What's new

WOW !! I Never Knew About Operation Searchlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
trying to destroy the thread ?
View attachment 36395
reply to what he asked.

how do you know that all those dead weren't killed by you people for being pro pakistan?
killing and raping would've been against our cause. we were just trying to keep our country together. and those atrocities committed would've united more bengalis against us.
however it would go perfectly with your cause and indias cause, rape and kill innocents then blame it on pakistanis to unite people against us.

i will believe a sharmila bose before any of you.
she is clearly neutral in fact she from your side but just doesn't support your false views.

Right, and by that yardstick, since we are throwing out random figures without any actual evidence to support them, the 100,000 plus Indian military and paramilitary security forces deployed in IoK have raped how many Kashmiri women?

I don't know, but if you want to discuss that, why dont you open another thread and we can talk about it, instead of trying to derail this one .

In this case, I am simply contesting the logic that 400,000 rapes by 45,000 soldiers is physically not possible over a period of 10-11 months. Whether that happened or not, I will leave to more informed people to discuss. But the logic of being physically impossible does not hold water

I don't know, but if you want to discuss that, why dont you open another thread and we can talk about it, instead of trying to derail this one .
Nothing is being derailed - I am making a comparison between two similar situations to point out the lack of supporting evidence behind the exaggerated claims of "400,000 raped and millions killed by the PA"
In this case, I am simply contesting the logic that 400,000 rapes by 45,000 soldiers is physically not possible over a period of 10-11 months.
In this case, I am simply contesting the logic that 400,000 rapes by 45,000 soldiers is physically not possible over a period of 10-11 months. Whether that happened or not, I will leave to more informed people to discuss. But the logic of being physically impossible does not hold water
We are on the same page then - your response here is more objective and nuanced than it came across in the earlier post.

No one likes a whinny snitch.

Sir, it would be very difficult to moderate this forum without "Report" function. While everyone is expected to show a bit of patience, keeping this forum healthy is a collective responsibility. I have yet to go through this thread to look at any violations, but your comment sure does not help anyone or anything on this forum.

Sharmila Bose is not Bangladeshi, she is an Indian. And her book has been comprehensively rubbished by almost every credible historian.

I don't want to go on about the past that we are all trying to move on from, but mass killings by Pak forces did happen. Nowhere near 3m but many thousands. The countries' Intellectuals were target killed. Hundreds of women were raped. There are many living eyewitnesses to these matters (Bd, Pakistanis and Indian) so better to accept it and move on.

Muktis did kill many in revenge, especially Biharis, but it is a truth that Bdesh does not deny and is still dealing with today.
I have yet to read an actual 'rubbishing' by any credible historian. It is very difficult to 'rubbish' an original piece of investigative work of historical importance. She did not just write a book out of thin air. She traveled to Bangladesh, Pakistan, and also did research in India. She conducted numerous interviews. One thing kept coming up again and again. The claims were actually widely exaggerated and were unsustainable in the light of investigations. As far as I have read, any people who do try to call her work into question do so by quoting dubious sources and emotional devices. These cooked up numbers are for local consumption of nationalist Bangladeshis and they certainly are not interested in questioning them, particularly since their Indian friends are there to lull any suspicions to sleep.

The story of 3 million comes from a mis-translation of 3 lac (300,000) to 3 million. The figure of 300,000 was on the higher side to begin with. The addition of a zero in the wrong place makes this claim totally unsustainable in the light of scrutiny.

The only account of a woman who suffered rapes that I came across was by a woman who toured GCC countries in 2001 (?) and the local media covered her story by publishing her story in papers. She claimed that she had been abducted by and Bangali she trusted as an elder and was kept in a rest house where she was raped by Pakistan Army officers as well as their Bangali cohorts (not Bihari). One of the rapists was the Bangali person who had abducted her in the first place.

This is an account of a woman who made a GoB-sponsored tour of GCC countries during government of Awami League under Hasina.

This account in interesting in asserting that: 1. Pakistan Army Officer(s) were complicit in some rapes. 2. The Bangalis themselves facilitated such activity. 3. Bangalis too were involved in this practice.

This also recalls to my mind the excellent book, "Witness to Surrender" by Sadeeq Salik who had a background in journalism and was attached with Pakistan Army as information officer and it was his job to interface with media and journalists.

On Page 103 of his book's Urdu edition, he writes that many Bangali families felt that they could be safe if they had some connection with officers of Pakistan Army. Such house holds which had attractive females indeed had good protection because of Pakistan Army Officers' frequent visits. He describes one such attempt by an editor of a Bangla news paper. His wife when left alone with Sadeeq Salik gave him a good dressing down, and he left the angry beauty by herself despite her husband's willingness for them to be together for an hour or two.

In this book, Sadeeq Salik describes the difficulty of gathering figures and estimates the casualties to be in four figures. The said book is a treasure trove of information since it describes the situation that led to Operation Search-light, attack by India, and then surrender of Pakistan Army.

The Pakistan Army was a disciplined army and though there doubtless were atrocitites committed, they were certainly not at the level often described by Bangladeshi nationalists and their Indian friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom