What's new

World’s largest bookstore opens in Tehran, Iran

World’s largest bookstore opens in Tehran, Iran
Book lovers, we’ve found your dream destination – the world’s largest bookstore just opened in Tehran, Iran. The Book Garden is a gigantic green-roofed building measuring 154,000 square feet that has 12 miles of shelves packed with millions of books. The project is part of a larger 700,000 square foot complex that features several movie theaters, science halls, classrooms, a prayer room and a restaurant.

Book-Garden-Tehran-Iran-2-889x590.jpg

Tehran-Iran-Book-Store-Largest-In-The-World-Book-Garden-1-889x573.jpg

The Book Garden aims to encourage Iranian children to be “active and creative through modern methods and equipment,” said Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani. “The opening of the Book Garden is a big cultural event in the country, so that our children can make better use of this cultural and academic opportunity,” added Tehran Mayor Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf.

Book-Garden-Tehran-Iran-4-889x432.jpg

Book-Garden-Tehran-Iran-5-889x591.jpg

Mehr News reports that the Book Garden was first pitched in 2004 to cater to fans of the city’s annual International Book Fair. After construction was completed last spring, organizers spent the past few months stocking the facility it with books. According to RealIran, there are more than 400,000 titles available for kids alone. One of the centers even has shorter shelves to ensure younger kids can reach the educational resources.

Book-Garden-Tehran-Iran-889x500.jpg

Book-Garden-Tehran-Iran-3-889x591.jpg

Related: Chinese watermelon plant yields 131 fruit for Guinness World Record

The Book Garden is now the biggest bookstore in the world, according to the Guinness World Records. Until now, Barnes & Noble along Fifth Avenue in New York City held the record.
http://inhabitat.com/worlds-largest-book-store-opens-in-tehran-iran/

There are some things about Iran I really admire and wish them the best... there are other things I differ with them and have some grave concerns. ... as with all things nothing is black or white. ..

The world is more complex and diverse and every person deserves respect and to be heard.

Good job Iran.. Keep pushing the boundaries of knowledge.

Great work, the pursuit of knowledge is the ultimate boon for eliminating poverty, ignorance and extremism.

ای ایران ای مرز پرگهر
ای خاکت سرچشمۂ هنر
دور از تو اندیشه بدان
پاینده مانی تو جاودان

Glad I am not the only, this new kindle, online books etc just don't do it for me. I want to be able to smell the freshly printed paper and the delicate creases and bookmarks left by countless readers. Unfortunately, so many libraries have closed around the world but it is very heartening to see this in Iran. Good work. :tup:
:wub:

Once again Iranian never failed to amazed me. Iran and China are two longest living empires in the world.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Not too far from Park Laleh. I lived close to that for a while.

I read about 2 books a week- based on my limited experience, the size of the bookstore is unimportant. It's the size of the collection that matters- 'collection' meaning the quality of books.

Thus, a small space can house a universe, while the largest bookstore is often a repetition of small ideas.

No offense to our Iranian friends of course.

Persians always loved Education and still do and i hope this great architecture and big building should be filled as well with great minds it shouldnt b used for promote tourism

Back
Top Bottom