourself that you hide behind national boundaries to insulate yourself from critique from non-Arabs? If that is your mentality, why on earth are you, an Arab, here on a Pakistani forum?

Allah yishfeek.

You are not a Saudi Arabian at least so as I said your opinion is of no importance. You don't know what is going on anyway. Don't teach us what to believe when this news concern us and nobody else outside of those receiving this aid (Lebanese Army and Lebanon).

Then use something else than the New Zealand flag.

Look at those massive ammount of cash that they could've provide to the Syrian refugees or build the displaced camps but armed Lebanese army instead. Lebanese army = Hezbollat.

According to the news I read before, majority of the army are Hezbollay loyalist.

Look at those massive ammount of cash that they could've provide to the Syrian refugees or build the displaced camps but armed Hezbollat instead. Lebanese army = Hezbollat.

According to the news I read before majority of the army are Hezbollat loyalist.

Agree. Stupid decision. The Lebanese army cannot be trusted. The money should have been used for Syria instead. All of it. We are closer to Syria anyway by nature and virtue of almost everything.

When I see our money wasted I have a right to pinpoint that. Donating money or keeping organizations/countries afloat will never help you anyway. Only for a short time. Like pissing on your own pants to keep warm. It only works for a few seconds.

Anyway this discussion concerns Saudi Arabian foreign policy of which you haven nothing to do with thus your opinion matters nothing to me.

You did not answer my question.

What nonsense. The same Al-Ashead who can't control over half of his own country and who will belong to the dustbin of history and who is not a neighbor? The same Al-Maliki who is heading a federal state in total chaos? Iran? You serious?

In 50 years time when all those billion of dollars that have been donated (meaning little in reality) will be regretted and we the people will think (or our next generation) what the hell our government was thinking when they acted like some Santa Claus on steroids.

And the people receiving that will thank us and act like loyal slaves in public but behind our backs they will laugh at our stupidity and when we are of no use anymore they will abandon us.

We can only trust the countries and people of the Arabian Peninsula fully. This is our immediate region.

@Tihamah

Man...chill out :-)

The money wasted on corruption outnumber all of the foreign aid you can think of :-)

I am also not a big fan of foreign aid to begin with.

Man...chill out :-)

The money wasted on corruption outnumber all of the foreign aid you can think of :-)

I am also not a big fan of foreign aid to begin with.

Can't when I see the same mistakes being committed again and again.

This is another topic.

But don't you agree that the priorities are totally wrong? Why not secure an actual neighbor (not a tiny small and distant country) such as Yemen first which poses a bigger security threat to our immediate security than tiny Lebanon 1500 km away or so.

Today the urgent need is Syria which is 1000 times more important. That's where the money should have gone.

Instead they are playing Santa Claus on steroids giving 3 billion of dollars (!) to a entity that cannot be trusted fully.

Anyway time will tell but news like this annoy me. I have been silent in the past but today I let it out.

But if this turns Lebanon into a real sovereign Arab country free from HizbAlShaitan then this will be money well spent but I seriously doubt it.

The government should not have their hands full everywhere but focus on a few areas of vital importance instead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom