Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm Force

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Last edited:
I think the KLJ10 is a slightly bigger radar that currently fits the J10 fighters.

But if the first 50 Thunders are fitted with KLJ7 these are fairly modest ranges

Against SU30MKI RCS is massive so no problem at 75km

But against

Mirage2000
Mig21 BISON (RAM COATED)
lca mk1

All of these are below 3sm RCS

iT ALSO MEANS THAT THE FULL RANGE OF SD10 can be exployed if it is greater than 70km

Yes, that is Janes. But is the manufacturer's brochure. 105km for 5sqm = 95km for 3sqm target. As I understand, the published figures are at least 10% under what it can do.

2r70vgw.jpg

Don,t shout or kill me guys but i found that the Chinease KLJ7 radar is a copy of an early Russian Zhuk Radar and can only track UP TO 75KM fighters that have a Radar Cross Section of 3 Sq meteres or more

KLJ-7/10 Fire Control Radar (FCR) (China) - Jane's Avionics

Further confirmation

On sino defense article
http://www.*********************/air-force/klj-7-a-4372.html

here is the extract of Jane's
Type
Airborne Fire Control Radar (FCR).

Description
The KLJ-7 Fire Control Radar (FCR), also referred to as Type 1478, employs a mechanically-scanned, phased-array antenna and is the main radar set for the Chengdu Aircraft Industries/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex FC-1/JF-17 fighter aircraft. A derivative of the KLJ-7, and likely employing a larger diameter array, the KLJ-10/J-10A, is believed to have been installed in the Chengdu J-10 fighter aircraft.In terms of development, the J-7 is reportedly similar in basic design to Phazotron N010 Zhuk family of radars; both Phazotron NIIR and rival radar house NIIP have worked closely in the past with Chinese radar design bureaux and provided technical assistance as well as operational models of Russia-made radar sets that were used as benchmarks in the process of Chinese firms developing their own designs. Nanjing have also reportedly drawn on the Galileo Avionica/Finmeccanica Grifo and the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) Elta-2032 in developing their own radar designs. While the basic configuration of the J-7 may be similar to that of the Zhuk family, Nanjing utilises Chinese-made electronic components, multi-layered circuit boards, etc.The J-7 has multiple modes, both Beyond Visual Range (BVR) and close-in air-to-air modes, ground surveillance and a robust anti-jamming capability, according to Chinese sources. The radar can reportedly manage up to 40 targets, monitor up to 10 of them in Track-While-Scan (TWS) mode and can engage two targets simultaneously at BVR. The detection range for targets with an radar-cross section of up to 3 square metres is 75 km look-up, or 35 km in look-down mode.
FYI SD-10B's (which is in testing and evaluation for JFT's BVR option) effective range is about 110+KM. So effectively radar should have greater or at least equal range. i think this would have given you some hint.

I think the KLJ10 is a slightly bigger radar that currently fits the J10 fighters.

But if the first 50 Thunders are fitted with KLJ7 these are fairly modest ranges

Against SU30MKI RCS is massive so no problem at 75km

But against

Mirage2000
Mig21 BISON (RAM COATED)
lca mk1

All of these are below 3sm RCS

iT ALSO MEANS THAT THE FULL RANGE OF SD10 can be exployed if it is greater than 70km

70km is a very significant range to be exploited accurately by any BVRAAM.

The KLJ7 is definitely inferior to the massive Bars Pesa Radar on the SU30MKI But i think the Hybrid indian mmr which uses Elta 2032 for LCA may well be a far better radar

The israelis have insisted on their own elta radars for the sufa F16 FIGHTERS OVER THE USA supplied APG68s

More over the upgrade programmes for & mirages 2000 involves radars that PAF where considering as alternatives to KLJ7

These are the Thales RC400

Even the MIG29SMT upgrade programme involves an new ZHUK ME radar tracking at 120km

I don,t think PAF wil stick with KLJ7 for long esp since IAF WILL FIELD THE FOLLWING

Bars Pesa Ibris su30mki
Elta 2032 HYBRID lca mk1
Thales rc400 upgrade mirage2000
Zhuk me mig29smt and new mig29k navy

Near future next 36-48 months
MMRCA winner CAPTOR OR APG79 ASESA OR VIXEN AESA
Snow leopard Aesa FOR su30MKI
ELTA 2052 AESA for LCA M2

But MKI has a
350 search range,200Km tracking,60Km rear radar range...

The forward facing NIIP N011M Bars (Panther) is a powerful integrated passive electronically scanned array radar. The N011M is a digital multi-mode dual frequency band radar.[39] The N011M can function in air-to-air and air-to-land/sea mode simultaneously while being tied into a high-precision laser-inertial or GPS navigation system. It is equipped with a modern digital weapons control system as well as anti-jamming features. N011M has a 350 km search range and a maximum 200 km tracking range, and 60 km in the rear hemisphere.[40] The radar can track 15 air targets and engage 4 simultaneously.[40] These targets can even include cruise missiles and motionless helicopters. The Su-30MKI can function as a mini-AWACS as a director or command post for other aircraft. The target co-ordinates can be transferred automatically to at least four other aircraft. The radar can detect ground targets such as tanks at 40–50 km.[40]

The talk of a new Radar for Thunder seems to have died down lately. Is this no longer on the anvil

The KLJ7 is definitely inferior to the massive Bars Pesa Radar on the SU30MKI But i think the Hybrid indian mmr which uses Elta 2032 for LCA may well be a far better radar

The israelis have insisted on their own elta radars for the sufa F16 FIGHTERS OVER THE USA supplied APG68s

More over the upgrade programmes for & mirages 2000 involves radars that PAF where considering as alternatives to KLJ7

These are the Thales RC400

Even the MIG29SMT upgrade programme involves an new ZHUK ME radar tracking at 120km

I don,t think PAF wil stick with KLJ7 for long esp since IAF WILL FIELD THE FOLLWING

Bars Pesa Ibris su30mki
Elta 2032 HYBRID lca mk1
Thales rc400 upgrade mirage2000
Zhuk me mig29smt and new mig29k navy

Near future next 36-48 months
MMRCA winner CAPTOR OR APG79 ASESA OR VIXEN AESA
Snow leopard Aesa FOR su30MKI
ELTA 2052 AESA for LCA M2

do you know what is meant by the word benchmarking?...lemme explain this to you
Benchmarking is a set of minimum requirements of the outcome. So if Chinese lets say benchmark N010 Zhuk, then the resultant radar should be at least as capable as N010. So dont expect KLJ-7 to be an inferior copy. Even Janes acknowleges the modes, range and jamming capabilities enhancement. FYI MKI's radar is better cuz its bigger. But given the AWACS in equation the fighter with the size and RCS of MKI will be sighted at max ranges so the advantage of radar will be effectively negated as thunder will know that there is a threat at XXX KM heading XXX. Then thunder can be vectored to the targets for engagements.

But i think the Hybrid indian mmr which uses Elta 2032 for LCA may well be a far better radar

I don't agree. Check here: http://www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/files/3/29123.pdf

Note that the maximum air-air range is 80NM = 148km. This is the maximum, for a jumbo jet or B-52!! This will be less for an F-16 or JF-17.

Note that the air-to-sea detection is 160 NM = 296km. This is equivalent to the Zhuk radars as per my earlier posting. I believe the KLJ-7 is based on the Zhuk ME.

I don't agree. Check here: http://www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/files/3/29123.pdf

Note that the maximum air-air range is 80NM = 148km. This is the maximum, for a jumbo jet or B-52!! This will be less for an F-16 or JF-17.

Note that the air-to-sea detection is 160 NM = 296km. This is equivalent to the Zhuk radars as per my earlier posting. I believe the KLJ-7 is based on the Zhuk ME.

I looked at the brochure too, but I could not see how you concluded that the range of 80 NM is against Jumbo jet sized targets. Please explain.

I looked at the brochure too, but I could not see how you concluded that the range of 80 NM is against Jumbo jet sized targets. Please explain.

It is open ended statement from IAI - it is tha absolute maximum. They did not give a radar cross section because it is the maximum regardless of cross-section. THIS IS MY ASSUMPTION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom