What's new

National Radio Telecommunication Corporation

They seem more of an assembler than manufacturer of anything.
They seem more of an assembler than manufacturer of anything.
They are too behind in every sense of the word. They are an assembler as you correctly pointed out. Not a single item they make is local.

RF is my area of expertise, from what i have seen of this org in terms of products, they need to be given a 220v wake up call.

They are just assemblers. Just look at their radio products; all are relabelled assemblies.
From what I understand from Oscar’s @SQ8 posts. They have may have evolved beyond just white labeling.

India also has a lot more in terms of commercial electronic component industry with dual use items which we have been getting regular shipments of for the longest time.
These shipments have at many times included military specific items as well due to loose security and corrupt officials on their end.

Back in 2010 we were comparing their attempt at a SDR with a physical example of their board with the Chinese, ours, R&S and Harris.
They did have an innovative idea which we layer realized was an Israeli concept which we adopted but the quality of their build was essentially pathetic and similar to the Chinese.

As a matter of pride, the system we use today and developed in house is better in performance to all of the above including the Harris one.

This is also the time when my colleague was given the Mil-spec on Link-16 and Link-22 to start reading up on it and work on a development with AWC.

Finally, the current ambassador of Saudi Arabia in one of his former roles outlined the philosophy you talk of in one sentence “Pakistan only builds what it cannot procure” - we don’t have bottomless wallets or national pride as our primary motivation. It is to ensure that the enemy is defeated by any means necessary ; if that means buying the Nodong and repainting it to call it the Ghauri.. so be it.

There may “interns” from other countries inside TAI or ASELSAN who may be doing similar roles.

From what I understand from Oscar’s @SQ8 posts. They have may have evolved beyond just white labeling.
Noted, on their RF side, they are decades behind from what i see on their product offering.

Elaborate please...
I cannot put a lot in writing due to reasons but will try to highlight in generic terms.
Take the vhf/uhf spectrum units - these are from 70's era. Next, there is no standardised family of sets. In my design, i would have a complete family - personal, manpack - hf/uhf/vhf, land systems, airsystems, naval. All with very potent state of the art anti-jamming with digital support capabilities. You see none here except hodgepodge. The sdr appears to be from turkey.

I cannot put a lot in writing due to reasons but will try to highlight in generic terms.
Take the vhf/uhf spectrum units - these are from 70's era. Next, there is no standardised family of sets. In my design, i would have a complete family - personal, manpack - hf/uhf/vhf, land systems, airsystems, naval. All with very potent state of the art anti-jamming with digital support capabilities. You see none here except hodgepodge. The sdr appears to be from turkey.
NRTC did not do any development as such - it was outsourced to private local firms where I worked on some of the turk products which were customized further to counter an “allied” SIGINT capability.

The PRC-9661 was to be the standard family- but there is a mix of using Harris and other Chinese products due to faster procurement or kickbacks.

NRTC did not do any development as such - it was outsourced to private local firms where I worked on some of the turk products which were customized further to counter an “allied” SIGINT capability.

The PRC-9661 was to be the standard family- but there is a mix of using Harris and other Chinese products due to faster procurement or kickbacks.
Correct that is exactly what i thought - it is just a customisation from outsourced units.

Correct that is exactly what i thought - it is just a customisation from outsourced units.
It is the policy of the national R&D complex to only build locally what cannot be purchased or is more expensive to purchase.

As I state to folks from across Pakistan’s border when they boast of local R&D - our focus isn’t to have parades with local equipment, its to find the most cost effective way to defeat you no matter if we have to buy it from Israel.

It is the policy of the national R&D complex to only build locally what cannot be purchased or is more expensive to purchase.

As I state to folks from across Pakistan’s border when they boast of local R&D - our focus isn’t to have parades with local equipment, its to find the most cost effective way to defeat you no matter if we have to buy it from Israel.
Well it depends on how you look at it. If you want local industry to have capability that is the way.

For example, we have a long history of RF state of art going back to 1950's; there was a genuine interest and it kept going. For your neighbour - I would point you to a simplistic case where your point is not valid - Have a look at ubitx - Farhan's did such a fantastic job. I have many AP ham friends - most cannot even put an antenna together at home. If amateur radio was given credit, there would have been a great outlook.

https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

For reference above link. I bought his complete component kit and built it out and made a lot of modifications which included power changes to get out to 25w and using 28v. then cased it into a mil-manpack. Kit for 80$.

Back
Top Bottom