What's new

Skardu as MOB?

May be its not feasible to keep it open during winter for airforce operations , civilian ops is different matter 2/4 hours delay no big deal for airforce you need 24x7 availability ??

So no chances not sure if there is a site in north which can provide coverage ?

Chilas ?? With 4000 ft above sea level vs skardu 7500 ft above level

Chilas Temperature

The hot season lasts for 3.4 months, from June 4 to September 16, with an average daily high temperature above 88°F. The hottest day of the year is July 28, with an average high of 98°F and low of 72°F.

The cold season lasts for 3.3 months, from December 1 to March 10, with an average daily high temperature below 59°F. The coldest day of the year is January 18, with an average low of 29°F and high of 49°F.

Already in place

It has two runways for last so many years

One for military and wide body greater than equal to 9000 feet and another shorter one but caa is buying more land to build an international airport for civilian traffic increase due to cepec

I think either chilas or skardu will probably will become a new MOB in future due to importance of CEpec

I may be wrong but this is my guess skardu has already paf presence it’s just to station a permanent sqn all year with other paa support elements the question is if iaf can man LEH at 11500 feet and the Swedes can man their at high altitude in harsh bases with weather than so can paf??

I guess I will check the reason but wanted to share if someone already has an answer

In north north chilas and skardu can become MOB and FOB supporting each other ??

Northern areas due to cpec now become very sensitive and important life line for gawadar and industrial estates all over the country. This network will go north and south also linked to the west Afghanistan and Turkmenistan Iran etc
Skardu is getting a third runway. Also new fuel and ammunition stores are under construction. I believe Skardu will be the first Airport/Airbase in Pakistan to have three runways.

View attachment 601654

So paf has FOB at skardu which is about 7500 ft above sea level and active only in summer

Vs IAF has one sqn based permanently at LeH which is about 11500 ft above sea level

Question why is skardu not a MOB covering north north ?

Can have permanent 1 sqn MOB at skardu to cover north north that way reaction time will be far less and Other bases can focus on their own assigned aor??

With cpec now there is more focus on north north

Not sure [emoji848]
There is a MiG-29 detachment at Leh from IAF No. 28 sqn (Jamnagar) - from PAF a similar deployment should be expected.

Farkhor air base, Tajiskistan, housing Indian Air Force as well as Ayni Air Base. That is an issue from North west side of Pakistan.

There is a MiG-29 detachment at Leh from IAF No. 28 sqn (Jamnagar) - from PAF a similar deployment should be expected.
And Sirinagar?

Farkhor air base, Tajiskistan, housing Indian Air Force as well as Ayni Air Base. That is an issue from North west side of Pakistan.
What jets they have there? Whats the nees of the base in Tajikistan?

IMG_5334.JPG

Yes too expansive for airforce requirements may be best to put MOB if needed in non icy environment of Chilas or other location

Chilas is about 200km north of Isb. And 250 km from Peshawar And centrally located covering west and east and about 80-100 km inland from Easter border

New airport is being build on existing one which had 4500 feet runway. Now being extended to accommodate wide body jet airliners

Last edited:
Already in place

It has two runways for last so many years

One for military and wide body greater than equal to 9000 feet and another shorter one but caa is buying more land to build an international airport for civilian traffic increase due to cepec

I think either chilas or skardu will probably will become a new MOB in future due to importance of CEpec

I may be wrong but this is my guess skardu has already paf presence it’s just to station a permanent sqn all year with other paa support elements the question is if iaf can man LEH at 11500 feet and the Swedes can man their at high altitude in harsh bases with weather than so can paf??

I guess I will check the reason but wanted to share if someone already has an answer

In north north chilas and skardu can become MOB and FOB supporting each other ??

Northern areas due to cpec now become very sensitive and important life line for gawadar and industrial estates all over the country. This network will go north and south also linked to the west Afghanistan and Turkmenistan Iran etc

Chilas getting airport because of basha dam, and would probably become an important postion after its construction.
Problem is the ranges surrounding it diminish radar coverage considerbly to a point were mob is not feasible.

Areas of ghizar and border areas of chitral are optimal for mob . hug plans for runaways low lying ranges and easier to traverse as compared to chilas route which planes usually take

Back
Top Bottom