What's new

Why India’s Nuclear Triad Is Such a Dangerous Weapon

Zapper

Reaction score
Country
India
No-First-Use

“An NFU policy essentially constitutes a promise, backed by a survivable nuclear arsenal, to only use nuclear weapons in response to a nuclear attack,” explained a Carnegie publication. “The logic is simple and effective: you don’t nuke me, and I won’t nuke you. India and China both have declared no-first-use policies, whereas Pakistan and the United States, among others, do not rule out the first use of nuclear weapons in a conflict.”
A464%20%281%29.jpg

Despite India’s formidable nuclear arsenal, India had since 2003 maintained it will not use said weapons of mass destruction first, but strictly in a retaliatory manner for deterrence.

However, 2019, India called their no first use policy into question when Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said that “Till today, our nuclear policy is ‘no first use’. What happens in future depends on the circumstances.” This curious statement is perhaps an example of deliberate strategic ambiguity.

SPONSORED CONTENT

Triad

India maintains a nuclear triad—that is a three-pronged nuclear weapon delivery system that utilizes a diverse array of means for delivering nuclear payload on target. New Delhi has air-launched nuclear missiles, land-based nuclear missiles, and most recently submarine-launched missiles.

SECONDS
Do You Know What Happened Today In History?
Apr

Yankee Stadium, "The House that Ruth Built", opens.

The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.

Air

Air delivery was India’s original nuclear delivery prong. Although speculative, it is believed that Indian SEPECAT Jaguars and Dassault Mirage 2000s are the primary (perhaps only) vehicles capable of delivering nuclear bombs from the air. It is also possible that Indian nuclear bombs are non-precision munitions that rely on impact to detonate.

Land

From land, India has a formidable missile launch capability intended to deter both China and Pakistan—though China especially rarely acknowledges India’s nuclear missile capability.

In order to maintain a credible threat against China, India has pursued a strategy of improving their nuclear inter-continental ballistic missiles. This has been often done in tandem with Russia, despite the latter’s partnership with China in other defense-related areas.

The Agni missile family forms the backbone of the land-based nuclear triad. Although the Agni-V is still in development, once deployed they would comfortably be able to strike Beijing, though the Agni-II, Agni-III and Agni-IV are very likely already capable of doing so.

The jointly Russian-Indian developed BrahMos hypersonic missile may also potentially be able to carry nuclear payload in the future, although this remains unconcrete and speculative.

Sea

What India’s sea-based nuclear prong looks like is somewhat speculative as well, although the range of submarine-based missiles will likely be limited to below-1,000 kilometers, or approximately 620 miles.

Armed and Dangerous

Over all, India’s nuclear triad is a mix of capabilities—free-falling bombs, long-range and quite sophisticated missiles, and sub-launched missiles of unclear capabilities. Still, India is one of the preeminent nuclear powers in the region, behind China.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-india’s-nuclear-triad-such-dangerous-weapon-142272

Caleb Larson is a Defense Writer with The National Interest. He holds a Master of Public Policy and covers U.S. and Russian security, European defense issues, and German politics and culture.

I doubt India has achieved a full nuclear triad. There is a lot more work to be done to catch up with China and Other major powers. Our sea based capabilities are still not operational.

I doubt India (or that matter Pakistan) needs a fully operational nuclear triad

Sub-launched nukes are operational, but not in significant numbers. It'll be a few more years before K-4 and K-15 are fully inducted across all capable subs

https://www.newindianexpress.com/specials/2018/aug/19/nuke-capable-submarine-launched-missile-operationalised-india-in-select-triad-club-1859992.html

People just can't understand the complexity of the war system.
Firstly, K-15 is a simply not capable to be considered as a reliable nuclear weapon due to its range which is only useful against Pakistan. K-4 is still years to being mature.
Secondly, Many people just think the way nuclear submarine (esp SSBN) will fight the same way as conventional submarine. But they are not. A sea based nuclear war system includes not only sub-marine and a few missile, but command, communication, target evaluation, scouting, logistic, etc etc. It takes decades to build all these. For now, India just starts, even much slower than 1980s China.

People just can't understand the complexity of the war system.
Firstly, K-15 is a simply not capable to be considered as a reliable nuclear weapon due to its range which is only useful against Pakistan. K-4 is still years to being mature.
Secondly, Many people just think the way nuclear submarine (esp SSBN) will fight the same way as conventional submarine. But they are not. A sea based nuclear war system includes not only sub-marine and a few missile, but command, communication, target evaluation, scouting, logistic, etc etc. It takes decades to build all these. For now, India just starts, even much slower than 1980s China.
My response was in regards to the payload delivery systems from subs that IN currently has. Ofcourse, any sane person knows there's a lot more to just missiles & subs and how'd you assume IN doesn't have all that in place or actively working?

Also, K-15 is specifically designed for pak while K-4 and the much longer range K-5 & K-6 are for China. We've been at loggerheads with pak all along and our forces constantly focus on all the support mechanisms required. If you assume our progress is much slower than 1980s' China, then good for you and there's nothing for you to worry about since y'all think you'd smoke us anyway...looks like that's what CCP feeds you

My response was in regards to the payload delivery systems from subs that IN currently has. Ofcourse, any sane person knows there's a lot more to just missiles & subs and how'd you assume IN doesn't have all that in place or actively working?

Because these systems won't be built until you got a nuclear submarine fleet to operate unless you got too much money on your hand.

And you won't built these systems until you actually got a fleet of nuclear submarines of your own because these systems need to match the tech parameters of your submarine and missiles, etc.

Also, K-15 is specifically designed for pak while K-4 and the much longer range K-5 & K-6 are for China. We've been at loggerheads with pak all along and our forces constantly focus on all the support mechanisms required. If you assume our progress is much slower than 1980s' China, then good for you and there's nothing for you to worry about since y'all think you'd smoke us anyway...looks like that's what CCP feeds you

See, that is typical Indian fanboy. The K-4 is still in the testing, you guys already starts to dream about K-6.
Unlike you, I don't dream. I don't talk about fantasy. I only check what is being done. All I can see is: India is working on a missile similar to JL-1A which entered in service in late 1980s.

K-5 and K-6? Let's talk about them when you have them.

Because these systems won't be built until you got a nuclear submarine fleet to operate unless you got too much money on your hand.

And you won't built these systems until you actually got a fleet of nuclear submarines of your own because these systems need to match the tech parameters of your submarine and missiles, etc.

See, that is typical Indian fanboy. The K-4 is still in the testing, you guys already starts to dream about K-6.
Unlike you, I don't dream. I don't talk about fantasy. I only check what is being done. All I can see is: India is working on a missile similar to JL-1A which entered in service in late 1980s.

K-5 and K-6? Let's talk about them when you have them.

Arihant is a prototype a training vessel... but it is doing patrols will both K-15 and k-4, K-4 is in deployment it has completed around 10 testings generally after 3 tests the missile is deployed so many of these tests were to test SSBM, it won’t take much time to build k-5/6 as India has vast experience in ballistic missiles.
N
But surely deployment might take few years , India’s second ssbm is already launched and is much bigger than Arihant , 3rd one is in production and will form the standard of 3 coming SSBM, regarding systems Indian Navy is working with nuclear submarines for more than 2 decades now, Arihant has almost same sound signatures as Akula which is much lesser than Chinese SSBM as per data from US Navy

Wow, Surprised that India has a full-fledged nuclear Triad.

Not because I didn’t think they were capable, I just didn’t think they were that advanced yet militarily.

Arihant is a prototype a training vessel... but it is doing patrols will both K-15 and k-4, K-4 is in deployment it has completed around 10 testings generally after 3 tests the missile is deployed so many of these tests were to test SSBM,

Really? Even the Jan K-4 test was launched from PONTOON. That tell us what stage the development is.
And deploying a missile after only 3 tests? Oh, boy, you have no idea what you are talking about: Other countries need 10 times test at least.

it won’t take much time to build k-5/6 as India has vast experience in ballistic missiles.

Sure, nothing is difficult to India. Your measurement of time is just different from ours.

But surely deployment might take few years , India’s second ssbm is already launched and is much bigger than Arihant ,

Your newspaper said the 2nd submarine will be commissioned in this year (2020). And it is only slightly bigger and better armed. But basically, the same design.

3rd one is in production and will form the standard of 3 coming SSBM, regarding systems Indian Navy is working with nuclear submarines for more than 2 decades now

Let's be honest, your nuclear submarine is designed based on Russian Akula-1 and constructed under the help of Russia. That is a weaken version of Russian submarine.

Arihant has almost same sound signatures as Akula which is much lesser than Chinese SSBM as per data from US Navy

Really? I would like to see your source.
On the other hand, some US analysts think 093B is as quiet as Akula.

https://www.icsin.org/uploads/2019/11/05/8bf56604ba2e84aef8f30d35edbb937f.pdf

Quote:
"The Type 093B SSN is stealthy, fast and the first Chinese attack submarine to be able to fire vertically launched cruise missiles. The DOD assesses that three Type 093B SSNs were launched in 2015, and commissioned sometime in 2016-17 (DOD 2018: 29). Analysts locate its acoustic levels somewhere between the US Navy’s Los Angeles Flight I and Flight III SSNs."

Really? Even the Jan K-4 test was launched from PONTOON. That tell us what stage the development is.
And deploying a missile after only 3 tests? Oh, boy, you have no idea what you are talking about: Other countries need 10 times test at least.

Sure, nothing is difficult to India. Your measurement of time is just different from ours.

Your newspaper said the 2nd submarine will be commissioned in this year (2020). And it is only slightly bigger and better armed. But basically, the same design.

Let's be honest, your nuclear submarine is designed based on Russian Akula-1 and constructed under the help of Russia. That is a weaken version of Russian submarine.

Really? I would like to see your source.
On the other hand, some US analysts think 093B is as quiet as Akula.

https://www.icsin.org/uploads/2019/11/05/8bf56604ba2e84aef8f30d35edbb937f.pdf

Quote:
"The Type 093B SSN is stealthy, fast and the first Chinese attack submarine to be able to fire vertically launched cruise missiles. The DOD assesses that three Type 093B SSNs were launched in 2015, and commissioned sometime in 2016-17 (DOD 2018: 29). Analysts locate its acoustic levels somewhere between the US Navy’s Los Angeles Flight I and Flight III SSNs."

India does 3 tests if all r successful the missile is pushed to production to be deployed.
K-4 is a SLBM so India does not need to inform its tests as per the agreement with India and Pak so
K-4 missiles tests are rarely made public, its well known in DRDO the number of tests are done from both Arihant and From DRDO pontoons u will never find test videos done from Arihant,

Arihant can only carry 4 K-4
Ardhiman can carry 8 K-4
And 3rd one will carry 12 K-4

And its a pretty big irony a copy cat like china who basically copied everything under Sun from Russia tells Somebody else lol.

Yes India and Russia has close collaboration in SSBM, but u can rest assured the weaken version of russian SSBM r with chinese lol.

For a nuclear submarine part of the triad at least four are needed so one is on sea all the time while others are on refit or otherwise not in patrol mode.

India does 3 tests if all r successful the missile is pushed to production to be deployed.
K-4 is a SLBM so India does not need to inform its tests as per the agreement with India and Pak so
K-4 missiles tests are rarely made public, its well known in DRDO the number of tests are done from both Arihant and From DRDO pontoons u will never find test videos done from Arihant,

Arihant can only carry 4 K-4
Ardhiman can carry 8 K-4
And 3rd one will carry 12 K-4

Just realize that I am talking to a fanboy. You can continue your imagination.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom