What's new

‘Widespread’ torture by police in Pakistan condemned by United Nations

Reaction score
Country
India
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-by-united-nations?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld

UN urges Pakistan to ‘incorporate into its legislation a specific definition of torture’ to be applied without exception
Agence France-Presse
Saturday 13 May 2017 02.15 BST

A UN committee has condemned the “widespread practice of torture” in Pakistan by police, the military and intelligence agencies in a report published on Friday, and called on Islamabad to implement urgent reforms to the law.
“The police engage in the widespread practice of torture throughout the territory ... with a view to obtaining confessions from persons in custody,” the UN Committee against Torture wrote in its first report on the situation in the country, made public after months of investigation.
“The Committee is seriously concerned at reports that members of the State party’s military forces; intelligence forces ... and paramilitary forces ... have been implicated in a significant number of cases of extra-judicial executions involving torture and enforced disappearances.”
It urged Pakistan to “incorporate into its legislation a specific definition of torture” that can be applied without exception, including to the army, which is regularly accused of abusing its powers.
The UN highlighted that the Torture, Custodial Death and Custodial Rape Bill, presented several years ago, has yet to be put to a vote.
Pakistan, which ratified the Convention against Torture in 2010, presented its first report on the situation in the country this year – four years late.
In its findings, the UN referred to the torture of several Pakistani bloggers who had criticised extremism and the authorities, leading to weeks in arbitrary detention.
The committee said Pakistan had failed to launch an investigation into any of these cases, or into the numbers disappeared or killed in detention.
The National Commission of Human Rights, an organisation linked to Pakistan’s parliament, welcomed the report, saying “the publication could help start a conversation about torture” in the country.
A “total” ban on torture is an “unequivocal prerequisite to effectively fight terrorism”, it added.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-by-united-nations?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld

Pakistan police try and obtain confessions through torture, in a country where a confession made to a Policeman is not admissible........ yeah, dudes at "UN Committee", when you start writing up bullshit, please try and tailor it to the country you are writing about, boilerplate copy paste makes you look bad.....

Thank You.

Such reports were expected after confessions by Indian spy KJ and Ex-TTP spokesperson Ehsan ullah Ehsan.

secret military run anti-terrorism courts
Didnt know they were secret.

They are basically kangaroo courts.
How can you say that while verdicts by ATC could be challenged in higher courts?

Pakistan is fast becoming another North Korea that has very few human rights.
You belong to Ahmadiyya family while you practice shiism (your avatar). Hasnt state given you right to do whatever you want or to follow whatever you think is best? Whatelse rights do you want?

It is becoming a Yazidi-type state where innocent people are oppressed if anyone is even suspected of being against the military establishment. They are following the footsteps of the wretched Umayyads and the repressive Abbasid regimes.
Typical sectarian hate speech.

If ATC isn't secret let them open their proceedings to the public like all other courts.
If you must know why their proceedings are kept secret, go and learn why there was a need for ATCs. Im not here to teach you.

My friend all Muslims hate Yazidi and Umayyad except for the Nasibi heretics which are an insignificant minority.
Im muslim and I dont hate them for nothing. Dont implement your views on others. Infact nobody in Pakistan cares about Yazidi, Umayyads or whatelse going on in M.E sect wars.

You accuse me, but it seems to me that you yourself are perhaps a Yazidi follower. Am I right?
Whoever I am is none of your concern.
What If I am a Yazidi follower, are you gonna kill me for that?
Btw what about you, Are you an Ahmadi or a Shia Muslim? And you didnt reply me to my question in other thread. Im gonna ask you again: do you believe Mirza Ghulam Ahmad was a prophet of Allah?

In Pakistan, the military establishment persecutes and commits extra judicial killings of Baloch and now Mohajir brothers in Karachi.
Nobody is killing baloch & mohajir . stop spreading rumors ( i am Mohajir ). i doubt you are an indian Muslim .

How did UN found out about Pakistan's Guantanamo bay and missed the gardens of roses and springs of milk and honey that Indian government has been building for Kashmiri people in Kashmir for the last 75 years?

UN urges Pakistan to ‘incorporate into its legislation a specific definition of torture’ to be applied without exception
Agence France-Presse
Saturday 13 May 2017 02.15 BST

A UN committee has condemned the “widespread practice of torture” in Pakistan by police, the military and intelligence agencies in a report published on Friday, and called on Islamabad to implement urgent reforms to the law.
“The police engage in the widespread practice of torture throughout the territory ... with a view to obtaining confessions from persons in custody,” the UN Committee against Torture wrote in its first report on the situation in the country, made public after months of investigation.
“The Committee is seriously concerned at reports that members of the State party’s military forces; intelligence forces ... and paramilitary forces ... have been implicated in a significant number of cases of extra-judicial executions involving torture and enforced disappearances.”
It urged Pakistan to “incorporate into its legislation a specific definition of torture” that can be applied without exception, including to the army, which is regularly accused of abusing its powers.
The UN highlighted that the Torture, Custodial Death and Custodial Rape Bill, presented several years ago, has yet to be put to a vote.
Pakistan, which ratified the Convention against Torture in 2010, presented its first report on the situation in the country this year – four years late.
In its findings, the UN referred to the torture of several Pakistani bloggers who had criticised extremism and the authorities, leading to weeks in arbitrary detention.
The committee said Pakistan had failed to launch an investigation into any of these cases, or into the numbers disappeared or killed in detention.
The National Commission of Human Rights, an organisation linked to Pakistan’s parliament, welcomed the report, saying “the publication could help start a conversation about torture” in the country.
A “total” ban on torture is an “unequivocal prerequisite to effectively fight terrorism”, it added.

Yes I am against bad Arabs like Umayyads
Umayyads were a clan of Quraysh tribe and Muhammad SAW also belonged to Quraysh.
I got it. You hate them just cause Persians were ruled by them. :P

I am against the Arab pharaohs like Gamal abdel Nasser and Saddam. Both of them were tyrants and I hate them both
Yes, because:
*Nasser took down the then Egyptian government- Shah Iran was married to a sister of the King of Egypt.
*Saddam, cause Iran was on war with Iraq for 8 years.

As for Ahmadis, if they believe in Allah and Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم who am I to say they are non-Muslims?
Got it. Some people just dont learn.

As for Bani Umayyah, I hate them because of their oppression and their anti-Islamic rule. Are you saying that you like Yazid b. Mu'awiyah under whose rule the Prophet's grandson (peace be upon him) was viciously martyred along with his innocent family and friends?
Did I say that?:o:

Okay! were Saddam and Nasser amd present arab rulers are Yazidis?

Yes they were. Yazidi = someone who follows the oppressive way of Yazid.

Both were tyrannical dictators. They were like Tawagheet. They were Zalimeen this is why I call them Yazeedi because they followed in the footsteps of Yazeed Mal'oon
LOL! Then everyone is Yazeed except you.:enjoy:
I quit this useless debate.

Doesn't the USA torture all around the world..??
. the only people pakistan should torture are the Indian terrorists and spies... it OK by international law to do so to enemy combatants

I swear this Zulfiqar guy is some extremist, wants to turn Pakistan into another Saudi or Iran. Not happening.

Moving on swiftly regarding United Nations 'concern' perhaps they should be more concerned and condemn the amount of American cops kill on sight without any authority and don't even get me started on 'black killings' this whole #BlackLivesMatter was done for a reason. Further to that the same UN awarded Saudi for 'Women's Rights Champions' LOL.

*Coughs* enough said.

Yes they were. Yazidi = someone who follows the oppressive way of Yazid.

Both were tyrannical dictators. They were like Tawagheet. They were Zalimeen this is why I call them Yazeedi because they followed in the footsteps of Yazeed Mal'oon
zakir saab :wave:

Back
Top Bottom