What's new

KLJ 7 Radar on Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another superb out of the world thread from Storm Force. ;)

The KLJ7 is definitely inferior to the massive Bars Pesa Radar on the SU30MKI But i think the Hybrid indian mmr which uses Elta 2032 for LCA may well be a far better radar

The israelis have insisted on their own elta radars for the sufa F16 FIGHTERS OVER THE USA supplied APG68s

More over the upgrade programmes for & mirages 2000 involves radars that PAF where considering as alternatives to KLJ7

These are the Thales RC400

Even the MIG29SMT upgrade programme involves an new ZHUK ME radar tracking at 120km

I don,t think PAF wil stick with KLJ7 for long esp since IAF WILL FIELD THE FOLLWING

Bars Pesa Ibris su30mki
Elta 2032 HYBRID lca mk1
Thales rc400 upgrade mirage2000
Zhuk me mig29smt and new mig29k navy

Near future next 36-48 months
MMRCA winner CAPTOR OR APG79 ASESA OR VIXEN AESA
Snow leopard Aesa FOR su30MKI
ELTA 2052 AESA for LCA M2

Are you sure I Sufa is using Elta 2032 Hybrid instead of APG68 or APG69?

Can anybody update on this? I think they have not used their own radar..

Sufa's use the APG-68 V-9.. same as the Block 52's.
I wonder "where".. storm force gets his "ideas" and "info"....
The major difference is what is in the cockpit.and that Spine..
A whole lotta electronic gadgetry that even the Block 60 may be jealous of.

Last edited:
I don't agree. Check here: http://www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/files/3/29123.pdf

Note that the maximum air-air range is 80NM = 148km. This is the maximum, for a jumbo jet or B-52!! This will be less for an F-16 or JF-17.

Note that the air-to-sea detection is 160 NM = 296km. This is equivalent to the Zhuk radars as per my earlier posting. I believe the KLJ-7 is based on the Zhuk ME.

You are talking about a radar which IsAF preferred over APG-68(V)9.

" JANE'S DEFENCE WEEKLY - FEBRUARY 18, 2004

Radar concerns cast shadow over F-16I buy
ALON BEN-DAVID JDW Correspondent
Tel Aviv

The Israel Air Force (IAF) is "highly dissatisfied" with the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-68(V)9 radar installed in its new F-16I multirole fighters, according to senior Israeli defence sources.

With the first of 102 Lockheed Martin F-16Is scheduled to arrive in Israel on 19 February, a growing number of defence officials are now criticising the procurement.

JDW has learned that following a series of test flights at Lockheed Martin's facility in Fort Worth, Texas, IAF pilots assessed the synthetic-aperture radar (SAR) mode of the AN/APG-68(V)9 to be "below IAF operational standards".

Israel's former minister of defence, Moshe Arens, who negotiated the F-16I deal, told JDW he is not surprised to learn about the radar's performance problems. "Our intention was to install Israeli-made radar in the F-16Is, but the US government made the whole sale conditional on the purchase of US-made radar. I argued that [Israel Aircraft Industries' subsidiary] Elta's radar had a proven better performance and lesser cost than the US radars, but the Americans were unrelenting," Arens said.

The Israel Defence Force (IDF) spokesperson's office declined to comment on the matter, and a spokesperson for Lockheed Martin said that "the issue is between the Israeli and the US governments".

Senior IAF officers have recently met with both Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman executives and presented them with what they described as "performance problems of the radar". IAF sources said that "once the aircraft arrive in Israel, further tests will be conducted in co-ordination with the manufacturer".

However, according to a Northrop Grumman spokesman, the company hosted a SAR "summit" for all key principals in January 2004, at the US government's request, to evaluate the radar's performance. At the end of that session, the parties agreed that the radar had met all its performance specifications, that the development phase was completed and that the IAF should now evaluate the radar in its own environment.

IAF sources said that in 1999 the service's preferred option was for Lockheed Martin's F-16I over Boeing's F-15I - partly because an offer to purchase two batches of 50 aircraft had significantly lowered the price per unit. However, the $4.4 billion F-16I deal, Israel's largest-ever single procurement, is now under increasing scrutiny by both former and current defence officials.

"I don't think we should have decided in 1999 on fighters we will still be receiving in 2008," said Brig Gen Eival Giladi, who until last December was head of strategic planning for the IDF. "I am not worried about their technology, but I'm not sure that what we will need in 2008 are fighters. We should have opted for the smaller [F-15] deal. Even though we would have lost the considerable discount, we would have gained much more freedom to decide later on the structure of our air force."

Arens, who supported the F-16I deal at the time, said: "In perspective, it could be that we were a little hasty. Considering the strategic changes in the region, I am not sure we should have made that deal."

While IAF Commander Maj Gen Dan Halutz (now IDF Deputy Chief of Staff elect) maintained that the F16I procurement "was the right decision then and still is today", other senior officers are questioning the decision, which committed a large part of US Foreign Military Financing (FMF) to Israel for almost a decade.

The IDF's budget was drastically reduced in the last two years, making the FMF the only available funds for new procurements.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon recently added NIS1 billion ($224.2 million) to the 2004 defence budget, totalling NIS33.4 billion, and pledged an additional NIS1.6 billion in 2005.

So the conclusion is SUFA is fitted with AN/APG-68(V)9, but IAF wanted their own ELTA 2032 on that..

And IAF consider ELTA 2032 is superior than AN/APG-68(V)9..

So the conclusion is SUFA is fitted with AN/APG-68(V)9, but IAF wanted their own ELTA 2032 on that..

And IAF consider ELTA 2032 is superior than AN/APG-68(V)9..

I dont think the 2032 is mentioned anywhere...
Just some Local radar..

So far ELTA have two radars fre fighter jets right?

2032 & 2052 (AESA)

To my knowledge..yes..
Its quite likely the 2032..
I remember a news item regarding the "conversion" of the 2032 to AESA.. would be an interesting read on what exactly it encompasses.

Storm, you started this thread by title of klj-7 on thunder than all of a sudden u brought IAF radars and began comparing them?? klj-7 has been discussed to death on this forum alone but i guess it was not enough for you to swallow? Get a life man !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom