What's new

WHY HAS INDIA LAGGED BEHIND IN SEMICONDUCTOR CHIP MANUFACTURING?

Commenting on India's contribution in the global semiconductor industry, Gupta says, "any chip getting done in the world will have some contribution from Indian semiconductor ecosystem. More than 90 per cent of semiconductor companies have their R&D Centres in India where cutting-edge chip development work takes place. The semiconductor R&D alone produces almost $2.5 billion in revenue and $20 billion including the Electronics Products and Embedded system. The total employment generated is approximately 6 lakhs in India."
https://www.businesstoday.in/latest...nterest-rises-industry-body-271653-2020-08-31

I have already said this elsewhere on the forum. There is currently no Indian company or organization which designs microprocessors. Mr. Gupta is exaggerating. Name one Indian processor ISA.

Last edited:
companies have few offices in India does not mean Indians do the chip design

such bullshit boasting, R&D center or call center :rofl:

I agree it is factless boasting but to be fair to India it's not like China does microprocessor design either.

What happened to fastest supercomputer claim by 2020?

India will lag continuously due to politics and brightest will emigrate abroad. Look at the politicians, not one could be classed as an intellectual or even trustworthy.

Look at the politicians, not one could be classed as an intellectual or even trustworthy.

There are the Communists and the Aam Aadmi Party people and some spokespersons of the Congress.

I agree it is factless boasting but to be fair to India it's not like China does microprocessor design either.

quite many Chinese companies design their own chip, like huawei own kirin chip

quite many Chinese companies design their own chip, like huawei own kirin chip

The Kirin series is based on ARM base architecture / ISA and is only implemented by Huawei.

Even the much hyped new LoongArch is nothing but the American MIPS64 ISA plus extensions to execute ARM and x86 instructions.

The Kirin series is based on ARM base architecture / ISA and is only implemented by Huawei.

Even the much hyped new LoongArch is nothing but the American MIPS64 ISA plus extensions to execute ARM and x86 instructions.

Arm is mobile standard, so? you want re-invent the wheel and do everything from scratch?

now, which Indian firms design their own chips?

you want re-invent the wheel and do everything from scratch?

That is an excuse. What have those Chinese PhDs and engineers been doing ? They didn't even want to engage in the intellectual exercise of designing a new processor ?

now, which Indian firms design their own chips?

I agree that currently there is none.

That is an excuse. What have those Chinese PhDs and engineers been doing ? They didn't even want to engage in the intellectual exercise of designing a new processor ?

I agree that currently there is none.

"Chinese" phd? such amateur, do you have even slightest semi conductor knowledge? don't blame you, typical Indians likes to talk but not the walk

Find me one example people not using well established ARM/MIPS, but try to re-invent the wheel

give you a hint, all Apple's chip like M1 are based on ARM, their PhD lazy too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom