What's new

Why is India allowing so many US MNCs? Why Can't India learn from China?

Margarita

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Let's be honest here. These MNCs pay Indians peanuts and make them work like slaves. I am an HR professional with one of these IT MNCs and to be fair, the top management of India has no power at all. The IT employees in these MNCs are paid so less compared to their US counterpart and very minimal benefits. On top of that they are made to work at odd hours. I see 100s of thousands of Indian graduates working for these US companies and contributing to their economy while at the same time getting peanuts in return.

Why can't we learn from China and start promoting domestic companies over these US companies? Indian companies (along with European and Japanese) pay much better than these US MNCs, and provide much better facilities, and working hours. The biggest advantage of these Indian companies is that they can make/amend/change the company policies anytime without having to wait for approval from the big bosses sitting in US who have no idea of the ground realities in India.

Before you guys start trolling and abusing me, this is not about me. I am paid decent since I have done MBA but I interact with the IT professional from my company, who by the way are close to a lakh in number, and they seem so frustrated. 99 percent of them are eagerly waiting for an onsite assignment in a foreign country and are treated no less than factory labors.

India has given control to the bosses in the US who have no concern for the labors in India as they are busy minting money of the cheap labors we provide.

It is not too late to learn from China but the only worry is these US MNCs now employee lakhs of Indians and hence India is too dependent on them to ignore or take action.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here. These MNCs pay Indians peanuts and make them work like slaves. I am an HR professional with one of these IT MNCs and to be fair, the top management of India has no power at all. The IT employees in these MNCs are paid so less compared to their US counterpart and very minimal benefits. On top of that they are made to work at odd hours. I see 100s of thousands of Indian graduates working for these US companies and contributing to their economy while at the same time getting peanuts in return.

Why can't we learn from China and start promoting domestic companies over these US companies? Indian companies (along with European and Japanese) pay much better than these US MNCs, and provide much better facilities, and working hours. The biggest advantage of these Indian companies is that they can make/amend/change the company policies anytime without having to wait for approval from the big bosses sitting in US who have no idea of the ground realities in India.

Before you guys start trolling and abusing me, this is not about me. I am paid decent since I have done MBA but I interact with the IT professional from my company, who by the way are close to a lakh in number, and they seem so frustrated. 99 percent of them are eagerly waiting for an onsite assignment in a foreign country and are treated no less than factory labors.

India has given control to the bosses in the US who have no concern for the labors in India as they are busy minting money of the cheap labors we provide.

It is not too late to learn from China but the only worry is these US MNCs now employee lakhs of Indians and hence India is too dependent on them to ignore or take action.

Most of these people are working in the outsourcing industry, which is meant to be cheap.

Since you are in HR, you may already know that the US companies are following all the required labour laws in India. These people are paid according to the market in India, not the US.

China is worse off, their MNC workers work in sweatshops in deplorable conditions, and the companies follow questionable labour laws.

Indian MNCs are also similar to these sweatshops, except they work in glitzy buildings and can afford to provide a higher cost of living. Call them white collar sweatshops vs China's blue collar sweatshops.

China did a lot of sweatshop work to get to where they are now. We will have to muddle through the same if we are to catch up.

There was a time when the rich countries have also had sweatshops and slave labour to get to where they are today.

You should resign if you have moral qualms about working for such a company. Not that they are any worse than outsourcing shops like TCS, InfoSys, and WiPro.

You should resign if you have moral qualms about working for such a company. Not that they are any worse than outsourcing shops like TCS, InfoSys, and WiPro.
I am on it. Actively looking for an Indian company where the Indian management has power to influence policies. But as I mentioned in the OP kindly refrain from personal attacks. If you don't have argument better not to reply.

they were looking cheap workers and they got it sir . no one force to work these guys they joined by their own will .

As and when India's purchasing power threshold crosses that of US, these companies would rather be called Indian than the other way around. Its the beauty of globalisation. More money more power.

Most of these people are working in the outsourcing industry, which is meant to be cheap.

Since you are in HR, you may already know that the US companies are following all the required labour laws in India. These people are paid according to the market in India, not the US.

China is worse off, their MNC workers work in sweatshops in deplorable conditions, and the companies follow questionable labour laws.

Indian MNCs are also similar to these sweatshops, except they work in glitzy buildings and can afford to provide a higher cost of living. Call them white collar sweatshops vs China's blue collar sweatshops.

China did a lot of sweatshop work to get to where they are now. We will have to muddle through the same if we are to catch up.

There was a time when the rich countries have also had sweatshops and slave labour to get to where they are today.
Thanks for the reply.

These US companies I believe work similar to zamindari system. They have given minimal freedom to Indian management and in most of the cases they are puppet to the bosses in the US. Those sittings in the US have no idea of ground realities in India and most of their policies are made keeping US in mind and to ensure uniformity of culture, these policies are trickled down to India.

For example, A major US company provides medical insurance to its employees and its family. For an Indian graduate, his family would consists of his mom, dad, and sibling, but the definition of Family in the US context is spouse and kids and no regards to parents whatsoever. Can Indian management do anything about it despite knowing that the family system in India is very different from the US? No. As I told they are just puppets.

Like China we should reduce the presence of these US companies and promote Indian companies who understand India better.

they were looking cheap workers and they got it sir . no one force to work these guys they joined by their own will .

I have no problem with joining these modern east India company but the issue is why can't they Pass over the management of Indian affairs to Indian top management who understand ground realities better? Employees of the company abuse top management whenever something goes wrong but these poor top management is itself helpless as it has no power at all. Even for construction of a building they require 100s of approval from US masters. Pathetic!

As and when India's purchasing power threshold crosses that of US, these companies would rather be called Indian than the other way around. Its the beauty of globalisation. More money more power.
I like how China has been snubbing these US companies and promoting their own industries. In the long run these US companies will only care about their own country and their own interest. They are very unlike even the European or Japanese companies who believe in giving full freedom to their Indian management in dealing with Indian affairs. But, sad thing is Indian worship everything US even if it means becoming its slave.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

These US companies I believe works similar to zamindari system. They have given minimal freedom to Indian management and in most of the cases they are puppet to the bosses in the US. Those sittings in the US have no idea of ground realities in India and most of their policies are made keeping US in mind and to ensure uniformity of culture, these policies are trickled down to India.

For example, A major US company provides medical insurance to its employees and its family. For an Indian graduate, his family would consists of his mom, dad, and sibling, but the definition of Family in the US context is spouse and kids and no regards to parents whatsoever. Can Indian management do anything about it despite knowing that the family system in India is very different from the US? No. As I told they are just puppets.

A lot of companies have started relying on Indian insurance companies to provide medical insurance.

The management in your company sucks, simple as that.

Like China we should reduce the presence of these US companies and promote Indian companies who understand India better.

That won't solve anything. The market is in the US for India. Chinese companies have become visible now because their economy has grown in size. Even we have the companies the Chinese do.

I have no problem with joining these modern east India company but the issue is why can't they Pass over the management of Indian affairs to Indian top management who understand ground realities better? Employees of the company abuse top management whenever something goes wrong but these poor top management is itself helpless as it has no power at all. Even for construction of a building they require 100s of approval from US masters. Pathetic!

As mentioned above, your management sucks. In a lot of other companies, the management make such decisions by themselves.

At times like these, you have to protest about the mismanagement, write to the management in the US, point out the flaws. I'm sure you can easily get the email addresses of your US management executives.

The problem is your Indian management wouldn't have talked to the US management about the problems they are facing. It is easier for the Indian management to not do anything for the employees by saying they have their hands tied. So most of the times the US management is clueless. We did that in my company, but it was all local. We sent out a mail using a public gmail address complaining about our middle management which was useless to our upper management, problems got solved in less than a week. Whistleblow the crap out of your Indian management, point out that they are useless, the US management will take action.

My aunt is among the top executives of a US MNC in the US. She says the same thing, that the Indian management is afraid of her. So most of the times, the Indian management simply won't tell anything to the US management.

I am on it. Actively looking for an Indian company where the Indian management has power to influence policies. But as I mentioned in the OP kindly refrain from personal attacks. If you don't have argument better not to reply.
But then you dont want to work in lala compney.

You know how their system works. And for hr you dont have much to do.

Mnc have code of conduct. Desi compney dont. Its better to work in mnc.

But then you dont want to work in lala compney.

You know how their system works. And for hr you dont have much to do.

Mnc have code of conduct. Desi compney dont. Its better to work in mnc.
Your second statement diminishes the credibility of your other two statements. You know nothing about HR.

A lot of companies have started relying on Indian insurance companies to provide medical insurance.

The management in your company sucks, simple as that.

That won't solve anything. The market is in the US for India. Chinese companies have become visible now because their economy has grown in size. Even we have the companies the Chinese do.

As mentioned above, your management sucks. In a lot of other companies, the management make such decisions by themselves.

At times like these, you have to protest about the mismanagement, write to the management in the US, point out the flaws. I'm sure you can easily get the email addresses of your US management executives.

The problem is your Indian management wouldn't have talked to the US management about the problems they are facing. It is easier for the Indian management to not do anything for the employees by saying they have their hands tied. So most of the times the US management is clueless. We did that in my company, but it was all local. We sent out a mail using a public gmail address complaining about our middle management which was useless to our upper management, problems got solved in less than a week. Whistleblow the crap out of your Indian management, point out that they are useless, the US management will take action.

My aunt is among the top executives of a US MNC in the US. She says the same thing, that the Indian management is afraid of her. So most of the times, the Indian management simply won't tell anything to the US management.

Thanks! I agree with many of the points and have argument against some which I will post later

Your second statement diminishes the credibility of your other two statements. You know nothing about HR.

Thanks! I agree with many of the points and have argument against some which I will post later
Yes you are right. I joined out of curiosity here.

But i heard from my family member who is a senior hr employee in a mnc.

How they suffer compare to other counter parts overseas. But when compare to lala compney its much better. Since they have a better system at work.

Infect recently some of the emploeye quitted because compney was selling its share to local. Nobody wanted to work with him even with higher reimbursement.

Yes you are right. I joined out of curiosity here.

But i heard from my family member who is a senior hr employee in a mnc.

How they suffer compare to other counter parts overseas. But when compare to lala compney its much better. Since they have a better system at work.

Infect recently some of the emploeye quitted because compney was selling its share to local. Nobody wanted to work with him even with higher reimbursement.
Which lala companies you are talking about? Some of the favorite companies in Indian B schools are these Indian companies such as HUL, ITC, Godrej, Mahindra, TASS, Reliance, RPG, HDFC Bank and I can name at least 50 more companies like these who have much much better working environment than these slave factories. They even pay extremely well. Even Ola is much more preferred in campuses these days than so called MNCs. These MNCs became popular among those middle class people in 90s and early 20s who wanted job security and are ready to take orders without any question but Indian the new generation of Indian has different priorities and these MNCs are not equipped to accommodate these while surprisingly Indian companies are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom