What's new

From pk-15 , JF-17 Thunder and Al Khalid to fifth generation stealth fighter jet project Azm

Delta wing fighters are garbage at dogfighting! get real man. Delta wing fighter aircraft must have canards to overcome the gigantic deficiency of incredible energy loss in drag form when performing any sustained turn. On top of this, delta wing fighters also have crap low speed maneuverability either sustained or instantaneous in low speeds.

It was well known by 1980s that canards fix many of these issues. Also why the Indians are desperate to create a canard delta upgrade for Tejas Mk2. No one in fighters (not counting interceptors or bomber/strike fighters) except Mirage after 4th generation fighters pursued the delta wing only configuration. US long abandoned it after 3rd generation with Convair's delta wings and some bomber designs. French used delta wings for early Mirage 3rd generation fighters. And they are fine. 3rd generation using delta were also not performance deficient overall but by 4th generation, the leading designs were the Su-27, Mig-29 and F-16 style conventional layout (generally) with blended wing fuselage and many uses of leading edge design optimizations.

After that early 4th generation optimal designs which already surpassed the Mirage 2000, then came the delta canards which sort of represent the kinematic optimal of late 4th generation designs which took delta wings and resolved many of their major problems using the canards. If pure deltas are good, everyone would use it, but no one not even Dassault (Rafale is canarded and solved the old pure delta problems of the Mirage) has ever even considered designing and producing a new pure delta fighter since 1980s... except India with Tejas. And that's because Tejas is an Indian attempt to produce an Indian Mirage 2000 and project goes back to 1980s.

JF-17 is a simple configuration fighter. Making use of leading edge extension similar to F-18. Tejas applied a 1950s to 1980s (already redundant by then) design of pure delta. They are trying to put canards onto this now.

Whenever another fighter faces a Mirage 2000 in a dogfight, it will simply avoid the very, very, VERY limited set of strengths - high altitude (for circle fights to lower altitude lots of potential energy to trade for vertical speed and then pick up some kinetic) and high speed. Even in high altitude and high speed regimes, most 4th gen and 4.5+ gen fighters can still hold against Mirage 2000. The advantage (the only slight one it has) is barely much more than the others here. A Mirage 2000 going into a dogfight without high energy and in mid to low altitudes, already lost. After the first two turns, it has no more energy and if in mid to low altitude, has absolutely no space to trade for speed.

Last edited:
@BON PLAN is well known false flagged Indian he is pretending to be French only, correct yourself brother
I'm a pure french, living in Vendome 100km south of Paris. You trust me or not, I don't care.

This is one of my very numerous posts in a famous french forum. You can check my french is far better than my english 8-) http://www.air-defense.net/forum/topic/21-linde/page/443/#elControls_991429_menu
only 6200 messages....

Does that automatically also makes Tejas into a highly agile aircraft. BTW M2K is not such a great dog fighter. It losses energy on turn despite with inherently unstable and FBW.
All delta has the same strenght and same weakness :
The lose more than other energy in high turn, but they have more authority to change their nose attitude. The conclusion is that in a dog fight fight between for exemple a M2000 and a F16, the M2000 has to take advantage at the begining of the fight (and has the nose authority to do so). If not the F16 will loose less potential energy and will win at the end.

early 4th generation optimal designs which already surpassed the Mirage 2000
No. M2000 is superior to F16 in medium and high altitude.
The real weakness of M2000 is a relatively less powerfull engine compare to F16.

Last edited:
Tejas applied a 1950s to 1980s (already redundant by then) design of pure delta.
Once again no. Tejas don't use a pure delta planform. It is a cranked delta. Not exactly the same.

You call yourself whatsoever but you're not French may be you're Indian living in France
Not the case, but you think what you want.
I don't see what is your goal.

After the first two turns, it has no more energy and if in mid to low altitude, has absolutely no space to trade for speed.
Sole part of your post I agree with.
M2000 has to take advantage at the beginning of a fight, and it can. If this window is avoid, it's over.

DELTA WINGS DESIGN HAS ITS OWN LIMITATIONS ITS BEST ON MEDIUM TO HIGH ALTITUDE AND BEST AT RAPID TURN RATE AT HIGH ALTITUDE BUT POOR SUSTAIN TURN RATE AT ALL ALTITUDE
Indeed : Best instantaneous turn rate (at the beginning, before the loss of too much energy) but lower sustained turn rate.

Once again no. Tejas don't use a pure delta planform. It is a cranked delta. Not exactly the same.

Not the case, but you think what you want.
I don't see what is your goal.
DELTA is built for speed and have high flying capabilities not for low ALTITUDE performance whether its simple DELTA like MIRAGE 3/ DELTA dart or crank DELTA like f16e

F-16 cropped delta has nowhere near the wing surface area of Mirage. It does not lose energy to drag anywhere near as much. It's entire pivot mechanism and balance is also totally different, making use of horizontal stabilizers rather than the very different center of gravity position of Mirage 2000. Bending stress on certain parts of F-16 would be more though. Mirage after first two turns if it doesn't win there, it is finished. But the Mirage needs to go into a dogfight with speed and at high altitude. Lower density atmosphere also gives it advantage relative to others due to wing loading difference.

Su-27 is still the best overall performer in heavy weight category (for 4th generation) and F-16 is the best performer in light weight category until delta canards came around which at least equaled F-16. Rafale, Typhoon, and J-10 are at least the kinematic equals overall to F-16. The first two are heavier fighters but generally speaking, they perfected the delta wing. Every evolution over delta wing incorporates the canards.

Even India is trying to incorporate canards to Tejas.

Because you're not neutral always take a side to India
No. I don't take always the side of Pakistan. It's not the same.
But specifically on this forum it seems forbiden not to found all muslims, pak or chinese products ... very fine. They simply are not.

Rafale is good fighter but not invincible in subcontinent arena it can be defeated with right tactic and training
Absolutely.

DELTA is built for speed and have high flying capabilities not for low ALTITUDE performance whether its simple DELTA like MIRAGE 3/ DELTA dart or crank DELTA like f16e
The M2000N and D are nice CAS fighter....

F-16 cropped delta has nowhere near the wing surface area of Mirage. It does not lose energy to drag anywhere near as much. It's entire pivot mechanism and balance is also totally different, making use of horizontal stabilizers rather than the very different center of gravity position of Mirage 2000. Bending stress on certain parts of F-16 would be more though. Mirage after first two turns if it doesn't win there, it is finished. But the Mirage needs to go into a dogfight with speed and at high altitude. Lower density atmosphere also gives it advantage relative to others due to wing loading difference.

Su-27 is still the best overall performer in heavy weight category (for 4th generation) and F-16 is the best performer in light weight category until delta canards came around which at least equaled F-16. Rafale, Typhoon, and J-10 are at least the kinematic equals overall to F-16. The first two are heavier fighters but generally speaking, they perfected the delta wing. Every evolution over delta wing incorporates the canards.

Even India is trying to incorporate canards to Tejas.
Your are fine, except for EF2000. It uses non closed coupled canard, but long arm canards. It would have been a nice choice with TVC... but TVC were canceled. So EF2000 is slightly less agile than close coupled canards delta (Gripen, J10, Rafale).

A french retired Rafale pilot, in a Youtube video said one year ago nearly that the more difficult west threat it has to train with was F16. EF2000 was "piece of a cake". Maybe exagerated because he is french and EF more a GB design... :o:

Last edited:
No. I don't take always the side of Pakistan. It's not the same.
But specifically on this forum it seems forbiden not to found all muslims, pak or chinese products ... very fine. They simply are not.
Lol what a liar you're
The M2000N and D are nice CAS fighter..
They also have lots of drag at low ALTITUDE

Your are fine, except for EF2000. It uses non closed coupled canard, but long arm canards. It would have been a nice choice with TVC... but TVC were canceled. So EF2000 is slightly less agile than close coupled canards delta (Gripen, J10, Rafale).

A french retired Rafale pilot, in a Youtube video said one year ago nearly that the more difficult west threat it has to train with was F16. EF2000 was "piece of a cake". Maybe exagerated because he is french and EF more a GB design... :o:

Interesting theory on the long arm vs close coupled canard and TVC. I think long arm has little to do with TVC need. There is no absolute need for TVC just because you adopt a long arm canard. Long arm canard is aerodynamically much more complex than close coupled canard. The Typhoon is a more complicated and aerodynamically advanced design than Gripen, Rafale, J-10.

As for F-16, it is a champion dogfighter. The best size and excellent thrust to weight with F110. Aerodynamically as good as it gets. Overall in basically all flight profiles, it is excellent in or at least not really weak in any. Don't think the French pilot's statement on Typhoon being a piece of cake for Rafale says anything except bias. After all they are competitors just like a BMW salesman will say Mercedes is rubbish. I remember Typhoon teams did comparison on capability and ranked Rafale very, very low, under F-15 and Su-27 and 1:1 with J-10 while Typhoon handled 5 Su-27 for every Typhoon. I think F-22 they ranked as 1 F-22 is equal to 11 Su-27. Anyway was all bullshit and highly biased study from team Typhoon.

As for dogfighting, Rafale certainly is one of the best of 4th generation designs. In this category, first place for dogfighting would be either Rafale or Typhoon in my opinion with Su-35 not far but low speed and post stall agility is not as valuable as supersonic agility which Su-35 is weaker in compared to delta canards. 5th generation fighters destroy these though (except F-35).

brother JF-17 Block-3 is nowhere close to Rafale, if you go by the capabilities of both the aircrafts.

JF-17 Block-3 is comparable to Tejas MK1A in terms of capabilities.
Even the IAF doesnt want junk Tejas, it is forced to take some now, haha.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom