What's new

Westerners are so convinced China is a dystopian hellscape they’ll share anything that confirms it

RFS_Br

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Westerners are so convinced China is a dystopian hellscape they’ll share anything that confirms it – Quartz

tiananmen-sunrise-shandong-720x480.jpg

When it comes to China stories, people will believe almost anything. Take, for instance, the reports about pollution being so severe in Beijing that residents now watch radiant sunrises broadcast on a huge screen in Tiananmen Square.

So, that never happened. As Tech in Asia flags, the sunrise is a clip from a tourism ad for Shandong province, in China’s northeast; it’s on screen for maybe 10 seconds or so per loop.

But that didn’t prevent a slew of prominent media outlets—including Time, CBS News and the Huffington Post—from running the story, which originated in the UK-based Daily Mail, each taking their own liberties with the truth. The “glorious sunrise was broadcast as part of a patriotic video loop,” explained Time.

How do stories like this happen? One reason is shabby journalism, something for which the Daily Mail is renowned. As TIA points out, the originator, a writer named James Nye, is based in New York (as is this writer, for the record). Nye surveys a wide range of click-bait topics that fall between morbid and Kardashian. The discovery of that post-apocalyptic photo may have had something to do with the photo search for an article Nye had written earlier that day about severe turbulencein a flight bound for Beijing. The leap to making up news based on a photo isn’t hard, particularly when you crib a quote from an unrelated Associated Press story to round it out.

But more to the point: Western readers eat this stuff up. Based on Quartz’s experiences, Western audiences generally love Chinese “airpocalypse” stories. It’s not only on Quartz that they tend to attract readers; a friend and editor of a China-focused news site told me last summer that he’s equally baffled by the enduring popularity of air pollution stories. And by interweaving the themes of pollution and the government’s Orwellian-tinged attempts to control daily life, the Daily Mail offers a double-whammy of Western reader stereotypes about China.

But how do relatively respectable outfits like Time, HuffPo and CBS jump onboard with circulating fake stories? Simply by not checking, for one. You can be pretty sure if that really happened, there would be some report in Chinese about it (and while there are blog posts and Chinese translations of the Daily Mail story, there aren’t any original reports from Beijing).

What’s more unnerving, though, is that while several of the media outlets updated their posts already, none has changed the headline or noted that the story isn’t true. Does that mean that accuracy and accountability don’t matter for click-bait pieces about China that “feel” true? Unfortunately for readers, that seems to be the case.

nothing is new here. anti-china propaganda machines are working full time like always.. random users post bad news about china on weibo ( china twitter) are treated as facts. if there's none, just make one up and spread like wildfire by their so-called reputable media outlets :D

remember this?
china backdoor chip
Google

Last edited:
nothing is new here. anti-china propaganda machines are working full time like always.. random users post bad news about china on weibo ( china twitter) are treated as facts. if there's none, just make one up and spread like wildfire by their so-called reputable media outlets :D

remember this?
china backdoor chip
Google

It's actually part of the US strategy to destabilize China.

China will implode by itself.

Last edited:
Westerners are so convinced China is a dystopian hellscape they’ll share anything that confirms it – Quartz

When it comes to China stories, people will believe almost anything. Take, for instance, the reports about pollution being so severe in Beijing that residents now watch radiant sunrises broadcast on a huge screen in Tiananmen Square.

So, that never happened. As Tech in Asia flags, the sunrise is a clip from a tourism ad for Shandong province, in China’s northeast; it’s on screen for maybe 10 seconds or so per loop.

But that didn’t prevent a slew of prominent media outlets—including Time, CBS News and the Huffington Post—from running the story, which originated in the UK-based Daily Mail, each taking their own liberties with the truth. The “glorious sunrise was broadcast as part of a patriotic video loop,” explained Time.

How do stories like this happen? One reason is shabby journalism, something for which the Daily Mail is renowned. As TIA points out, the originator, a writer named James Nye, is based in New York (as is this writer, for the record). Nye surveys a wide range of click-bait topics that fall between morbid and Kardashian. The discovery of that post-apocalyptic photo may have had something to do with the photo search for an article Nye had written earlier that day about severe turbulencein a flight bound for Beijing. The leap to making up news based on a photo isn’t hard, particularly when you crib a quote from an unrelated Associated Press story to round it out.

But more to the point: Western readers eat this stuff up. Based on Quartz’s experiences, Western audiences generally love Chinese “airpocalypse” stories. It’s not only on Quartz that they tend to attract readers; a friend and editor of a China-focused news site told me last summer that he’s equally baffled by the enduring popularity of air pollution stories. And by interweaving the themes of pollution and the government’s Orwellian-tinged attempts to control daily life, the Daily Mail offers a double-whammy of Western reader stereotypes about China.

But how do relatively respectable outfits like Time, HuffPo and CBS jump onboard with circulating fake stories? Simply by not checking, for one. You can be pretty sure if that really happened, there would be some report in Chinese about it (and while there are blog posts and Chinese translations of the Daily Mail story, there aren’t any original reports from Beijing).

What’s more unnerving, though, is that while several of the media outlets updated their posts already, none has changed the headline or noted that the story isn’t true. Does that mean that accuracy and accountability don’t matter for click-bait pieces about China that “feel” true? Unfortunately for readers, that seems to be the case.

for a sec i thought those two big poles with banners were armed robots watching everybody lol

Without all the boo hoo that surrounds China, i think most of you will agree that this picture is quite ominous. I hope this is not the future that awaits us. It's vaguely reminiscent of the dark atmosphere in Blade Runner, or scenes from the movie 5th Element, where giant skyscrapers tower into the sky for kilometers, but at their base there is eternal fog and smog.

for a sec i thought those two big poles with banners were armed robots watching everybody lol
They could be!! You never know! As they say in China: 'Careful! Big brother is watching you!' :ph34r: :lol:

I wish in coming years, Western media will start bash Vietnam like they have bad-mouthed China for last 20-30 years. The propaganda machine in the West have worked very hard to assure Western readers about their self-claimed "superiority". That is a clear proof that China is growing very fast and they (the West) are being scared. If you are nothing, no one care to write about you.

Anti China news from western media is a good thing. It means they fear us and envy our achievements in a short time span. Keep it up western "journalists"

Without all the boo hoo that surrounds China, i think most of you will agree that this picture is quite ominous. I hope this is not the future that awaits us. It's vaguely reminiscent of the dark atmosphere in Blade Runner, or scenes from the movie 5th Element, where giant skyscrapers tower into the sky for kilometers, but at their base there is eternal fog and smog.

wow that was early morning haze in the cold weather often times the scenarios are like that in the thick of winter and a brief spell of warm air. We are taking care of our own air quality.

how long havent you been to new delhi. I dont think it is better than Beijing. your watching of many hollywood movies is getting you to nowhere but brainwashed obviously despite being indian

Last edited:
Anti China news from western media is a good thing. It means they fear us and envy our achievements in a short time span. Keep it up western "journalists"
No, that means they will attack you for practically free means.

They'll arm uighurs, tibetans with few millions and destroy all your cities like in Syria

They'll finish you with the vietnamese

For JEW USA they must dominate the world other must be submitted

Don't underestimate them they have already broken Russia
& China with communism that is not bad or good, but brings nothing new

wow that was early morning haze in the cold weather often times the scenarios are like that in the thick of winter and a brief spell of warm air. We are taking care of our own air quality.

how long havent you been to new delhi. I dont think it is better than Beijing. your watching of many hollywood movies is getting you to nowhere but brainwashed obviously despite being indian

Shittler, i have no interest of replying to your verbal excrement.
Cause i'm in a good mood, i'll let this one slide today but next time, you quote me on something not even exclusively related to China i'll make sure i'll let everyone know how you take care of your own air quality and how many times it was already medically advised levels this winter and by how much. The numbers will, unsurprisingly, brand you as a liar.

Back
Top Bottom