What's new

Were tandoori foods such as naan and tandoori chicken part of ancient Pakistani cuisine?

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Were tandoori foods such as naan and tandoori chicken part of ancient Pakistani cuisine?

Some of the earliest clay ovens, also called tandoor, have been found in Indus Civilization. The most noteworthy excavations are in the early Harappan phase on the Makran coast, including the mound site of Balakot, Pakistan.

By 3200 BC, each house had an oven in settlements across the Indus Valley Civilization. Small clay/mud plastered ovens resembling the tandoor with a side door have been found in Harappa, Mohenjodaro, and other Indus sites.

1622168122218.png

1622168163268.png

Chicken was not a feasible choice for food until very recently in human history.

It was considered a delicacy before it became a commodity.

Thread is a classical example of people running out of content creation.

Chicken was not a feasible choice for food until very recently in human history.

People say thank you.
Only negative comments form you deserve this,
What a great attitude, I like your hate toward me for no reason I even don't know you.

Neither was most meats. I dont see the point of your criticism. It is not rightfully placed.

This is a good article to understand use of this type of oven which has many applications.

@ghazi52 has always posted excellent articles which are balanced and well focused. To put this kind of narrative is uncalled for.

I would encourage you to participate and add your voice to a good article on culture, food, tourism just to name a few. Unfortunately, based on seeing your flag, i believe your are struggling with your identity. Pak has a tremendous, I mean huge vast history in every aspect which people have neglected and abandoned.

This is a good attempt to take pride in what was and make sure it is read by others. Regretfully most is not taught; most people have abandoned reading or visiting or researching. Instead it has become a cesspool of internet based youtube garbage.

His articles are a welcome to this forum and I commend him for taking the time to find such gems.

@waz

Last edited:
Origin

Dishes similar to tandoori chicken may have existed during the Harappan civilization. According to eminent archeologist and vice-chancellor of Deccan College Professor Vasant Shinde, the earliest evidence for a dish similar to tandoori chicken can be found in the Harappan civilization and dates back to 3000 BC.

His team has found ancient ovens at Harappan sites which are similar to the tandoors that are used in the state of Punjab.

Physical remains of chicken bones with char marks have also been unearthed.[12][13][14] Harappan houses had keyhole ovens with central pillars which was used for roasting meats and baking breads.[15] Sushruta Samhita records meat being cooked in an oven (kandu) after marinating it in spices like black mustard (rai) powder and fragrant spices.[16] According to Ahmed (2014), Harappan oven structures may have operated in a similar manner to the modern tandoors of the Punjab.[17]

Origin

Dishes similar to tandoori chicken may have existed during the Harappan civilization. According to eminent archeologist and vice-chancellor of Deccan College Professor Vasant Shinde, the earliest evidence for a dish similar to tandoori chicken can be found in the Harappan civilization and dates back to 3000 BC.

His team has found ancient ovens at Harappan sites which are similar to the tandoors that are used in the state of Punjab.

Physical remains of chicken bones with char marks have also been unearthed.[12][13][14] Harappan houses had keyhole ovens with central pillars which was used for roasting meats and baking breads.[15] Sushruta Samhita records meat being cooked in an oven (kandu) after marinating it in spices like black mustard (rai) powder and fragrant spices.[16] According to Ahmed (2014), Harappan oven structures may have operated in a similar manner to the modern tandoors of the Punjab.[17]

friend, i had always meant to ask you to do a post on climate change and how the rivers changed that impacted these ancient civilisations

friend, i had always meant to ask you to do a post on climate change and how the rivers changed that impacted these ancient civilisations

also

Some of the earliest clay ovens, also called tandoor, have been found in Indus Civilization. The most noteworthy excavations are in the early Harappan phase on the Makran coast, including the mound site of Balakot, Pakistan.

By 3200 BC, each house had an oven in settlements across the Indus Valley Civilization. Small clay/mud plastered ovens resembling the tandoor with a side door have been found in Harappa, Mohenjodaro, and other Indus sites.

View attachment 748251

View attachment 748252

I was always under the impression that Naan was an Afghan creation, whereas Kebabs were a Persian creation. Considering the proximity of both people to Pakistan. However having viewed post, it seems to be plausible that both Afghans and Persians may have obtained the "Naan" concept from Indus Civilizations such Ghandara, Moenjodaro and Harrappa.

Good find @ghazi52 history has always fascinated me and I have always studied it.

Naan I believe must have come from Afghanistan / Central Asia

Afghani Naan is big in size, Atleast 2 times, as compared to Pakistani Naan.

Also, Indian Naan is even smaller and more softer and easier to eat.

Hold on - stop being like armenians and trying to claim everything as Indian. Start a seperate thread called "everything that was and is Indian" or better go and get a GI index. India never existed then, so please keep quiet.

Kindly do not derail this thread like a troll.
Yes that was totally not necessary, but couldn't stop myself :lol: carry on.

so pak ppl invented the chicken tikka with masala. wheres the mint chatney?.

Most foods/dishes that are the norm/or eaten in the sub-continent today - originated from the West and moved East.

So, what is considered 'Indian' dishes actually were bought into the region, adopted - and modified over time.

Hindu Indians ate insects and bugs as part of their diet. They still do. (Gordon Ramsey documentary sums that up)
so pak ppl invented the chicken tikka with masala. wheres the mint chatney?.

Certainly wasn't Indian in origin that's for sure

People say thank you.
Only negative comments form you deserve this,
What a great attitude, I like your hate toward me for no reason I even don't know you.
Standard Niazism.

Criticism equals hatred.
Neither was most meats. I dont see the point of your criticism. It is not rightfully placed.

This is a good article to understand use of this type of oven which has many applications.

@ghazi52 has always posted excellent articles which are balanced and well focused. To put this kind of narrative is uncalled for.

I would encourage you to participate and add your voice to a good article on culture, food, tourism just to name a few. Unfortunately, based on seeing your flag, i believe your are struggling with your identity. Pak has a tremendous, I mean huge vast history in every aspect which people have neglected and abandoned.

This is a good attempt to take pride in what was and make sure it is read by others. Regretfully most is not taught; most people have abandoned reading or visiting or researching. Instead it has become a cesspool of internet based youtube garbage.

His articles are a welcome to this forum and I commend him for taking the time to find such gems.

@waz

You can skim through the 5 lines in the OP and let me know where you found balance and focus.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom