What's new

Zubair, the scion of a legendary Afghan military family, graduates from NDA

Kaniska

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
A decade-and-a-half ago, his legendary uncle had stood like a rock against the waves of Taliban fundamentalism sweeping through his motherland. On Friday, Ahmad Zubair Massoud, nephew of Ahmad Shah Massoud, earned his first formal military qualification — and vowed to put it to use in a manner that the Lion of Panjshir himself would have applauded.
Soon after Zubair graduated from the National Defence Academy (NDA), his sister Nilofar tweeted Friday, "Congrats to the youngest member of our family @ZubairMassoud to graduate from the military academy!" Zubair's bio on his own Twitter profile reads, "Currently studying in the National Defence Academy, India. Soon to be an Officer in the ANA Afghan National Army".

As the US pulls combat troops out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014, Zubair will be ready to be commissioned into the country's national army as second lieutenant, carrying forward a hallowed family legacy. Between now and then, he will take advanced lessons in military training from a finishing academy either in India or in Afghanistan.

In many ways, Zubair's destiny as a military man was pre-decided at birth in the Massoud-Rabbani family in 1989. "Though I was very small, I grew up hearing stories of the bravery of my uncle Ahmad Shah Massoud. His armed opposition to the Taliban has been my inspiration to take up the profession of arms," Zubair said.

Zubair's father Ahmad Zia Massoud, who was vice-president of Afghanistan in the first government of President Hamid Karzai, added, "My brother was a national hero. His life has been the main inspiration for my son."

Ahmad Shah Massoud was a central figure in the Afghan resistance against Soviet occupation, and later became the political and military commander of the Northern Alliance which fought against the Taliban in the late nineties. He was assassinated by al-Qaeda suicide bombers two days before the 9/11 attacks on the US.

Ahmad Shah Massoud's younger brother — Zubair's father — Zia is married to the daughter of former president Burhanuddin Rabbani, and is chairman of the National Front of Afghanistan, which is working to ensure the Taliban do not return to power after the US pullout.

"Our problem is extremism and terrorism. The Taliban need to be eradicated if Afghanistan has to be stable after the US pullout," Zubair said. Zia stressed the crucial Indian role in the impending transition.

"Our problem is extremism and fundamentalism supported by Pakistan," Zia said. "After the Americans leave, we need strong support from India on security issues, training. Young officers such as my son trained in India will be there to take the nation ahead. But India should play a big role. Our army of 300,000 is enough to defend the nation, but we need more equipment and logistic support."

Zubair spoke fondly of the time spent at NDA, where he belonged to the 124th course and Charlie squadron. "I was treated very well at the academy, where I learnt the military aspects of tactics, defence and others. I have fallen in love with Pune over the last three years, especially with M G Road which we frequented. I made friends whom I will always remember, and I will miss my coursemates," he said.

Zubair, the scion of a legendary Afghan military family, graduates from NDA - Indian Express

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom