Why Agni 4 is long and thin?

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Agni+IV+Sept+12.jpg

Hello friends

I love Agni 4 missile; its sophisticated, advanced and has no truss/fins.

but i wonder, why A 4 is long and thin like pencil?

why DRDO didn't make A 4 shorter but thicker i.e around 15 meter length and 1.5 meter diameter?

i request members/mods/think tanks to shed light on this

thanks

^^^I guess that's because a sleeker model would have a smaller diameter and cross section bringing down radar detection probability and would be stealthier I guess!!

^^^I guess that's because a sleeker model would have a smaller diameter and cross section bringing down radar detection probability and would be stealthier I guess!!

could be

but i think there are many other reason behind this

can anyone tell?

^^ No, because it was a quicker and easier upgrade to Agni-II. Furthermore, India already has well established storage/launch facilities + mobility vehicles for Agni-II, which can also be used for Agni-IV.

logical explanation

but then it begs the question that why A 2 is long and thin?

So it could be propelled faster and easier into space.

I think A4 is more of a Tech Demo than a would-be operational asset. However, its tech features will be used in future Agni missiles

^^ A 4 is not mere TD though it has acted as test bed for new technologies as composite motors, closed inter stage etc.

why A 4 is long and thin like

A 4 shorter but thicker

:rofl: :rofl:

around 15 meter length and 1.5 meter diameter?

Its probably thinner, cuz its longer, and probably has the same volume ^^

Also, being thinner probably means its more aerodynamic. And less surface area contact to air during re-entry and flight, reducing friction, drag and maybe increasing range. Just saying.

BTW does anyone have any idea about the number of missiles India owns and operates? I am talking about the operational ones - A1,2,3.

The A4 is an improvement to the A2 and basically implemented the software and navigation systems
that would go into A5. Both A4 and A5 will be canisterized. A4 could enter IA/SFC service by mid-2013.

Bulkier missiles with much larger diameter and shorter length like A3 and A5 are mainly designed for
implementing multiple MIRV warheads. As time progresses, things get more and more compact and need
lesser space on a missile, so it's good going for shorter, bulkier missiles instead of long solid cigarettes.

Back
Top Bottom