What's new

What is happening toafghanistan suddenly:many attackson highprofile leaders

Pakistan government was elected democratically by the people of Pakistan, Afghanistan's was not. The Pakistani government does not comprise of warlords. The Taiban is not in control of Pakistan, as evidenced by the decreasing terrorist violence in Pakistan (ethnic violence in Karachi not included). The Pakistani people have not tried to overthrow the government either.

Actually, this present gov is the only elected gov in Afghansitan. Before we didnt have it.

Actually, this present gov is the only elected gov in Afghansitan. Before we didnt have it.

Well, my point is that the present government is only an extension of the rule established by the US when they overthrew the Taliban in 2001.

Well, my point is that the present government is only an extension of the rule established by the US when they overthrew the Taliban in 2001.

whatever it might be(which is not), the people had a chance to have a say in their own affairs.

I wonder how will violence in Affghanistan will affect pakistan?

I wonder how will violence in Affghanistan will affect pakistan?

The problem is simple: Pakistan is too ethnically diverse enough country that it will, as a whole, accept this sort of extremism. The Taliban movement, which is a terrorist one no doubt, is veiled in the form of a Pashtun resistance movement, which garners support of many people. Taliban is much more rooted in Afghanistan than Pakistan. It is only rooted in Pakistan's FATA, but it is pretty much rooted all over Afghanistan & in mainstream Afghan society. Many of the people in FATA, similar to the Pashtuns in Afghanistan hate the Taliban, but they have still have their 'roots' there, & will remain influential.

Also remember, the Taliban did rule Afghanistan for about 5 years (something they haven't done in Pakistan), & they were initially supported by the people & brought into power by the Afghan people when they rooted out the warlords.

On top of that, Pakistan also has a strong defense & Army, & unfortunately Afghanistan does not have that, despite all the investments that have been made.

I have said it before, & I will say it again. The Afghan people need to bring the necessary changes themselves. The changes need to come from within the Afghan society. When the Afghan people are made to choose between corrupt warlords & extremists, there isn't much of a choice there. The Afghan people need to eradicate the culture of corruption, addiction, warlord prevalence; & bring together an honest regime, a sincere one; so that the Afghan people can be allowed to have a choice at least. Currently, choosing between the corrupt warlords & extremists is no choice at all.

@ Bilal: Afghanistan is a multicultural and multi racial society as well. And highly doubt the Talibans are popular amongst the Hazaras and Tajiks. Pakistan and Afghanistan are linked together whether we like it or not. If either one is to have stable peace then the same must be true for the other one. Although i agree on the part where Afghans themselves have to sort this mess out. We have a problem (not only Afghans but muslims including Pakistanis too) of blaming everything on outsiders and portraying ourselves as innocent victims. If Afghans really want to make a change then they need to unite and need to think beyond sectarian and ethnic lines.

@ Bilal: Afghanistan is a multicultural and multi racial society as well. And highly doubt the Talibans are popular amongst the Hazaras and Tajiks. Pakistan and Afghanistan are linked together whether we like it or not. If either one is to have stable peace then the same must be true for the other one. Although i agree on the part where Afghans themselves have to sort this mess out. We have a problem (not only Afghans but muslims including Pakistanis too) of blaming everything on outsiders and portraying ourselves as innocent victims. If Afghans really want to make a change then they need to unite and need to think beyond sectarian and ethnic lines.

No doubt Afghanistan is a multicultural country as well. I have been to Afghanistan myself once before 2001, to Panjshir, visited a friend there. Afghanistan is an ethnically diverse country, but Pashtuns are still 40% of the population, & with the Taliban veiling itself as a Pashtun resistance movement, it is bound to receive plenty of support. Also, Pakistan is much more ethnically accepting that mainstream Afghan society is, & even Afghans who fled from Afghanistan seek refuge, & a better life in Pakistan. Pakistan is affected by "landlordism", Afghanistan is affected by "warlordism" & "poppy growth". Both countries face challenges, but the challenges faced by Afghanistan are on a different level, & far more severe than the one in Pakistan. No matter how dysfunctional Pakistan is, Pakistani society is still functioning. Can't exactly say the same thing about Afghan society.

What is happening? Simple what do you think the Taliban is doing? Its no different than ISAF targeting Taliban and Al Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan and Pakistan. What is the purpose of targeting leaders?

Tit for tat, that is what is happening.

No doubt Afghanistan is a multicultural country as well. I have been to Afghanistan myself once before 2001, to Panjshir, visited a friend there. Afghanistan is an ethnically diverse country, but Pashtuns are still 40% of the population, & with the Taliban veiling itself as a Pashtun resistance movement, it is bound to receive plenty of support. Also, Pakistan is much more ethnically accepting that mainstream Afghan society is, & even Afghans who fled from Afghanistan seek refuge, & a better life in Pakistan. Pakistan is affected by "landlordism", Afghanistan is affected by "warlordism" & "poppy growth". Both countries face challenges, but the challenges faced by Afghanistan are on a different level, & far more severe than the one in Pakistan. No matter how dysfunctional Pakistan is, Pakistani society is still functioning. Can't exactly say the same thing about Afghan society.

I understand what you are saying, the Taliban do use the Pashtun cover to gain popularity but i believe the real reason why they are still a presence is because of the Afghan governments incompetence. Ideologically speaking i dont think most of their low rank fighters agree with the Taliban ideology. They are just in there to take revenge at the injustices taking place (of which the Afghan government is to blame). At least thats what my understanding is, maybe the Afghans here can give a clearer answer as to why the Taliban are still popular.

Regarding Afghanistans problems being on a different level, again i agree with that, but that is more due to the fact that their country has been at war for about 30, 40 years. We have barely witnessed what they have been through. So obviously their society is going to be "dysfuntional". The US does not seem very keen on building up an Afghan economy, the Afghan government can not do much without US support, so unfortunately things are looking good for the Taliban. (its a classic example of the enemy not winning due to his competence, but due to his oppositions incompetence).

Back
Top Bottom