What's new

When did megafauna go extinct from Pakistan?

Reaction score
Country
India
When did Tigers,Elephants,Lions,Rhinos go extinct from Pakistan? Or did they ever exist in the first place there? I guess other than snow leopards, Pakistan doesnot have any big cat.Even normal leopards donot exist in Pakistan (I was wrong, some leopards may still exist) ..The sheer difference in the size of wild megafauna between India and Pakistan is massive. Among the poor countries of the world,India most definitely has the best track record of big animal conservation........India,Sri Lanka,Bhutan,Nepal and Bangladesh have extreme pride in their megafauna

I dream of an India where 10,000 Tigers roam in the wild ...That is perhaps our maximum carrying capacity with 1.5 billion population, given 100 sq kms is needed for a fully grown male tiger...and may be two three of his wives may partially share his territory

Genghis Khan ran away from Pakistan after Tengrii shamans said that the gorgeous black rhinos of Pakistan were a bad omen for him

The whole area from the Atlas mountains in Morocco till Indus river used to teem with Barabary Lions,Asiatic cheetahs,Elepants, Caspian Tigers...Now all gone

This is why I donot understand the Western craze for Environment when they are not enthusiastic about saving wild population...

A single wild wolf in Sachsen,Germany was treated as an illegal immigrant last year and hounded out...A single wild bear in Germany was shot dead in 2006...Koi unkay baray bhi socho

When did Tigers,Elephants,Lions,Rhinos go extinct from Pakistan? Or did they ever exist in the first place there? I guess other than snow leopards, Pakistan doesnot have any big cat.Even normal leopards donot exist in Pakistan (I was wrong, some leopards may still exist) ..The sheer difference in the size of wild megafauna between India and Pakistan is massive. Among the poor countries of the world,India most definitely has the best track record of big animal conservation........India,Sri Lanka,Bhutan,Nepal and Bangladesh have extreme pride in their megafauna

I dream of an India where 10,000 Tigers roam in the wild ...That is perhaps our maximum carrying capacity with 1.5 billion population, given 100 sq kms is needed for a fully grown male tiger...and may be two three of his wives may partially share his territory

Genghis Khan ran away from Pakistan after Tengrii shamans said that the gorgeous black rhinos of Pakistan were a bad omen for him

The whole area from the Atlas mountains in Morocco till Indus river used to teem with Barabary Lions,Asiatic cheetahs,Elepants, Caspian Tigers...Now all gone

This is why I donot understand the Western craze for Environment when they are not enthusiastic about saving wild population...

A single wild wolf in Sachsen,Germany was treated as an illegal immigrant last year and hounded out...A single wild bear in Germany was shot dead in 2006...Koi unkay baray bhi socho
around 1700s when population boomed
rhinos existed and in literature babur hunted a rhino near rawalpindi area..

The forests in our village were filled with wildlife. My father talks about monkeys, boars, birds, rabbits, even wolves and tigers. The last time anyone saw a leopard was in the 80s, but locals killed it because it attacked goats. Deforestation has driven it all away.

Bs keh dushwar hai har kam ka aasan hona.
AAdmi ko mayyaser nahi hai insaan hona.

listen first 42 seconds:

@Juggernaut_is_here my friend,

We do have quite dangerous and territorial wild animals...

1. CriminalEnterprise
  2. Punjab/Sindh Police
  3. Wadaraz
  4. MQM Target Killers
  5. Land Qabza Groups
  6. FazoolMullahMaffia
  7. KhooniLiberals
  8. MarasiMedia
  9. Lifafaz
  10. Babucracy
  11. Ethnofacists

On more non-human animals... I do recall black bear tamasha but that was like 45+ years ago... we did have then light brown bear.

We have brown bear up North in GB
Leopards are common in AJK/GB/KPK/Balochistan
Wild cat throughout Pakistan
Wild monkeys
Wild boar
Jakals
River crocs

Black Rhino is found in Africa, i think you mean the Greater one-horned Rhino ( Also called Indian Rhino)

Black Rhino

43807085715_50057bcd4d_b.jpg

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/black-rhino

Greater one-horned Rhino

upload_2019-12-2_14-3-34.png

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/greater-one-horned-rhino#

Leopards (not counting snow leopards that are also here but in north) do exist in margalla hills and surrounding murree, abbotabad and mansehra area.

I know of several instances where leopards were seen in taxila khanpur area.

Although not big animals but I have seen plenty of jackals, porcupine type animals, possibly a fox, lots of boars traveling as a group (almost hit my car twice) and an owl in that aforementioned area.

So the food chain and competitors are there for the leopards but people need to be educated so that they can take better care of the environment for wild life preservation.

We also need to expedite the ten billion tree program to reforest the land.

Back
Top Bottom