What's new

Zardari and Wild boars

asaad-ul-islam

Reaction score
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan's new menace: Wild boars

By Aijaz Maher
BBC News, Islamabad

The authorities in Pakistan's capital Islamabad have launched a major cull of wild boars after they broke into a high security zone.

Dozens of the animals have been shot or poisoned so far in the ongoing campaign, which is centred around the grounds of the presidential palace.

Boars inhabit the thickly-forested areas around Islamabad.

The city is located in a valley in the foothills of the Himalayas which provides them with perfect cover.

The animals have become a public nuisance in recent years, causing serious accidents and property damage.

'Population boom'

"We started the campaign after the boars infiltrated the green zone around the presidential palace," Raja Mohammad Javed, director of the Capital Development authority, told the BBC.

"Eighteen have been killed in the grounds of the presidential palace alone so far.

"The population has really boomed, and there are many hogs in the prime minister's residence as well," Mr Javed added.

At the moment though, he says the clean-up campaign is focused on the presidential palace.

Mr Javed said local citizens were responsible for the "spiralling hog population" as they threw rubbish in empty plots, which attracted them.

"We have hired hunters to track and kill the hogs, and they are sent out whenever a complaint is received," the director explained.

Mr Javed said special permits had also been issued to concerned local citizens and some foreign diplomats to hunt the boars.

It was not possible to put a figure on the numbers of boars in the capital as no survey has yet been conducted, he said.

:rofl:

If I'm visiting in the near future I will be sure to apply for that license, a license to kill doesn't come along quite often.

Wow !

Reminds me of days gone by when shikar was not a bad word. Do ppl eat wild boar in Pak ? I recall most didn't.

Instead of culling the animals, can't they be relocated ?

Wow !

Reminds me of days gone by when shikar was not a bad word. Do ppl eat wild boar in Pak ? I recall most didn't.

Instead of culling the animals, can't they be relocated ?

I don't think Pakistanis eat boars. boars fall in the pig family, and most Muslims don't pork.

Last edited:
That's a good Idea send them across the LOC:lol:

a wild boar was responsible for the destruction of a F-16 during the 80s at sargodha air-base - nasty creatures these!

1979 Shorkot 9 SQD Mirage while landing hit a wild bore, Its just in there nature that they run towards the light in the dark. Mirage lands at a 30 degree angle and when it touched its front tire the bore was in it. No ejection. That very night the french working on our mirage asked me if we mind that they take the bore, I said most welcome because our Lascars refused to touch the bore they called it Barla or Baher wala:lol:, Same night we took a helicopter the base commander was hakimullah Ex COAS me and Faiz Medhi. We killed over 250 bores in one night with a machine gun attached to the helicopter.

Same thing happened in Sargodha the bore hit the front tire the tire including the bore went into the intake Amir and Shuaib Afzal ejected in time before the plane exploded.

There is no scarcity of these creatures here sir

You misunderstand sir, Muradk intends to send these boars over in the hopes that Indian soldiers make a big meal out of them, and end up getting fat and lazy.:lol::enjoy:

1979 Shorkot 9 SQD Mirage while landing hit a wild bore, Its just in there nature that they run towards the light in the dark. Mirage lands at a 30 degree angle and when it touched its front tire the bore was in it. No ejection. That very night the french working on our mirage asked me if we mind that they take the bore, I said most welcome because our Lascars refused to touch the bore they called it Barla or Baher wala:lol:, Same night we took a helicopter the base commander was hakimullah Ex COAS me and Faiz Medhi. We killed over 250 bores in one night with a machine gun attached to the helicopter.

Same thing happened in Sargodha the bore hit the front tire the tire including the bore went into the intake Amir and Shuaib Afzal ejected in time before the plane exploded.

how do boars get into secured air bases and run onto the runways?

sir murad always when you write some thing i have nice day because i read good from you

That's a good Idea send them across the LOC:lol:

It did happen in the late 70's & early 80's when things were not so "hot" on the LC. The boars are fairly intelligent, when we shot at them, they'd run across the LC into Pak & safety.

Often we'd get " requests" thru posts across to do away with these animals from across & the farmers considered them as vermin.

Wild boars incidently are diff in their diet from pigs in that they eat the roots & not garbage. Pickled Boar was a delicacy .. good for asthma & chest ailments.They do not make anyone fat & lazy as someone here would like to believe. In winters, its meat is warm & healthy.

how do boars get into secured air bases and run onto the runways?

They abound like other animals like Nilgai, rabbits, patridges, deer in the undergrowth, shrubs etc that large airfields have.

Even at IGI while the aircraft taxies, one gets to see black partridges today.

You misunderstand sir, Muradk intends to send these boars over in the hopes that Indian soldiers make a big meal out of them, and end up getting fat and lazy.:lol::enjoy:

nahin buddy I hadn't got him wrong :) That is why I said there is no scarcity here please kill them there only he he he :)

Back
Top Bottom