Why Karachi’s Burns Road will always be the pioneer food street of Pakistan

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Why Karachi’s Burns Road will always be the pioneer food street of Pakistan

67158-burnsroadcovjpg-1527072527-162-640x480.jpg

Despite everything, Burns Road still maintains its stature as the pioneer food street of the country.

Ramazan cannot be complete in our household without the presence of iftaari from Burns Road, Karachi. This Ramazan, as I went to Burns Road on the first day of fasting to buy items for iftaar, I was once again reminded of the strong sense of nostalgia that comes alongside the aroma of the food at this street. While in the other markets of the city the process of buying iftaar can start at around 4pm, here customers will start pouring in at around 2:30pm.

There is no doubt Burns Road is the original food street of Karachi. It was not set up purposefully by any government, rather it evolved naturally. People who migrated to Pakistan from India were settled in large numbers near this street, Pakistan Chowk, and other adjoining areas. It is believed some families who probably had food businesses in India before Partition are responsible for launching the foundation of Burns Road as the hub of food in Karachi.

The street derived its name from British doctor James Burns, and although its name was changed to ‘Muhammad bin Qasim Road’ after Partition, people generally remain unaware of this change and the road continues to enjoy its fame with its old name.

br1-1527069561.jpg

Photo: Getty

My first interaction with this street took place alongside my father and uncles, as it was a family tradition to go there early in the morning to buy nihari for breakfast. In the good old days, nihari used to be consumed for breakfast with naan or homemade parathas in Karachi as well. I still remember my college days, when I could eat a plate of nihari with two nans from Malik Nihari House for the meagre amount of Rs20, or could eat halwa puri for Rs5.

Today, reasonably good nihari is available at every nook and corner of the city, a dish that once used to be a specialty of Burns Road, with people congregating in large numbers to Malik Nihari House, Waheed Restaurant or Sabri Nihari to buy the food item. Although Sabri Nihari is located a bit away from the main area, it deserves an honourable mention for being the main nihari place of yesteryear, located at the corner of the Jamia Cloth Market.

malik-1527071880.jpg

new-picture-1527070139.bmp

Rabri is another specialty of the street. Today, a huge shop named Delhi Rabri House is located at the heart of Burns Road, but the old people of Karachi know the foundation of this establishment was laid on a push cart. Starting off in the mid-50s, a cart was parked at the corner lane that houses the Waheed Kabab House for decades, and sold rabri throughout the year, along with gajar ka halwa during the winters.

Another personal favourite is the renowned Waheed Kabab House, the oldest and most famous barbeque place, serving the dhagey waley kebabs that were to die for. I remember my father bringing them home and helping my mother fry them in butter; a simple treat that created happy memories of my childhood.

kebabd-1527071830.jpg

Matkey waley dahi barey is also a specialty of Burns Road. A big red matka (clay pot) is fixed outside the shop, and the shopkeeper has been selling this special item here for decades.

br2-1527069565.jpg

A discussion of the past is incomplete without mentioning Fresco Sweets, a shop popular for its dahi phulki and samosas. And of course, during the holy month of Ramazan, their speciality is Khajla and Pheni, while on Eid, people flock to get some of their famous Kachoris. The uniqueness of Fresco is that even today, they use real ghee when preparing their food.

br3-1527069566.jpg

br-4-1527069556.jpg

Burns Road was developed in an era when the concept of eating outside with families was minimal, which is why to this day, shops don’t have a decent sitting area for families, and the concept of takeaway is more common. In the good old days, when plastic shopping bags were not common, customers would bring their own pots to carry food in.

So much water has gone under the bridge, and Karachi has transformed over the years, for better or for worse. However, despite it all, Burns Road still maintains its stature as the pioneer food street of the country. Its uniqueness can be highlighted by the fact that no big food chains have been able to make any inroads into the area, despite the large crowds the street manages to attract on a daily basis.

Today, the public has the convenient option of restaurants that deliver, but what they cannot deliver is the essence of Karachi one can only find in the food at Burns Road. True food lovers prefer to step out of their houses and work places to especially visit this street and eat food that feels like home. Despite everything that has changed, Burns Road remains the identity of Karachi, and in my view, will remain so for many decades to come.

7 AUTHENTIC BURNS ROAD CLASSICS YOU NEED TO EAT FOR A FLAVORGASMIC EXPERIENCE!

You might have heard the term ‘food to die for’, but have you ever come across a host of different places that equally deserve portions of your soon-to-leave soul? Well, if you haven’t, you surely have not visited Burns Road in Karachi yet.

The hub of quality food in affordable prices, Burns Road has for decades, been the heart of Pakistan’s metropolitan city when it comes to delicious and aromatic food. You probably would not find hip burger-joints or pizza franchises there, but what you will get is class A quality desi food items, which are unparalleled in taste throughout Pakistan.

Here’s a list of the finest places to dine at Burns Road, Karachi — take our word for it!

1. FRESCO bakery’s Dahi Barray

Hands down, the best dahi barray in Karachi. The place is buzzing after daytime, especially when it’s Ramadan.

2. Cafe Lazeez’s Makhan-Kattakat

The restaurant owner stands and helps you select all the items you want in your katakat, showcasing how fresh they are.

3. Agha Sajji’s Sajji and Karahi

If you’re a Karachiite and still haven’t been to Agha Sajji, you’re missing out on something huge. The authentic taste with their special masalas is worth dying for.

4. Delhi Rabri House’s Original and Pista Rabri

Everyone’s got a sweet-tooth, and when you put Delhi’s rabri in your mouth, it literally melts there. No dinner on Burns road is complete without this classic in the end.

5. Mazedar Haleem’s Haleem-Nan combination

Some like to eat their Haleem with a spoon, but only the veterans know how powerful Nan-Haleem together is. Mazedar’s Haleem gets orders from all over the country, no joke.

6. Food Center’s Masalaydar Biryani

Biryani challenge? Accepted. Food Center’s chicken and beef biryani is everything you wish for in a plate full of rice. The spices are extreme, yet balanced superbly.

7. Azaad Bun Kabab’s Famous Open-Burger Bun Kabab!

An open bun kabab or one that is closed, nobody can beat Azaad’s famous burgers. At lunch time, there is hardly any room for people to stand.

So.. if you’re in Karachi and plan on having a flavorgasmic experience, you know where to go – it’s Shahra-e-Liaquat, Burns Road, Karachi. The metropolitan city is full of good food and food-a-holics, keep reading and following Parhlo Food for similar posts and other such places in Karachi.

BeFunky-Collage-1024x511.jpg

images

cafe lazeezs karahi karahi katakut and that bun kabab arw divine! it used to be really cheap i remeber me and two friends going to burns road and eating bun kababs meetha for 300 rs only woh bhi tagra ho keh and after that a kid washed xar windows and i joked 320 may dinner desert aur car wash hogaya! that was during mushy era!

maxresdefault.jpg

Burns Road Karachi Pakistan | Fish Fry

cvr_4167_29673.jpg

Let's go to "Buns" Road!

Nadir Siddiqui

A heavy flow of large busses, taxis, and rickshaws whiz by the hustle bustle on the sidewalks. They add to the strong mix of smells, sounds, and lights - which many would say is all part of the rich Burns Road experience!

118.jpg

A chef prepares "kat-a-kat" a dish that combines mutton or lamb meat with kidney, heart, and other unusual delicacies. The ingredients are cooked on a "tawa" - a kind of flat wok. As they slowly sizzle the chef uses his knives to rapidly chop them into fine pieces, making the unique "kat-a-kat!" sound which gives the dish its name.

213.jpg

A fried-fish stand sells raw and cooked fish. The fish is marinated in spicy "masala" and then batter-fried to make a delicious and easy meal.

39.jpg

Fish fingers await hungry buyers while the vendor shows off the raw fish to a curious shopper.

413.jpg

Whole fish lie in the marinade, soaking up the spicy masala before being fried in a large deep-pan.

510.jpg

Chicken "Sajji" is made with whole chickens and barbecued on an open fire.

610.jpg

A nearly done Chicken "Sajji" recieves a final glaze over the fire before being served. The chicken is usually eaten with Naan-bread and raita (mint yogurt dip) or even rice.

75.jpg

"Sajji" is originally a Balochi dish of barbecued whole-lamb stuffed with rice. Karachiites prefer to use chicken and add lots of spice!

810.jpg

Burns Road is best known for its variety of foods,

105.jpg

Dehli Rabri House has been serving the "Famous Burns Road Rabri" since 1964. Rabri is a very sweet dessert made from condensed milk cream and butter.

119.jpg

Tied clay bowls of "Firni" are piled in a basket for sale. Firni or "Kheer" is a kind of rice-pudding that is eaten cool and tastes mild and sweet, a perfect light dessert after a heavy Burns Road meal.

124.jpg

A vendor takes out a spoonful of "Dahi Baray" from a giant serving-pot. This sweet or salty dessert is made with dumplings in yogurt, and sprinkled with a little masala to spice things up.

134.jpg

A heavy meal in Karachi is often followed by a trip to the "Paan Shop". Paan is said to help digestion and freshen breath. Here the owner of 'Noora Paan Shop' jokes with his regulars as he makes them their favorite paans.

143.jpg

A paan can contain many varying ingredients with tastes ranging from sweet to bitter, all wrapped in a fragrant betel leaf and served to be eaten in one bite. Common paan ingredients include areca nuts, lime paste, and tobacco.

154.jpg

A heavy flow of large busses, taxis, and rickshaws whiz by the hustle bustle on the sidewalks. They add to the strong mix of smells, sounds, and lights - which many would say is all part of the rich Burns Road experience!

Situated in the bustling heart of Karachi's Saddar area, Burns Road offers a huge variety of local food and drinks. With many famous and unique restaurants that feature their own specialty dishes, the road is a must-see for curious eaters and food-lovers. Snacks, meals, desserts and drinks are all available. Many places on the street are open during the day but like Karachi itself, Burns Road truly comes alive at night.

Often pronounced "Buns" road locally, the street also offers some other interesting sights and services apart from the authentic and traditional food. Taking a walk down it and sampling the cuisine is a fun and essential way to get a taste of Karachi. - Photography & text by Nadir Siddiqui

Who can resist their bun kebabs for Rs30?

5d219d8ca7a3a.jpg

“This is the best chaat in the world!” says a customer digging into his plate with his spoon.

“It is the cheapest, best tasting chaat in the world!” He is corrected by another customer enjoying spoonfuls while still on his motorcycle.

5d219e877759c.jpg

On being asked, the sellers of the snack say that a plate costs Rs40 each ... “But the crowd present there is also growing because they want to buy a plate or two before we go away,” says the tall fellow in the middle who is wearing a dark green apron with the Starbucks logo in the middle. “We come here for three hours only, from 3pm to 6pm,” he explains.

“What to do? We are all sold out in three hours anyway,” he smiles. There is no name on the cart. “We don’t have any name. We are just known as Iqbal Chholay Wala, our father’s name,” he adds.

5d219e28355f5.jpg

Another cart nearby is selling pakoras and samosas along with French fries. One customer there buys a potato samosa to break it up into pieces before asking the chaat seller on the other side to pour his chaat and chutney over it. “I had heard of someone combining the two to make chaat like that here but I couldn’t find them. So I decided to innovate myself,” he smiles.

“It is so hot and humid these days. One just doesn’t feel like downing heavy meals at lunch or dinner time so we look for tasty snacks that would satisfy the hunger and not make us feel heavy,” says another customer still undecided between bun kebab and kachori across the road.

5d219f55a03de.jpg

The bun kebab is for Rs30 each. And it is the real thing and not a confused thing made to look like a burger with coleslaw and ketchup. The squarish little bun has a kebab in the centre made of beef and lentils. And instead of cabbage there are onions and tomato and chutney, no mayonnaise.

The kachori is Rs 10 each with free aloo tarkari (potato curry) and pickles. “We are here from 11am till 9.30pm every day but the rush we experience only after 5.30pm, which is also tea time for many Karachiites,” says the kachori seller.

5d219df38c4bb.jpg

Gol gappay, as round and as crisp as they come.

There is also young Faisal at his Classic Golgappa stall wondering why he isn’t getting many customers. Perhaps asking Rs 60 for a plate makes him the most expensive one among the lot. “But my paani phulki plate comprises eight gol gappay and a bowl of bittersweet water to fill them with before bursting them in your mouth to experience an explosion of flavours,” he says. Just his description makes you order a plate.

5d219e4b2d24f.jpg

Here you see waiters willing to serve you in your air-conditioned car. There is a proper menu to choose from and the snacks are also served in disposable plates with disposable cutlery and tissues. So a plate of dahi baray or chaat at Rs 75 is fine too. The samosas too are served very hot. But that’s where the car air-conditioning also comes in handy. Just hold it up against the air ducts on the dashboard before taking a bite.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom