What's new

National Radio Telecommunication Corporation

Well it depends on how you look at it. If you want local industry to have capability that is the way.

For example, we have a long history of RF state of art going back to 1950's; there was a genuine interest and it kept going. For your neighbour - I would point you to a simplistic case where your point is not valid - Have a look at ubitx - Farhan's did such a fantastic job. I have many AP ham friends - most cannot even put an antenna together at home. If amateur radio was given credit, there would have been a great outlook.

https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

For reference above link. I bought his complete component kit and built it out and made a lot of modifications which included power changes to get out to 25w and using 28v. then cased it into a mil-manpack. Kit for 80$.
It is a simplistic explanation that isn’t one size fits all - but the crux is that having an in-house solution only takes precedence if there are none available due to lack of availability. That doesn’t mean we wont look at local development when funds permit, just that its attempts to prioritize.

That being said, this policy has been violated and abused both willingly and through sheer incompetence more often than not because our R&D still has a uniform in charge and not actual SMEs.

EcOXJQ4XQAArDDt.jpg

EcRo27lWAAEOwv6.jpg

EcOXKGhX0AEKrt6.jpg

EcOXLCjX0AEKHZV.jpg

1810238282291540270974.PNG

After manufacturing the country’s first locally developed ventilators, the National Radio Telecommunication Corporation (NRTC) announced that it has prepared Pakistan-made drones to tackle locust swarms
For More Details: bit.ly/2VU0H1P

#ARYNews
EcUpfoSWkAA04A8.jpg

08:14, 7 Jul 2020 ·

Last edited:
I have a sibling that works there.

They have started to expand and are involved in many projects apart from radio (call it assembly or whatever but the point is to get the job done owing to resource constraints).

They have been working non-stop even in Covid as per army's directions even though they suffered some Covid + cases due to it. One of the projects (as shown openly in videos) is their work for modification of thermal imagers for use on airports (similar to what the Chinese and others have done).

I am not much told about the mil side (being a recent job, I did not want to risk it by asking just for some likes on a forum) but R&D work is being expanded and my sibling has been working non-stop on one of the projects.

They intend to expand by taking over TIP premises as well.

There are both good and bad sides of army being involved. Good side being prioritizing of projects and routing of the same through the org which results in constant involvement of work force in what the mil wants.

Bad side being inflexibility in organization management that comes with army culture (relative to the startup thinking that we need in such orgs).

Hopefully in a few months/years my sibling's work will be part of future deliverables. Then I would be able to comment more w.r.t how they fare relative to other orgs that I have interacted with.

It is a simplistic explanation that isn’t one size fits all - but the crux is that having an in-house solution only takes precedence if there are none available due to lack of availability. That doesn’t mean we wont look at local development when funds permit, just that its attempts to prioritize.

That being said, this policy has been violated and abused both willingly and through sheer incompetence more often than not because our R&D still has a uniform in charge and not actual SMEs.
You hit the nail on the head!!!! .... not actual SME.... this is what is the root failure to innovate. at our org - uniform personel were only to be met when field testing, training, or support was being provided but otherwise, they are not allowed in - they have their job, we have ours. Let the experts in each field do theirs and we have a winning solution.

In our case we had a strong interest in this area and therefore kept pioneering. You can check racal, grinel, reutech. our work in this area is not restricted to mil; but a lot of geological surveying and mining industrial application.

RAWALPINDI (Dunya News) – Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa visited National Radio and Telecommunication Corporation (NRTC) in Haripur to inaugurate the state of the art Electronic Warfare (EW) and Ground Surveillance Radar (GSR) testing laboratories.

COAS3(18).jpg

Acco

You hit the nail on the head!!!! .... not actual SME.... this is what is the root failure to innovate. at our org - uniform personel were only to be met when field testing, training, or support was being provided but otherwise, they are not allowed in - they have their job, we have ours. Let the experts in each field do theirs and we have a winning solution.

In our case we had a strong interest in this area and therefore kept pioneering. You can check racal, grinel, reutech. our work in this area is not restricted to mil; but a lot of geological surveying and mining industrial application.
I forgot to put a caveat on that statement which is the rare situation when the uniform in charge is an SME or qualified and astute enough to both understand and listen to SMEs.

After all, people remember John Boyd and his group for stuff like EM theories and the like but a lot of their contributions laid foundations for project development strategies.

I forgot to put a caveat on that statement which is the rare situation when the uniform in charge is an SME or qualified and astute enough to both understand and listen to SMEs.

After all, people remember John Boyd and his group for stuff like EM theories and the like but a lot of their contributions laid foundations for project development strategies.
Unfortunately there are some on this forum and many in public who seem to think that the person in uniform knows all; the reality is opposite.

Unfortunately there are some on this forum and many in public who seem to think that the person in uniform knows all; the reality is opposite.

I don’t think anybody said that. BTW NRTC was bankrupt and closed until it was revived by the military.

It’s based on a narrative built up from childhood - which in reality puts undue pressure and expectations on the military and detracts from its professionalism and state function.

Either way, we’re pushing off topic. What matters is that the primary radio was to be the Prc-9661 and its handheld counterpart because it has pretty robust performance in high EW environments.It actually performed better than Harris and R&S systems under certain tests.

Most, if not all of the code is local with a locally designed boards. All that was really kept was the shell and interface.. along with a loose sticker from NRTC.

It’s based on a narrative built up from childhood - which in reality puts undue pressure and expectations on the military and detracts from its professionalism and state function.

Either way, we’re pushing off topic. What matters is that the primary radio was to be the Prc-9661 and its handheld counterpart because it has pretty robust performance in high EW environments.It actually performed better than Harris and R&S systems under certain tests.

Most, if not all of the code is local with a locally designed boards. All that was really kept was the shell and interface.. along with a loose sticker from NRTC.

Why couldn’t/didn’t we repackage and rebrand and evolve it into our own product brand.

I would love to see NRTC evolving into a Pakistani ASELSAN.

They have started to expand and are involved in many projects apart from radio (call it assembly or whatever but the point is to get the job done owing to resource constraints).

They have been working non-stop even in Covid as per army's directions even though they suffered some Covid + cases due to it. One of the projects (as shown openly in videos) is their work for modification of thermal imagers for use on airports (similar to what the Chinese and others have done).

I am not much told about the mil side (being a recent job, I did not want to risk it by asking just for some likes on a forum) but R&D work is being expanded and my sibling has been working non-stop on one of the projects.

There are both good and bad sides of army being involved. Good side being prioritizing of projects and routing of the same through the org which results in constant involvement of work force in what the mil wants.

Bad side being inflexibility in organization management that comes with army culture (relative to the startup thinking that we need in such orgs).

Hopefully in a few months/years my sibling's work will be part of future deliverables. Then I would be able to comment more w.r.t how they fare relative to other orgs that I have interacted with.

US mil OTOH is very good at encouraging entrepreneurship and startups. Heck they even have trailers loaded with video games to attract recruits.

I doubt it's only something to do with their fat budget it's also mindset that's key.

I think major problem is lack of finance and investment from private sector which limit their production and they not able to mass produce products due to lack of ability to buy bulk raw material and components also they should also focus on micro chips like those used in modern pcs ,smart phones and other devices as people doing repair of pcs and phones here are already trained for dealing with repairing such chips although they are not much educated like those working in these institutions ,they can be viable for defense products but for commercial items you only survive if mass produce items and they should limit commercial products to prototypes and help private companies to mass produce such products like ventilators and drones used by agriculture sector

Last edited:
I would love to see NRTC evolving into a Pakistani ASELSAN.

US mil OTOH is very good at encouraging entrepreneurship and startups. Heck they even have trailers loaded with video games to attract recruits.

I doubt it's only something to do with their fat budget it's also mindset that's key.
There are a couple of private firms in Islamabad who aspire to become Pakistan's ASELSAN. I used to work in one of them.

Yes, we had benchmarked this rig long while back. It 'borrows' some concepts from my IP. On the UHF/VHF side it is good. Frankly Harris is over rated and just govt pressure tactics that get it adopted worldwide. Rhode&Shwartz is better. however in heavier EW - grinel/reutech stands out far ahead.

You may be interested, we were the first to devise digital entry terminal (DETs) going back to 1988; too many firsts 2 decades ahead of Harris and others.

Have a look at what i have for amateur radio use- this is a 70's full solid state hf from grinel. 100w. tuner, pll, freq hop was taken out of this one. TR15H was the first HF frequency hopper unit in the world. These were retired in late 80s. Argentinians were using these plus the hf and vhf manpacks from grinel during the faklands.

Attachments

• Grinel_1.JPG
    Grinel_1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

they are now also working with academia for R&D projects which is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom