What's new

Winds of change : Russia offers defence help to Pakistan

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

ISLAMABAD: Russia can provide defence equipment to Pakistan as part of collaboration between the two countries, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said on Thursday. “Pakistan and Russia can co-operate in several sectors, including energy, communications, gas pipeline projects and steel production,” Qureshi said at a meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergei V Lavrov, on the sidelines of the 63rd United Nations General Assembly session in New York.

He also highlighted the significant political developments taking place in the region, necessitating ‘a common understanding between Pakistan and Russia’. Lavrov said Russia was keen to enhance bilateral relations with Pakistan, adding that it was willing to provide equipment to bolster Pakistan’s counterterrorism capabilities.

The Russian foreign minister suggested an early meeting of the Inter Governmental Commission. The Russian gas company Gazprom, he added, was interested in becoming part of the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline project.

This is something that is already overdue and needs urgent attention. We not only need equipment to tackle counter insurgency but to also enhance our conventional capabilities, but obviously it will take some time to remove the distrust and for Russia to stop seeing Pakistan from India eyes rather take its role as a regional power.

^^^ i wouldnt read too much into this. i have read these "diplomatic" statements many times and nothing comes out of it. dont expect direct military sales to pakistan from russia anytime soon.

Pakistani Foreign Minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, has revealed that Russia has said it would be willing to provide defence equipment to Pakistan to help it fight terror.

Qureshi, after meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, on the sidelines of the ongoing 63rd United Nations General Assembly session in New York, said: "Russia is willing to provide equipment to bolster Pakistan's counter-terrorism capabilities. It is also keen to enhance bilateral relations with Pakistan."

He said: "Pakistan and Russia can co-operate in several sectors, including energy, communications, gas pipeline projects and steel production."

He also said significant other political developments were taking place between Pakistan and Russia.
Russia offers defence help to Pakistan

:) time to join hands with Russia against hidden hands that are working againsg Pakistan as well as Russian long-term intrests in the region.

My personal opinion is that we should workout with Russia to play the same role which was played by US back in 80s.
After all its game of intrests for all. And when our so-called ally is playing double then it is time to remind them their own saying "Everything is fair in War and love"

Pakistani Foreign Minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, has revealed that Russia has said it would be willing to provide defence equipment to Pakistan to help it fight terror.

Qureshi, after meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, on the sidelines of the ongoing 63rd United Nations General Assembly session in New York, said: "Russia is willing to provide equipment to bolster Pakistan's counter-terrorism capabilities. It is also keen to enhance bilateral relations with Pakistan."

He said: "Pakistan and Russia can co-operate in several sectors, including energy, communications, gas pipeline projects and steel production."

He also said significant other political developments were taking place between Pakistan and Russia.

i dont think pakistan want defence equipment from russia to fight WOT as they are already getting from US but i think as soon as doors are opened something big like S-400 or S-300 could be expected..

i dont think pakistan want defence equipment from russia to fight WOT as they are already getting from US but i think as soon as doors are opened something big like S-400 or S-300 could be expected..

good thinking, at least ! even nothing happen , at least it is good to see two asian giants, talking toeach others , as russia needs support on many burrning isues, it wont be just talks for talks,i guss.:cheers::tup:

ya, even my uncle has said that his brother's friend's son: overherd some russians saying that Russians were ready to help pakistan to fight terror....:victory::bounce::lol:

^^^ i wouldnt read too much into this. i have read these "diplomatic" statements many times and nothing comes out of it. dont expect direct military sales to pakistan from russia anytime soon.

Yep proof of the pudding is in the eating. When there is Russian hardware in Pakistan, then one can say that this avenue has opened up.

:) time to join hands with Russia against hidden hands that are working againsg Pakistan as well as Russian long-term intrests in the region.

My personal opinion is that we should workout with Russia to play the same role which was played by US back in 80s.
After all its game of intrests for all. And when our so-called ally is playing double then it is time to remind them their own saying "Everything is fair in War and love"

I do not think that Russia will supply sensitive military technology to Pakistan, India is a very big market to risk. In case if Russians start supplying to Pakistan India might not buy advanced/sensitive military equipment from them. Another point is India is not just buying weapons/technology from Russians but is also developing it with them. Both countries are sharing the research cost to develop new technologies and thus it limits the military collaboration that Pakistan can have with Russia. The biggest strength of Indian diplomacy has been that they have forged strategic relations with US and maintained their strategic relation with Russia.

However, I do feel that Russia might start selling some weapons to Pakistan not very significant.

Back
Top Bottom