What's new

Yom Kippur War 1973: Why did Syria fail to take the Golan Heights?

@500 just destroyed your comments....man give it up....

He seems to have given up.

But the problem is that his belief system hinges on conspiracy theories.

So there is no hope for a chanage in his attitude.

@500 has given some excellent info.

But @The SC and others refuse to see and continue going "I can't see it" like a parrot.

Last edited:
It took one year, the most expensive part was sand dune along the 150 km canal.
from wiki
he sand wall and its concrete support prevented any armored or amphibious units from landing on the east bank of the Suez Canal without prior engineering preparations. Israeli planners estimated it would take at least 24 hours, probably a full 48 hours for the Egyptians to breach the sand wall and establish a bridge across the canal.[1][2] Immediately behind this sand wall, was the front line of Israeli fortifications. After the War of Attrition, there were 22 forts, which incorporated 35 strongpoints. The forts were designed to be manned by a platoon. The strongpoints, which were built several stories into the sand, were on average situated less than 5 km (3 mi) from each other, but at likely crossing points they were less than 900 metres (3,000 ft) apart. The strongpoints incorporated trenches, minefields, barbed wire and a sand embankment. Major strongpoints had up to 26 bunkers with medium and heavy machineguns, 24 troop shelters, six mortar positions, four bunkers housing anti-aircraft weapons, and three firing positions for tanks. The strongpoints were surrounded by nearly fifteen circles of barbed wire and minefields to a depth of 200 metres (660 ft). A strongpoint's perimeter averaged 200–350 metres (660–1,150 ft). The bunkers and shelters provided protection against anything less than a 500 kg bomb, and offered luxuries to the defenders such as air conditioning. Between 500–1,000 metres (1,600–3,300 ft) behind the canal, there were prepared firing positions designed to be occupied by tanks assigned to the support of the strongpoints. Some of the
Bar Lev Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4th armored crossed on 12-13 oct and depleted during 14 oct attack. Algerians were lower quality and I doubt they have very high morale to fight for Egypt.
what i know is there are a good number of units rearmed and redeployed between cairo and suez if the war continue .and algerians can fight if they got the chance
No need to attack it. Just cut supplies and bomb (the air defence was destroyed).
they can always attack anyway a coordinated attack from the 3rd army and the rest of the Egyptian forces behind them i cant say for sure what would happen or who will win but i am sure they would inflict heavy losses which isreal cant stand at that point of the war remember what happened in the isreali counter attack and the high losses they suffered in man and tanks and aircraft so a war of attrition was not in your favor also like i said before our air force did not have many losses and you were near our air bases that is a big advantage

That is 1967 war Mahmoud.
yes sorry

Guys don't bother with the liar and his blind believers , they don't know anything and just supporting him while they don't even know anything about the war, and they don't know that their army (the Pakistani army) also fought the Israeli army in 67 and October 73 wars, so they are saying that their army got fcked by IDF, okay then no problem, believe what you want to believe , the Pakistani noob army got fcked in October 73 by IDF
LOL

Wasteland, your credibility would improve if you would tone down your ranting. If the fact are on your side, there is no need for ranting.

If you were in my place, you would have understood my situation , i know everything, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS WAR, MY FATHER WAS A COLONEL DURING THAT WAR! MY FATHER IS EGYPTIAN ! HE PARTICIPATED IN THAT DAMN WAR ! I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS, if you were in my situation here you would have known how much this guy is a liar and a truth twisting son of a *****

If you were in my place, you would have understood my situation , i know everything, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS WAR, MY FATHER WAS A COLONEL DURING THAT WAR! MY FATHER IS EGYPTIAN ! HE PARTICIPATED IN THAT DAMN WAR ! I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS, if you were in my situation here you would have known how much this guy is a liar and a truth twisting son of a *****
An unemotional argument is a better argument. Don't take all this personally. It is just internet stuff.

An unemotional argument is a better argument. Don't take all this personally. It is just internet stuff.

And look at him talking about the Egyptian offensive on 14 October , he's saying it was a huge failure, but the liar ignores the fact, which is, Israel lost more Equipment than the Egyptians, Egyptian military lost 200 tanks, 1,000 dead, and Israeli lost 150 tanks, 60 armored fighting vehicles/APC's , ans some 10-12 aircraft , and 680 killed, it was a huge knock to the IDF, not to the Egyptians.

No Victor, No Vanquished: The Arab-Israeli War, 1973 by Edgar O'Ballance — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/gawrych/gawrych_pt5.pdf

Oh and, he was saying capturing Suez and Ismailia was not important, that amateur liar, if Israel was able to cap Ismailia they would have encircled the 2nd army, and cut the water supply to the whole country, do you know how critical that is if it was achieved ?!

secondly, he said Suez is a large city, while in fact Suez is a small city with an Area of just 9 square miles ! and he says capping Suez wasn't important to the IDF, well if it wasn't important then why did the IDF try more than 3 times to capture the city and attacked it over several days ?! why would a military waste it's time trying to capture a position that is not important ?! just messing around ?!

He doesn't answer these things, he just cherry-picks the things that he can twist it's neck and lie about it.

Last edited:
from wiki
he sand wall and its concrete support prevented any armored or amphibious units from landing on the east bank of the Suez Canal without prior engineering preparations. Israeli planners estimated it would take at least 24 hours, probably a full 48 hours for the Egyptians to breach the sand wall and establish a bridge across the canal.[1][2] Immediately behind this sand wall, was the front line of Israeli fortifications. After the War of Attrition, there were 22 forts, which incorporated 35 strongpoints. The forts were designed to be manned by a platoon. The strongpoints, which were built several stories into the sand, were on average situated less than 5 km (3 mi) from each other, but at likely crossing points they were less than 900 metres (3,000 ft) apart. The strongpoints incorporated trenches, minefields, barbed wire and a sand embankment. Major strongpoints had up to 26 bunkers with medium and heavy machineguns, 24 troop shelters, six mortar positions, four bunkers housing anti-aircraft weapons, and three firing positions for tanks. The strongpoints were surrounded by nearly fifteen circles of barbed wire and minefields to a depth of 200 metres (660 ft). A strongpoint's perimeter averaged 200–350 metres (660–1,150 ft). The bunkers and shelters provided protection against anything less than a 500 kg bomb, and offered luxuries to the defenders such as air conditioning. Between 500–1,000 metres (1,600–3,300 ft) behind the canal, there were prepared firing positions designed to be occupied by tanks assigned to the support of the strongpoints. Some of the
Bar Lev Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what i know is there are a good number of units rearmed and redeployed between cairo and suez if the war continue .and algerians can fight if they got the chance
they can always attack anyway a coordinated attack from the 3rd army and the rest of the Egyptian forces behind them i cant say for sure what would happen or who will win but i am sure they would inflict heavy losses which isreal cant stand at that point of the war remember what happened in the isreali counter attack and the high losses they suffered in man and tanks and aircraft so a war of attrition was not in your favor also like i said before our air force did not have many losses and you were near our air bases that is a big advantage

yes sorry

Brother Mahmood

No matter how we put it. The war had some interesting aspects from military tactics and logistics. No one can deny that.

And credit goes to Egyptian army to device such techniques.

However it was a bad idea to attack israel on such a holy day.

This is like someone attacking Egypt on Eid day when most of the gov and soldiers and police officers have gone home.

Not very nice.

Soldiers are people, humans and have families. Just imagine someone tells that 90% of soldiers in Pakistan or in Egypt cannot go home on Eid al Fitr especially if threat assessment is relatively low.

How bad it will be?

Setting aside religious holiday argument,

Sadat should have limited this to 1-2 days and immediately gone to UN/USA/USSR fora ceasefire.

But he did not and got carried away.

So when Youm Kapur was over, Israeli soldiers came down with vengeance, and we all know Sadat lost all the advantage and so many lives were lost on both sides.

peace

Brother Mahmood

No matter how we put it. The war had some interesting aspects from military tactics and logistics. No one can deny that.

This is like someone attacking Egypt on Eid day when most of the gov and soldiers and police officers have gone home.

Not very nice.

Soldiers are people, humans and have families. Just imagine someone tells that 90% of soldiers in Pakistan or in Egypt cannot go home on Eid al Fitr especially if threat assessment is relatively low.

LOL, now what's this bullshit ?! are you supposed to go to someone who is OCCUPYING a part of your county and tell him "excuse me when can i come to fight you" ?

And no soldiers or officers went home, how would they let the soldiers go home while they knew very well the Egyptians and Syrians are planning to attack ?! Golda Meir had reports of a joint Egyptian-Syrian attack, Moshe Dayan knew there was an imminent attack coming soon and requested to summon the reserve forces , the Israeli intelligence knew very well about the planned attack, but they still claimed it was a surprise to save their faces, what surprise ?! were the Egyptians supposed to say "when can we come to fight you to get back our land which you stole, sir?" ?! cut this crap, i only heard that bullshit from Israeli people, no way it's coming from a Pakistani !

Golda Meir's fears and uncertainty at outbreak of Yom Kippur War revealed in declassified documents

Brother Mahmood

yes it is not common to see full scale war in modern time and some weapons were first used in this war so it is an opportunity to learn a bit and remember the brave men who died in this war also to value peace because it came at a very high price

Not very nice.

How bad it will be?
in the 67 war isreal attack was a surprise and took out our air force while it was on the ground but we were good people and did not treat the isreali POWs the same way the isreali treated ours in 67
Sadat should have limited this to 1-2 days and immediately gone to UN/USA/USSR fora ceasefire.

So when Youm Kapur was over, Israeli soldiers came down with vengeance, and we all know Sadat lost all the advantage and so many lives were lost on both sides.
it was not up to him soviet and arabs pressure him to attack to help in the syrian front if we said no then the soviets and arabs would not back us and we find ourselves fighting the US (direct involve )and isreal

respect to your father and every one in the army they saved the reputation of the Egyptian armed forces and the reason we feel proud to have our great army

Brother Mahmood

Not very nice.

How bad it will be?

Setting aside religious holiday argument,

peace
Do you know, that was in Ramadan too, which is far worst than any EID, All the Egyptian army was fasting, isn't that more than fair.

Back
Top Bottom