What's new

Why Canada Should Buy The Saab Gripen E Jas39 "NG" Fighter

I think in the end, we will see the US offer some concession to Canada for the F-35, while the Canadian Force need to buy the super hornet for the stop gap. Wait a minute, where does this happen before?

Oh yes, look at Australia.

Australia didn't have a choice.

Australia didn't have a choice.

The problem is, Do Canada have a choice as well?

If you look at the troop deployment in Canada, they very much depend on US intervention. Why I say this? Let's compare the Canada and Australia

Canada

land size : 9984670 sq km
Armed Force strength : 68250 Active, 47081 reserve, total 115349
Air Defence inventory : 103 Fighters (CF-188)
Naval Strength : 12 Frigate, 3 Destoryer, assorted loitering combat ship
Army Strength : 45,000 personnel 3 Infantry Regiment, 2 Armored Regiment, 1 Cavalry regiment

Australia

Land size : 7692024 sq km
Armed Force Strength : 57994 active, 44238 reserve, in total 102232 personnel
Air Defence Inventory : 95 (71 F-18C, 24 F-18E/F)
Naval Strength : 12 Frigate, 12 Patrol boat
Army Strength : ~ 60,000 personnel (2 Division, 12 Combine Brigade)

For a land mass of equal or larger size, the actual value of defence force is virtually the same. While the Australia are defending in principle on Delaying action so the US can mobilise their Asian Asset to get into the play, the same has been done to the Canada where instead of Asian Asset, you are talking about the US mainland asset to save their hidey.

Problem with such defending tactics require both Canada and Australia heavily rely on US equipment (So they can salvage and reuse when combined with US forces. Thus there are no other way but for Canada to depend on US import too.

US relation is very important to Canada, where there are literally no other choice but F-35 (Lighting cost almost the same as F-35, Gripen depend on US parts which US will simply reject for them in favor of other US planes, Rafale are crap for non-NATO standard weapon.)

Either F-18 E/F, F15 later version, it's literally F-18E/F vs F-35 in this case because F-15 cost 100-110 mil a pop, and F-35 already beat F-18E/F once, so that why I said, the US will offer some F-18 for stop gap, but ultimately the F-35 will win out.

I'm not sure why people call for stop gap, F/A 18 Super Hornet is not a stop gap but it is more than enough to fulfill the needs/requirement for most Air Forces for atleast 2 decade.

RCAF would slash the number from 130 CF-18s to 65 F-35 with it alot of operational requirements will change and many requirement would have to be compromised. If the idea for F-35 is to carry munitions/weapons externally then it is against the philosophy of the Aircraft development itself RCAF will have to look for alternatives and that in my opinion is F/A 18E/F Super Hornets stop gap? hardly.

Canada doesn't need any more fuking planes. Nobody is going to invade Canada, it's too fuking cold.

Use the money for more coats and jackets, long johns, socks, ear mugs, beaver hats, stoli, jack daniels.

No more fking planes. We don't need it.

Canada doesn't need any more fuking planes. Nobody is going to invade Canada, it's too fuking cold. Use the money for more coats and jackets, long johns, socks, ear mugs, beaver hats, stoli, jack daniels.

Right maybe we can wire transfer you messages to russians so they too can throw away their toys and enjoy voodka and ice winter swimming.

Right maybe we can wire transfer you messages to russians so they too can throw away their toys and enjoy voodka and ice winter swimming.

He's trolling. Canada has vast territory and needs good interceptors.

Back
Top Bottom