What's new

Why India needs NASAMS when it is getting S-400? : Dmitry Shugaev

The new interceptors need testing nevertheless, which I can bet won't take less than 4 years before production can begin.

That's DRDO's target though.

No, PDV (PAD's replacement) has 2 solid-fuel stages. I think you're confusing it with PAD. PAD's first stage was Prithvi's liquid-fueled motor, that's why it couldn't be used operationally (can't store corrosive fuel on standby).

Prithvi III, PAD and PDV are two stage missiles.

PAD and PDV use Prithvi III's first stage, which is solid fueled. PAD uses Prithvi III's liquid fueled second stage while PDV uses a new solid fueled stage.

Prithvi I and II are single stage liquid fueled missiles.

It is not just American but a joint US-Norwegian missile system.

Point is, till AAD and PAD get active, we need some air cover over strategic cities. NASAM is that.

Though the sudden purchase is surprising for us as well.

You haven't followed the discussion. AAD/PDV are BMD, where the smallest missile weighs over 1 ton. NASAMS is meant for air defence, and the largest missile is currently the AMRAAM.

You haven't followed the discussion. AAD/PDV are BMD, where the smallest missile weighs over 1 ton. NASAMS is meant for air defence, and the largest missile is currently the AMRAAM.

Thanks for the details.

What I meant is that we really need to start looking at 'derivative' projects for our air and missile defence out of our existing missile platforms. Absolutely foolish to keep buying like this on adhoc basis.

Back
Top Bottom