What's new

2.75 Million Olive Trees Planted in Pakistan.

I never said there were NO olive trees ever in Pakistan,
However Olive is originated around the Mediterranean, not here.

Our present attempts to disturb natural balance are silly, and based on ill placed hopes of making / saving money.
Fact: there is already enough olive plantation in the world to sustain supply.

As you will keep increase production, prices will go further down.

Basic economics, which I am sure whoever made the olive policy failed at.

Sir G, according to my knowledge olive is since long in Pakistan but only 'male' variety and locally know as 'Kahho'. Even there is a place near Rawalpindi/Islamabad know as 'Barah-Kahho'. There are great number of trees male olive variety in that area and that's why that area was named.
Olive oil is costlier all over the world, here in ME, corn/sunflower/canola costs around Pak Rs 400/= per litre as compared to olive oil priced at 900/= per litre. Further it has health and medicinal values.
Good for Pakistan's economy, to plant it aggressively and start exporting.
The amazing thing is after plantation you have to wait 3 years for first harvesting. Under optimal look after/conditions, generations could enjoy the financial benefits from olive plantation at average for 500 years, olive trees could live up to more than 1000 years.

Actually, Olive is not entirely foreign. Just to give an example from a place almost all of us have visited, if you leave for Muree from Islamabad then as soon as you leave Islamabad, the bushes on the hills on side of the roads are all olive. Wild olive that never gave fruit. When the projected started some year back it started with grafting of those wild olive plants. The results and production was so good that they decided to work on species that is suitable for Pakistan. Now we have multiple species which are all giving excellent results. Add in value addition/end product processes and you have a high potential industry/product.

Would you like to share some articles on a new thread here on defence.pk and tag me too? Not on this thread please,

:-)
Agreed!

YES there is a particular name of this technique, Miaywaki method i guess!. A good friend of mine working in LDA these days initiated and managed such plantation project in Lahore-Liberty Market with excellent results. With just six moths or so gone, the area already have started looking different.

I never said there were NO olive trees ever in Pakistan,
However Olive is originated around the Mediterranean, not here.

Our present attempts to disturb natural balance are silly, and based on ill placed hopes of making / saving money.

Basic economics, which I am sure whoever made the olive policy failed at.
I respect your point of view, but there are things i cannot agree with. For example:

That is what i am telling you. THese are not PRESENT ATTEMPTS. The Olive plants/tree are already here in the wild, we are just grafting and introducing new and better species. It is not like we are trying to plant a foreign species here. These already exist and thrive in our climate in the wild!

NO and YES
The price indicates (double than that of corn oil, 3 to 5 times Canola oil) that there is still more demand than supply.

YES, that is the idea. To increase production and get the cost down. Cooking oil is among our largest exports. Anything to produce it at home is welcomed. Olive give an added advantage of being long life plant and better quality oil. It is not just export oriented. Our local demand is huge itself.

There is an updated report on the olive production in Pakistan today on October 28. Olive trees which were planted 5 years ago are now stated to bear fruit. The olive tress project director mentioned these tress were planted in barren lands of Pothohar region, so these tress would not compete with other crops.

Project director also mentioned these trees have potential to replace apple orchards in Baluchistan since those apple tress are suffering due to lack of water.

Update: Pakistan's Olive Oil Industry

these plants require years to grow and give fruits so it seems they were being planted from past many years if they are ready now,italy has great weather and grow almost all types of fruits in single area so we should benefit from their experience in this regard

It depends on spices and type of plant. Grafted plant can start giving fruits in 1 to 2 years which generally takes 6 to 10 years. For example mangoes. Lemon trees takes 3 years to give fruits but grafted plants give them right from begining. In miyawaki, plants grow 4 to 10 time faster. However, local trees are generally planted to grow jungle.

Now its 3.6 million trees as of Octuber 2021. The speed of planting trees has increased and hopefully will reach 5 million in 2022. Spain alone have like 300 million trees.

Pakistan Imports oil and if it can produce abundant edible oil it will ensure good quality oil is used for cooking

Olive oil based on my knowledge is loved by Italians for cooking because it does not "Burns" like Canola oil and because it does not burns itself it does not produces negative compounds in cooking as it happens with Canola etc, the secret was very high temperature required by Olive Oil to "burn"

People also sprinkle it raw over toast or bread to add a distinct flavor

This is one of the most stupid things and represents the short sighted nature of planners.

Instead of focusing on what is native to this climate and land, and can be processed as value add product,
they are focusing on olive oil.

The world has enough olive oil and the only reason it is expensive in pakistan is due to tax.
World has it. U dont
Olive is native to KPK . but its the wild olive that bears very inconstent fruit

If any citrus isnt native to pakistan yet pakistan is the largest producer with very little exports while olive oil we imports billions of $$

Olive oil consumes 1/10th of water of what citrus does

Pakistan Imports oil and if it can produce abundant edible oil it will ensure good quality oil is used for cooking

Olive oil based on my knowledge is loved by Italians for cooking because it does not "Burns" like Canola oil and because it does not burns itself it does not produces negative compounds in cooking as it happens with Canola etc, the secret was very high temperature required by Olive Oil to "burn"

People also sprinkle it raw over toast or bread to add a distinct flavor
Actually extra virgin olive oil, which is what we consume for food, has a lower smoke point than Canola. See this.

That's why olive oil is not good for deep frying. But as long as it does not reach the smoke point, it's healthier and tastier than most other oils. It's pretty much good for any type of cooking, other than deep frying.

Actually extra virgin olive oil, which is what we consume for food, has a lower smoke point than Canola. See this.

That's why olive oil is not good for deep frying. But as long as it does not reach the smoke point, it's healthier and tastier than most other oils. It's pretty much good for any type of cooking, other than deep frying.

For cooking use 'Pomace Olive Oil', not extra virgin as you already explained that it is always good to use it as dressings on food like salads/Humus/Moutabel, etc.
Below is the detailed link about Pomace Olive Oil:

Back
Top Bottom