What's new

When can Pakistan have 100% power availability?

Menace2Society

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
All these projects and timelines and I still do not know when Pakistan will be able to let their businesses run at full capacity and electricity available to all.

When will loadshedding officially finish? How long of a wait are we looking at here.

All these projects and timelines and I still do not know when Pakistan will be able to let their businesses run at full capacity and electricity available to all.

When will loadshedding officially finish? How long of a wait are we looking at here.

You are living in UK dude. Why bother with Pakistan's eternal electricity problems? I was there last month and faced 12 hour loadshedding first hand. There is no hope for Pakistan's energy sector as the main problem is not even power generation but energy transfer. You know our power transmitting national grid is more than 60 years old and only a few places its upgraded to modern day standards. So good luck with your dreams :D

You are living in UK dude. Why bother with Pakistan's eternal electricity problems? I was there last month and faced 12 hour loadshedding first hand. There is no hope for Pakistan's energy sector as the main problem is not even power generation but energy transfer. You know our power transmitting national grid is more than 60 years old and only a few places its upgraded to modern day standards. So good luck with your dreams :D

I know but I have a property there and would like to visit without having to suffer blackouts.

Surely there will be closure to this mess? So the country will never be loadshedding free??

I know but I have a property there and would like to visit without having to suffer blackouts.

Surely there will be closure to this mess? So the country will never be loadshedding free??

Its possible, but main problem is that we have decades old power grid. Much of our electical power is lost in transmission losses. The rest is stolen in various kinds of thefts like unpaid bills, kundas, circular debt etc. In order to "fix" this mess, one must enact large scale investments to upgrade our national grid. At the same time, coal based or other cheap power plants must be build throughout the country. A few power plants here and there for publicity stunts is not a viable solution at all. We all know what happened to Nandipur project.

Best way for Pakistan currently is to follow Iranian way. Iran has successfully indeginously managed to become electricity independent. You can ask some Iranian member to tell you how: @haman10 @SOHEIL

Pakistan needs five year plans like China. Need to get some nuke reactors up and running, two dozen or so coal plants, LNG plants, and solar,wind, and hydro for renewable.

easier said than done i bet, but this should be a main priority everything else should be put the back burner.

Here is a little comparison between two neighbors. See the difference:

Iran
Population 80,840,713 (July 2014 est.)

Pakistan
196,174,380 (July 2014 est.)

Iran
Electricity - production 239.7 billion kWh (2011 est.)

Pakistan
94.65 billion kWh (2011 est.)

Iran
Electricity - consumption 199.8 billion kWh (2011 est.)

Pakistan
70.1 billion kWh (2011 est.)

Pakistan needs five year plans like China. Need to get some nuke reactors up and running, two dozen or so coal plants, LNG plants, and solar,wind, and hydro for renewable.

Apart from coal and hyrdo, every other option is too costly and expensive for a poor country like Pakistan!

Why dont you upgrade your electrical systems.Upgrading large power transmission for ab ove 220 Kv transmission line with power electronics system will drastically reduce
loss.

When Pakistanis start actually paying for the power they use. When the state starts treating power theft as a crime You can put all the plants you want but if there is no money coming in, there is nothing anyone can do.

Why dont you upgrade your electrical systems.Upgrading large power transmission for ab ove 220 Kv transmission line with power electronics system will drastically reduce
loss.

I just suggested this above. With no budget surplus, and ever dependent on foreign aid, what make you suggest its even possible? :D

When Pakistanis start actually paying for the power they use. When the state starts treating power theft as criminal. You can put all the plants you want but if there is no money coming in, there is nothing anyone can do.
Most Pakistanis DO pay for the electricity they use. Only big fish don't, and there lies the problem of theft!

Early to Mid 2017, you'll have resolved around 75-80% of your power generation issues for current needs, base lined in today's consumption. It would probably be +/- 10% because projects do hit roadblocks. In fact, every project, in its life-cycle, hits some serious risks to moderate delays. But even at 65% of reduction in power outages would be huge compared to what it is today. Your government estimates that by 2018, you should be generating about the same level of electricity that you'd need.
By 2020, you should be in surplus. Add some nuclear power reactors that you may be able to afford post 2017 (when economy hopefully goes into full swing and terrorism is minimized inside Pakistan and India doesn't start a war), you should be in surplus by 2020.

Most Pakistanis DO pay for the electricity they use. Only big fish don't, and there lies the problem of theft!

Not likely to be paying the actual cost, more likely a subsidised rate. Difficult for a state with finances like Pakistan to sustain that.

@Bang Galore they don't pay the subsidised cost. punjab has the lowest line losses, other 3 provinces have major line losses. and it is the lower to upper middle class that consumes the most electricity and doesn't pay.

@Bang Galore they don't pay the subsidised cost. punjab has the lowest line losses, other 3 provinces have major line losses. and it is the lower to upper middle class that consumes the most electricity and doesn't pay.

Line losses are a south Asian euphemism for mainly theft. Btw, what is the price per unit?

Apart from coal and hyrdo, every other option is too costly and expensive for a poor country like Pakistan!

Hydro is the most costly option to develop before Nuclear but electricity production from hydro would be very cheap as compare to others. I guess there's more options like Solar, Wind. Pakistan should focus on Hydro and Coal but also others.

It's not that much difficult to end Load shedding if our govt is genuinely interested in removing it, govt can do it in five years.

Back
Top Bottom