What's new

Why do the Turkish and the Germans refer to their country as Fatherland??

nForce

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
I am just curious..Almost all the people call their land as Motherland.Mother Russia,Mother India and so on...Mother symbolizes as somebody caring and loving.I guess thats the reason behind calling a country to be Motherland.

Whats the reason behind calling a country as Fatherland??

Historically it most likely simly refers to the piece of land owned by your father.

But the word Motherland us used aswell.

Since Germania is female.
F_A_von_Kaulbach_Germania_1914.jpg

Afghans also refer to Afghanistan as their fatherland, de baba watan.....

father is not loving or caring???, what sort of father do you have :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I did not say Father is not loving or caring.I said what the word 'mother' normally symbolizes.You werent hit on the head while you were young,do you?

only we indian use motherland....bharat mata.....once a Pakstani asked my indian friend if bharat is your mata i.e mother then who is your father...Pakistan or China...my friend said he was so embarassed:agree:

A lot of other countries refer to their country as motherland as well.I have already given one such example in my first post.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Afghans also refer to Afghanistan as their fatherland, de baba watan.....

wow..Afghans too!!I am interested to know the history behind it...

I think it has more to do with sentiments and perspectives of the inhabitants of the particular country ...

Motherland - meaning one's place of birth ...Those countries or cultures where the idea of birth , the mother etc are held in great respect...fro eg . In India as evidenced in the writings most of our patriotic literateurs , poets and philosophers - Premchand , Mahadevi Verma, Nirala , Ugra , ...most of the writers from Bengal - Tagore , Bankim Chandra Chattapadhya , Sharat Chandra Chaterjee, Vivekananda and many others have written and expressed in their writings .

In contrast , societies which are mostly patriorchial in nature , where the idea of " The Land of our fathers , fore-fathers etc " is held in great regard , such nations consider their land to be a "father-land " and their literature is accordingly influenced , like Germany , Turkey etc.

In the years leading to both WW1 and WW2 , i.e Bismarck's Germany and Hitlerian Germany ...Germany attitudes and standards were dominated by thinkers and philosophers all espousing "masculine" qualities--- as they liked to call them - courage , steely nerves .etc

wow..Afghans too!!I am interested to know the history behind it...
We refer to Ahmad Shah Abdali, founder of Afghanistan, as Baba (father) which is why Afghanistan is mostly called 'zemung de baba watan', our fatherland.

Amongst all the white races I think the Germanic people are head and shoulders above the others a truly admirable race of man.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom