What's new

Younis appointed Pakistani Captain!!!

Captain03

Reaction score
c9c3fdf0b49f529d49fc19a12274c034.jpg
Cricinfo - Younis appointed Pakistan captain
Nearly two years after he should've taken over, Younis Khan took his place as the captain of Pakistan, after the Pakistan Cricket Board decided to relieve Shoaib Malik of his duties. Younis, who has twice previously turned down the leadership, takes over as Test and ODI captain, his first assignment less than a month away when Sri Lanka return for a two-Test series.

After a night and day of intense speculation, and a day full of meetings, Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, confirmed rumours that had begun floating almost as soon as Pakistan trooped off the field after one of their worst ODI defeats to Sri Lanka on Saturday. They were fueled by a 15-minute meeting earlier today between Younis and Butt, in which the offer was first made. There followed meetings between Butt and senior officials from the board and team management at which it is learnt there was clear consensus: Malik had to step down.

"We asked Shoaib Malik to step down as captain. He agreed and only then did we appoint Younis Khan as captain of Pakistan," Butt told reporters at the Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore. "We have taken the step because our performances weren't great. The end result is not just winning but the performance. We didn't just lose to Sri Lanka, we performed poorly. So we have made Younis Khan the captain of both Test and ODI sides."

No tenure has yet been set for his leadership - "as is the PCB way," said one official - but there was unanimous approval for the move to replace Malik and bring in Younis. "The feeling was clear that something had to be done because the team had performed so poorly and Younis was the first choice," an official present at the meetings, said.

Younis has long been seen as the natural choice to lead Pakistan. The impression was built during an impressive two-year reign as vice-captain to Inzamam-ul-Haq, where he often stepped in to take over in sessions and Tests to telling effect. But he blotted his credentials by twice walking away from the post, which in turn led to uncertainty today over whether he would accept.

The first time he had done so was in October 2006, days before the Champions Trophy, when he walked out of a press conference fuming that he didn't want to be "a dummy captain." He turned down the post again after the World Cup the following year, though reasons weren't made clear at the time. But over the course of the year, Younis is said to have changed his views, culminating in the trip to India at the end of the year, where he expressed a desire to captain Pakistan.

It was understood by Cricinfo that Younis was keen to set some terms and conditions for taking over, but it appears that has not been the case. "As far as we are aware, no terms and conditions have been set," said the official. "The chairman is not the kind of man to qualify an offer. Younis was offered it and he accepted and that is that."

Malik's downfall had been on the cards for some time. His win-loss record in ODIs remains impressive but it has been built on weak opposition. Against bigger teams he has been less successful and the resounding nature of the defeats to Sri Lanka sealed the deal. But as much as on-field results, the pressure built on him because of his inability to build a relationship with senior players in the team. Mohammad Yousuf criticised him openly, though he did so only after going to the ICL. Privately, at least two other senior players were also unhappy with his approach and particularly at the clique he is said to have cultivated within the team.

These issues culminated last week with Malik openly questioning Shoaib Akhtar's commitment during the Sri Lanka series, before u-turning and claiming he had not singled out Shoaib. The episode is said to have greatly incensed the board and though Butt played down reports of a rift, another official hinted it might have been worse than previously thought.

"Many things were discussed in the meetings, including Malik's relationship with players. Things weren't great and as an example, during the last ODI in Lahore when the team was staying at the team hotel, Malik stayed at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). Draw what conclusions you want from that."

i think a good choice, some thing for sure that should have happened some 2 years back. the thing i have liked the most about him is the great sportsmanship with which he plays the game, and some how he has a knack of doing well against us.

i recall him congratulating every time some indian makes a century by going over and giving a pat on the back or for sure clapping for the concerned player. a thorough gentleman and i wish him all the best for his future as a captain.

and the gentleman has a very pleasant smile on his face all the time.

shoaib was asked to step down LOL, yah nikala gia

They should be all shot and we should let play our U-19 or other young teams, their performance will particularly be better

Last edited:
wrong move...tomorrow he will decide, that I want to be vice captain, but not the captain. Or come out with some other whim.

Coach throws his weight behind Younis

Thursday, January 29, 2009
KARACHI: Coach Intikhab Alam believes new captain Younis Khan has the ability to unite an under-performing Pakistan team behind him after taking over from Shoaib Malik following an embarrassing ODI defeat against Sri Lanka last week, writes Khalid Hussain.

Throwing his weight behind Younis, Intikhab said that the senior batsman is proactive and enjoys a great rapport with his peers - qualities that the coach hopes will make him a successful captain.

"Younis has a great understanding with fellow players," Intikhab told 'The News' in an interview on Wednesday. "He is proactive, confident, committed and is always willing to chip in whenever needed," added Intikhab, a former Pakistan captain.

The 31-year-old Younis was named as Pakistan captain for an indefinite period on Tuesday. He replaced Shoaib Malik just a few days after the all-rounder lead Pakistan to a humiliating 234-run defeat against Sri Lanka in their one-day series decider in Lahore.

Intikhab made it clear that there were no ill-feelings against Malik in the Pakistan camp.

"I believe Malik is a very fine cricketer," said Intikhab, who had emphatically supported Malik's captaincy after taking over as Pakistan coach last November.

"I'm not taking on u-turn on my previous comments," said Intikhab. "But all of us had noticed that Malik had a few shortcomings as captain, especially during the last two games of the series against Sri Lanka. He displayed a lack of man-management skills and that was a big flaw."

With Younis as captain, Pakistan are now looking to avenge their 1-2 defeat in the ODI series against Sri Lanka by defeating them in the Test series that is scheduled to begin in Karachi from January 22.

Intikhab was confident that Pakistan will be able to bounce back in the Tests.

"It is very important for us to do well in the Tests and I'm confident that Younis will be able to bring the best out of his players," he said.

Intikhab said that the team management and the national selectors intend to watch the performance of 25 odd players in a couple of five-day trial matches that will precede the Test series next month. He said that the idea is to give ample opportunity to all leading players as well as in-form youngsters from the domestic circuit before picking the Test squad.

Intikhab said that seniors like under-performing fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar will find themselves under the magnifying glass during the trial matches to be played in Lahore and Karachi - the venues for the two Tests.

"We will check out all the fast bowlers, spinners and openers available," he said. "Also under close inspection will be wicket-keepers."

Pakistan captain Younis Khan, however, is likely to miss at least one of the trials matches as he is looking forward to a week-long break ahead of the Test series.

Intikhab said that he has no objections adding that the team management wants top players to get as much rest as possible. "Leading players who have been playing continuously can miss the matches because they might get burnout," he said.
TheNews.

wrong move...tomorrow he will decide, that I want to be vice captain, but not the captain. Or come out with some other whim.

I think this time he is sure, and knows what to do. We have zero other options. He has no choice. He is to do what he is suppose to do.

Younis Khan is a team player and a cheerleader but has a "laid-back" personality which is not a good attribute for a Leadership position.

Off topic, but I REALLY miss watching cricket and here we don't get any channels dedicated to cricket. Yes we do but their charges are crazy!

Any websites that offer live streams?

Coach throws his weight behind Younis

Thursday, January 29, 2009
KARACHI: Coach Intikhab Alam believes new captain Younis Khan has the ability to unite an under-performing Pakistan team behind him after taking over from Shoaib Malik following an embarrassing ODI defeat against Sri Lanka last week, writes Khalid Hussain.

Throwing his weight behind Younis, Intikhab said that the senior batsman is proactive and enjoys a great rapport with his peers - qualities that the coach hopes will make him a successful captain.

"Younis has a great understanding with fellow players," Intikhab told 'The News' in an interview on Wednesday. "He is proactive, confident, committed and is always willing to chip in whenever needed," added Intikhab, a former Pakistan captain.

The 31-year-old Younis was named as Pakistan captain for an indefinite period on Tuesday. He replaced Shoaib Malik just a few days after the all-rounder lead Pakistan to a humiliating 234-run defeat against Sri Lanka in their one-day series decider in Lahore.

Intikhab made it clear that there were no ill-feelings against Malik in the Pakistan camp.

"I believe Malik is a very fine cricketer," said Intikhab, who had emphatically supported Malik's captaincy after taking over as Pakistan coach last November.

"I'm not taking on u-turn on my previous comments," said Intikhab. "But all of us had noticed that Malik had a few shortcomings as captain, especially during the last two games of the series against Sri Lanka. He displayed a lack of man-management skills and that was a big flaw."

With Younis as captain, Pakistan are now looking to avenge their 1-2 defeat in the ODI series against Sri Lanka by defeating them in the Test series that is scheduled to begin in Karachi from January 22.

Intikhab was confident that Pakistan will be able to bounce back in the Tests.

"It is very important for us to do well in the Tests and I'm confident that Younis will be able to bring the best out of his players," he said.

Intikhab said that the team management and the national selectors intend to watch the performance of 25 odd players in a couple of five-day trial matches that will precede the Test series next month. He said that the idea is to give ample opportunity to all leading players as well as in-form youngsters from the domestic circuit before picking the Test squad.

Intikhab said that seniors like under-performing fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar will find themselves under the magnifying glass during the trial matches to be played in Lahore and Karachi - the venues for the two Tests.

"We will check out all the fast bowlers, spinners and openers available," he said. "Also under close inspection will be wicket-keepers."

Pakistan captain Younis Khan, however, is likely to miss at least one of the trials matches as he is looking forward to a week-long break ahead of the Test series.

Intikhab said that he has no objections adding that the team management wants top players to get as much rest as possible. "Leading players who have been playing continuously can miss the matches because they might get burnout," he said.
TheNews.

this same crap intikhab alam was bedore saying that shoain will be the good captain now what happened to his U turn i hope PCB bring a new coach may be wasim or waqar intakhab alam time should be closed yes he was coach of 1992 team now cricket is change we dont need coaches of 70 era which ever the teams are on top see their coaches thay are 90 era any way i hope Younis khan will bring a new wicket keepar specially in ODI becuase we have suffered alot of hands from kamran akmal and our both ex captains and pcb administation never looked on his perfomance specially shoaib malik always kept backing a completely failure wicket keeper kamran kept drooping the catches and what we seen in last ODI he missed easy stumping i dont see kamran to be better even he get more matches but he kept getting worst for the team so please drop him and very very good move to change captain shoaib does not have guts to be captain he dosent have instincts to bring his team from worst to good position if he cannot play good in younis khan captaincy i hope he should be dropped too and bring new middle order solid batsman and about his offspin we has now saeed ajmal who is better than shoaib malik my test team is this

Nasir Jamshed
Salman Butt
Younis Khan (Captain)
Misbah ul Haq
Asim Kamal
Shoaib Malik
Sarfaraz (Wicket Keeper)
Umar Gul
Sohail tanveer
Rao Iftikahar Anjum
Saeed Ajmal:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:
Coach: Waqar younis