What's new

Writer and disability campaigner thrashed in Goa theatre for not standing up during national anthem

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Writer and disability campaigner thrashed in Goa theatre for not standing up during national anthem
Award-winning writer and disability campaigner Salil Chaturvedi, who suffers from spinal injury could not rise to his feet, when he was thrashed by a couple standing in the aisle above him.

A disabled person was allegedly assaulted at a multiplex in Panaji, Goa when he didn’t stand up while the national anthem was being played, according to a Times of India report on Wednesday. Award-winning writer and disability campaigner Salil Chaturvedi, who suffers from spinal injury could not rise to his feet, when he was thrashed by a couple standing in the aisle above him.

According to the report, the husband hit Chaturvedi while the woman shouted “why can’t he get up?!” Chaturvedi turned and asked them “why don’t you just relax? Why do you have to get into people’s faces? You don’t know the story here. You will never know”.

Following this the couple again shouted at him and spoke about standing up during the anthem. However, later realising their error they backed out and fearing a police case, left the theatre.

As quoted by TOI, Chaturvedi said, “I can’t go. I’m afraid someone will hit me even harder, and worsen my spinal injury. I just don’t understand why it seems impossible for so many people to express patriotism in a non-aggressive manner.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...t-standing-up-during-national-anthem-3093030/

Why a disabled person was assaulted in an Indian cinema

Why a disabled person was assaulted in an Indian cinema
  • 25 October 2016
  • From the sectionIndia
_92064550_mediaitem92064549.jpg

Image captionSalil Chaturvedi and his wife Monika Kshatriya were watching a film
A disability activist who uses a wheelchair was assaulted in India for not standing up to the national anthem being played in a cinema. The incident triggered outrage over what many say is the rise of aggressive nationalism in the country. Salil Chaturvedi, who has been using a wheelchair since 1984, recounts the incident that left him shaken.

As a wheelchair user in India, going to the cinema is not the easiest thing to do.

So my wife Monika and I, usually keep big screen cinema hall outings to the minimum.

Every once in three months, we summon up what it takes to make that journey. Some places are easy, some are hard, and needlessly so.

Anyway, that Sunday morning a few months ago we had a movie hall sojourn on our plans.

Excited
I was excited with the prospect of watching Kabali, the latest release of the superstar Rajnikant - I'd never seen a Rajnikant movie in the theatre before.

I got behind the wheel of my car, a golden-bronze beauty with an automatic gear shift, that's been modified for my use - accelerator and brakes brought up for hand usage.

Why India needs to get rid of its sedition law

I'm a deft hand behind the wheel and driving is exhilarating and liberating. It was a rainy Sunday, cool and green all around as it can get only in Goa.

We live on the island of Chorao, 12km (7.45 miles) from the main city of Panjim and the movie hall. That means a ferry crossing to get to the mainland.

At Panjim, we met a friend, and the three of us enthusiastically trooped to the INOX theatre in Panjim for an afternoon show.

_92064865_mediaitem92064864.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Image captionThe incident triggered outrage over what many say is the rise of aggressive nationalism
It's always a well-planned operation going to the cinema: once we are in the theatre, Monika goes looking for the ushers while I stare wide-eyed at all the movie posters for the upcoming releases, ignoring the stares of people who are not used to seeing a disabled person.

Some toddlers usually point me out to their parents asking what a man is doing on a chariot. Cute, but irritating.

Monika finds two ushers and explains to them that we need help to get to my seat and two people will be required to carry me up the aisle.

She tells them to let us in before they open the gates to the public so it's easy to get to the seat. There's always an edge to her voice and I wish I can make it easier for her but there's nothing I can do.

Singled out
So, this day, we are finally in our seats and I lift myself up and Monika slides my air-cushion under me and the three of us settle in to watch the trailers. The hall fills up slowly, with people and the smell of popcorn.

But just before the movie begins the national anthem is played and everyone in the hall stands up.

It's one of those moments when I feel a bit singled out since I am the only one sitting.

It's an unsettling kind of feeling, as if one is not participating, somehow alienated.

I can hear a couple behind me singing the anthem loudly and with obvious pride. I pay attention to their singing, admiring their passion.

Suddenly I get a rude whack on my head from behind. I flip my head back and the man gestures for me to stand up.

_92067114_mediaitem92067110.jpg
Image copyrightFREDERICK NORONHA
Image captionThe incident happened in a cinema theatre in Goa
Stunned, I turn back to the screen and wait for the national anthem to get over. I should be feeling rage, I think to myself, but my hands begin to shake with nervousness.

When the anthem ends I turn around in my seat and address the man - "Why don't you just relax in life?"

"You can't even stand up for the national anthem?" his partner screams at me.

"Look, you don't even know the story here," I say. "You should just learn to relax a little in life. Why do you have to get physical and hit people?"

Monika is watching this with surprise wondering what's going on.

My friend is also clueless about what has just happened.

When Monika hears the word 'hit', she just loses it.

"Did you just hit my husband?" she shouts.

Traumatic
"Why can't he stand up for the anthem?" the woman says loudly from behind. "Do you know he's disabled, you ******?" Monika screams back.

The man realises his mistake and he leans over and begins apologising to me. The woman doesn't seem to have caught on and she gets into a slanging match with Monika.

God, this is not happening. It was just meant to be an evening out to enjoy a movie.

Suddenly, an usher appears with a torch and tells everyone to calm down since the people in the hall are getting disturbed.

The woman asks the usher if the manager is on the premises. He sternly tells her to sit down and be calm.

"Are you alright?" Monika reaches over and asks me.

_92065525_gettyimages-477098785.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionIndia lacks adequate facilities for the disabled
"I'm fine," I lie.

"Let's watch the movie, please,"' I say, though I would like to go back to my peaceful home in Chorao.

Suddenly, the couple behind us get up and leave the hall. I feel the muscles in my stomach relax a little.

That day, Rajnikant fails to spin his web for me. Strangely, my mind repeatedly travels to the empty chairs behind me.

I keep thinking of the moment when the man would have taken a decision to reach out and knock me behind the head. How was he to know that I wouldn't hit back?

Was he thinking anything at all? Was it a reflex action on his part?

Was the love for his country (and mine) so overpowering that he felt nothing about physically assaulting someone?

What am I supposed to do the next time?

Reflex action
Should I inform the people behind me that I am disabled and will not be standing up for the anthem?

Should I wear some sort of badge for people to know I am disabled?

Should the national anthem be played at a cinema hall in the first place?

After the movie we wait for the hall to empty and then Monika gets the wheelchair and goes looking for ushers to carry me down the aisle to the wheelchair.

Why do they always forget that they had got me up and are now required to get me back down?

The next morning the children in the school near our house sing the national anthem at the morning assembly.

I lie in bed listening to their tiny voices that are full of national pride.

_92067116_a86ee0d1-309a-4688-9372-f258f59a467e.jpg
Image copyrightFREDERICK NORONHA
Image captionSalil Chaturvedi says he will book the last seats in the cinema from now on
I shoot off a letter to the editor of the local newspaper and then send an email to the theatre management requesting them to introduce a slide in the hall asking people to refrain from forcing others to stand up.

I hope I'll be able to rediscover the national anthem some day.

For now, I've hit upon a plan to go see the movies: Book the rear-most seats in the hall.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37749247

Now then whose mistake it is?
1. Indian public spaces are not disabled friendly- Theaters dont have empty spaces reserved for wheelchairs.
2. This common public is highly prejudiced and insensitive to differently abled persons.
3. Some people go hyper only in Theaters to show the patriotism .

when showing patriotism doesnt cost u ur life or money, then why not show it just to feel good about oneself. after all, RTI activists and IA soldiers are there to do the heavy lifting.

Now then whose mistake it is?
1. Indian public spaces are not disabled friendly- Theaters dont have empty spaces reserved for wheelchairs.
2. This common public is highly prejudiced and insensitive to differently abled persons.
3. Some people go hyper only in Theaters to show the patriotism .

Let me make it easy for you.

The mistake was made by that disable person by now showing appropriate respect toe the National anthem and the Nation Flag.

THIS is how its done,

stock-photo-young-us-soldier-in-wheelchair-saluting-american-flag-over-gray-background-145496374.jpg

So being disable do not give you a free pass to show disrespect when the National anthem is playing.

Showing respect to Indians when the Anthem is being played is NOT "hyper patriotism". Only a degenerate would think like that.

If the disabled do not want to be treated any special, then let them do what normal people do. Show respect the way they can and SHOULD.

The only other thing I can think off is when there is a message asking people to stand for the Anthem, they can also include the disable to salute during the anthem. But ignorance is not an acceptable defence in Law.

Well it simply proves that we don't have any scarcity with our share of fanatics. :(

It also proves we have our share of Morons who will follow british bbc propaganda without using whatever little brains they have. :coffee:

when showing patriotism doesnt cost u ur life or money, then why not show it just to feel good about oneself. after all, RTI activists and IA soldiers are there to do the heavy lifting.

LOL... why should show of Patriotism cost you your life or money ? :cheesy:

WHY should you not feel good about oneself by a show of patriotism ? :woot:

Epic FAIL. :lol:

The mistake was made by that disable person by now showing appropriate respect toe the National anthem and the Nation Flag.

THIS is how its done,

stock-photo-young-us-soldier-in-wheelchair-saluting-american-flag-over-gray-background-145496374.jpg

So being disable do not give you a free pass to show disrespect when the National anthem is playing.

Showing respect to Indians when the Anthem is being played is NOT "hyper patriotism". Only a degenerate would think like that.

If the disabled do not want to be treated any special, then let them do what normal people do. Show respect the way they can and SHOULD.

The only other thing I can think off is when there is a message asking people to stand for the Anthem, they can also include the disable to salute during the anthem. But ignorance is not an acceptable defence in Law.

It also proves we have our share of Morons who will follow british bbc propaganda without using whatever little brains they have. :coffee:

Look. He is not a soldier to do a salute when its going on. I am not sure if the other person "hit" or "tapped". But Indian public is highly insensitive. Our public places are not user friendly for disabled. It has to start with theatres. This incident is Ugly in whatever way you see.

To realise something, we need to admit our mistake first.

Look. He is not a soldier to do a salute when its going on. I am not sure if the other person "hit" or "tapped". But Indian public is highly insensitive. Our public places are not user friendly for disabled. It has to start with theatres. This incident is Ugly in whatever way you see.

To realise something, we need to admit our mistake first.

Are you joking ? One does not have to be a 'soldier' to show respect when the National anthem is playing.

Every body has to stand when the national anthem is playing, not only soldiers. IF you cannot stand, the next thing you do is salute. THAT is how you show respect.

Its unlikely the other person would have 'hit' in the traditional use of the word, he would have given that guy a hard swipe or a hard tap.

But that person also had the decency to Apologise for his behaviour after realising the man was handicapped. That shows more decency than the handicapped man who did not even salute when the anthem was playing.

Our place not being handicap friend is a fact but that's a totally different argument and topic and has nothing to do with what happened. If we were handicap friendly, then the message should have asked the handicapped people to salute for the national anthem.

This is not an ugly incident, but just an incident where,

1. Disrespect was shown by handicapped person
2. Disrespect was shown by person who hit the handicap person
3. Apology was given by the person who hit.
4. The couple who started the fracas felt suitably ashamed to leave the theatre before the movie started.
5. The handicapped person continues to feel no sense of what he did wrong, instead chose to focus on all that others did wrong.
6. BBC seeing an excellent opportunity to undermine patriotism in India.
7. Children of Macaulay gulping down bbc propaganda.

SO yes, for correcting something. one HAS to recognise and admit the mistakes. Can you ?

THIS is how its done,

Sorry sir. I really disagree with you.

What right does those people who question the patriotism of Chaturvedi have to ask him to physically assault or even question him for not standing up for the national anthem ??

If I don't stand up while the national anthem is being played, does that mean I'm anti-national ?? No sir, definitely not. It's only a matter of personnel choice. But respecting the rights of others is certainly a part of civility and I think it is well above any nationalism. No one can and should impose his/her nationalism on others. :(

That said I'm not the one who's nationalism is invoked only during a cricket match or war between Pakistan. :)

It was a mistake by both side and soon the couple shouting at the disabled man realized it. They even left the theatre realizing their mistake and police. Probably they should have apologized . That's what I feel.

This is another case where media prejudice has blown the case out of proportion. And media houses likes of BBC and other english and international media will leave no stone unturned to shame the rising consciousness of the people. Actually it's a good thing that people are realizing what this nation is and what it's pillar and symbols of pride are. It's always a proud moment to stand up in honor of your flag and nation, be it in cinemas or on street or on border.

Sorry sir. I really disagree with you.

What right does those people who question the patriotism of Chaturvedi have to ask him to physically assault or even question him for not standing up for the national anthem ??

If I don't stand up while the national anthem is being played, does that mean I'm anti-national ?? No sir, definitely not. It's only a matter of personnel choice. But respecting the rights of others is certainly a part of civility and I think it is well above any nationalism. No one can and should impose his/her nationalism on others. :(

That said I'm not the one who's nationalism is invoked only during a cricket match or war between Pakistan. :)

1. You are free to disagree, That is your prerogative.

2. You are also free to show disrespect to anyone, only you run the danger of either being abused. Either verbally, physically or financially.

So a smart man shows respect out of necessity, a cultured man shows respect out of good upbringing and values.

3. Everyone has the right to question anyone else. That too is a fundamental right. Not only about patriotism, but even about mundane things like wearing a lungi to office or wearing a flip flops to a 5 star restaurant.

4. If you or anyone shows disrespect when the National anthem is paying then YES, it is ONE of the indicators of being a Anti National.

Its not a necessary condition, but could be a sufficient condition. Enough to create doubt in peoples mind.

in a day and age of terrorism and daily attacks on India by Indians of various anti social ideology like Communism (maoism), Islamic terrorism etc. , its become more important to demonstrate good will and respect for the Nation.

That is why the govt. had decided to play the national anthem in theatres. To allow people to reinforce their belief and commitment to the nation.

To defy this in public is to make a ugly statement that creates public unrest, suspicion, fear and anxiety.

One can argue the one has the right to scream "BOMB" in an aircraft, but it will land you in Jail. The reason are the same as given above.

Finally RESPECT is to be earned, not given in charity. So if the other person shows disrespect and uncivil attitude, then he has no right to expect civil behaviour from others. Nor expect respect from others.

So the next time you decide to be uncivil and disrespectful by quoting "freedom", expect the same from others. Is that clear enough ?

There were no wheelchair or crutches, probably the fellow would have been talking on phone or something, so an honest mistake probably by the couple

Last edited:
There were no wheelchair or crutches, probably the fellow would have been talking on phone or something, so an honest mistake probably by the couple

The obvious conclusion would be that he came first, the couple behind him came much later.

Everyone has the right to question anyone else. That too is a fundamental right. Not only about patriotism, but even about mundane things like wearing a lungi to office or wearing a flip flops to a 5 star restaurant.

Well I never studied under the syllabus with which your were educated, or maybe I'm a bad student. LOL :p:

According to our constitution the fundamental right are;
  • Right to Equality
  • Right to Freedom
  • Right against Exploitation
  • Right to Freedom of Religion
  • Cultural and Educational Rights
  • Right to Constitutional Remedies
What you told may very well fall under Fundamental duties.

It shall be the duty of every citizen of India —

• To abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem;
  • To cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
  • To uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
  • To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
  • To promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
  • To value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
  • To protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life, and to have compassion for living creatures;
  • To develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
  • To safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
  • To strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavor and achievement;
  • Who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or ward, as the case may be, between the age of six to fourteen years
Fundamental Rights and Duties

But again as per our constitution and law, never standing while National anthem is played doesn't amount to disrespect.

As provided in Section 3 of the Act, whoever intentionally prevents the singing of the Jana Gana Mana or causes disturbances to any assembly engaged in such singing shall be punished with imprisonment for a term, which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

According to the above section, the said couple can be tried for trying cause disturbance while national anthem was being played. LOL :p:

If you don't know the constitution, law and it's provisions please don't come for some petty argument. First please try and get some correct knowledge and then argue.

This was a clear case of intervention into the Fundamental Rights of Mr. Chaturvedi and the couple who did that are at fault. Period. :(

The obvious conclusion would be that he came first, the couple behind him came much later.

Yups no biggie, WTH BBC has to publish some misunderstanding in a Goa theater. Once when I was checking out a recliner the Anthem started playing and I got stuck and an Aunty behind me asked me to stand up/hurry-up darn BBC and Indian Media never published that incident

Back
Top Bottom