What's new

Punching Above its Weight; U.S. Congressional Report’s Comparison of China’s J-10 Light Fighter to Elite F-15 Heavy Platform

J-10C can easily snipe any older model F-15 from long distance using AESA + PL-15. Only the latest F-15EX might be able to go up against J-10C.

@White and Green with M/S
This is the scope of your argument? Unknown AESA and PL-15? Only the F-15EX might be able to go up against the legendary J-10C? This theme is not your cup of tea.

Unknown doesn't mean it's not good. Tech should be similar.
It could be Chinese 1st generation as per what is mentioned in Public Domain. There is no point to speculating about it.

F-15EX is equipped with the most advanced and powerful AESA radar system in the world (4th generation AESA hybrid). If you have even rudimentary understanding of radar systems, you will not bother to speculate. There is much to F-15EX than the crude terms you stick to.

It could be Chinese 1st generation as per what is mentioned in Public Domain. There is no point to speculating about it.

F-15EX is equipped with the most advanced and powerful AESA radar system in the world. If you have even rudimentary understanding of radar systems, you will not bother to speculate. There is much to F-15EX than the crude terms you stick to.

F-15EX is good, but still lags far behind J-20. J-20 tech is way up there. It's not even close.

F-15EX is good, but still lags far behind J-20. J-20 tech is way up there. It's not even close.
And you sat in both to figure this out, right? And you shifted the goalpost. Trolling stops here.

F-15EX is equipped with some of the most advanced technologies in aviation. It does not have LO shaping like J-20 but it is a sharpshooter with excellent situational awareness and EW techniques. It can also provide 'sensor coverage extension' to American 5th generation jet fighters in heavily contested spaces (goes both ways). Its heavyweight sensor systems including EPAWSS contribute to this effect. It is the apex of 4++ generation.

Every jet fighter have a role in the Internet of Things by the way.

does anyone outside PLAAF know anything about the J10C to render any sort of judgement?
Has the J10C ever flown outside China? Participated in multinational exercise? Have the Chinese authorities released any specs on flight performance, radar or avionics? So how did an Indian writer for military watch conclude it is the most capable single engine fighter?

MilitaryWatch also claims the MIG 31 is the best air superiority fighter in the world. it’s predecessor the MiG 25 has a lousy combat record - so why is the MiG 31 the best? better than, the F22, Typhoon and J20 - is militarywatch really a credible source? I don’t think so.

but hey if you love eating an Indian turd sandwich then I won’t stop you.

negative rating was for resorting to personal attack.
while reading this I couldn't help but think
based on what?
oh please stop
give me a break.

The only J10 superiority and victory I am aware of is in simulations and movies released by PLAAF.

F15 is an undisputed apex preditar for decades with a real war record. its outer shell maybe based on old 70s era design but its subsystems and weaponry is far ahead of anything in Chinese fleet.

J10 has not even exercised against a single western plane (bar PAF Mirages) let alone fought against an airforce with modern western jets.

It wouldve been good if article backed up J10 alleged superiority with any interception and challenges between Taiwanese and Chinese jets.

I am sure China has made great advances in military technology but the gap is not filled because Americans are still light years ahead.
And you sat in both to figure this out, right? Shifting goalpost now. Trolling stops here.
yea he mistook the article for J20 vs F15. whereas its about J10.

while reading this I couldn't help but think
based on what?
oh please stop
give me a break.

The only J10 superiority and victory I am aware of is in simulations and movies released by PLAAF.

F15 is an undisputed apex preditar for decades with a real war record. its outer shell maybe based on old 70s era design but its subsystems and weaponry is far ahead of anything in Chinese fleet.

J10 has not even exercised against a single western plane (bar PAF Mirages) let alone fought against an airforce with modern western jets.

It wouldve been good if article backed up J10 alleged superiority with any interception and challenges between Taiwanese and Chinese jets.

I am sure China has made great advances in military technology but the gap is not filled because Americans are still light years ahead.

yea he mistook the article for J20 vs F15. whereas its about J10.

Correction. Both J-10A and J-10C has exercised against Gripens in Thailand in 2017 and 2019, respectively.

so that exercise makes them better than or at par with F15s?
the logic is lost to me

Where did I say that it is superior to the F-15? Obviously you didn’t read my other posts in the thread where I made my actual opinion clear.

If anyone wants to challenge my narrative, try find a more authoritative source than the official PLA military channel.

View attachment 764951

J-10's greatest advantage is advanced fire control system.

View attachment 764952
It is well suited to medium/long range aerial combat.

View attachment 764953
Su-30 is very maneuverable

View attachment 764954
It is suited to close-in aerial combat.

In the segment which starts at 4:19 which introduces the PLANAF unit operating both Su-30MK2 and J-10H, pilots of the division directly stated that they are mixing J-10 and Su-30 because while J-10 has the advantage in BVR and the flankers have the edge in a knife fight. This is because all flankers imported by China, other than the Su-35, still rely on the N001 series of twist-cassegrain radars that are markedly inferior to slotted array radars, even one carried by a medium fighter like the J-10. F-15s do not have this problem and a significant number of them in USAF have switched to AESA from slotted array.

This doesn’t even account for the disparities in missile load. In Golden Helmet exercises, J-11B routinely holds an advantage over the J-10 because they have superior endurance due to greater fuel capacity, greater missile load, and superior ECM suite. Do you seriously think that the latest block Eagles can’t do better?

I’m not saying this to disparage the J-10 series. I’m a big fan of the CAC and Chinese aviation and my avatar was in fact a J-10B in yellow primer before the J-20 came out. However, I’m sick and tired of people making exaggerated Jai-Hind style claims about what it can or cannot do.

Last edited:
At least, make it clear which J10 model is it, and which F15 model is it.
wtf

The author using F-15J Japanese as comparison to the J-10C.
J-10C is 2010s meanwhile F-15J Japanese is 1980s. Of course, some of the points he stated have solid basic.

But this show us, how deep Japenese air force problems. They badly need to upgrade their small aging fleet against China's much Larger & Newer Aircraft (J-10C, J-15, J-16, J-20, and soon J-21 & J-35)
LOL you're just stupid, japanese has no tactics against flankers ( j-11 series) ànd j-10 is similar to f-16 j-15 aka Su-33, J-16 aka Su-30 mkk/ MKK2, the design remain same

Correction. Both J-10A and J-10C has exercised against Gripens in Thailand in 2017 and 2019, respectively.

Yes. You are absolutely right.

And J10C won both its WVR and BVR aerial battles against Thailand Air Force Grifen fighters on both occasions.

Don't underestimate the J-10C. It is indeed a very capable air superiority fighter.
Easily one of the most maneuverable and best aerial fighter around today. Beside that it is also classified as a multirole tactical fighter.

The rest depends mainly on the pilot himself.

China Golden Helmet was just awarded to a pilot flying in a PLAAF J-10C.

IMO the only setback against heavy fighter like J-16 is probably its combat range and maximum ceiling.

IMO the Japanese antiquated F-15J with its analog avionic instrument should be retired or decommissioned as its airframe lifespan has probably expired.

A high G turn may results in its wing being ripped off like what happened to USAF F-15.

Yes. You are absolutely right.

And J10C won both its WVR and BVR aerial battles against Thailand Air Force Grifen fighters on both occasions.
That might be the case but Thailand have not disclosed much in relation.

My observations:

1. Thai Air Force have JAS-39C (8 in total) and JAS-39D (4 in total) respectively. These jet fighters are equipped with PS-05/A Pulse Doppler radar system.

J-10C is equipped with an AESA radar system which will make difference (advantage).

JAS-39E and JAS-39F are latest updates from SAAB and much better than older variants:

Gripen1.jpeg

Gripen.jpeg

The real test of J-10C will be up against JAS-39E and JAS-39F respectively.

2. What is the caliber of pilots involved?

Difficult to gauge due to lack of combat experience.

References:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom