What's new

What is fifth and possibily sixth generation fighters for?

Genesis

Reaction score
Country
China
I think I am right that F-22s have not been in any real combat situations yet. While the American fourth Generation still remains superior to pretty much anything that is in active service right now.

China is pursuing the J-20 and J-31 programs while Russia has the PAK FA. But those are at least a few years away and to be effective probably a few more.

Most nations that are involved in wars, Africa and middle east has limited amounts of even third generation fighters much less fourth.

So while only a handful of countries can actually design and manufacture fourth Generation fighters by themselves, only Americans seems to have the capability to really mass produce these planes.

What exactly is the fifth generation for? Only in a war that involves Super power and great powers can a fifth generation fighter be tested. To be even more honest, Only America, Russia and China.

So unless WW3 happens these planes are just cool to look at, but if it did how useful would a fighter be?

Now there's talk of six generation fighters.....?

USA, China and Russia may not fight directly, but the different countries they support might. Besides, owning a Porsche doesn't mean you have to race it, sometimes "my car is faster than your car" is deterrent enough.

Back
Top Bottom