WATCH: 300 landmines detonated in Golan Heights

Solomon2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
CENTRAL_1024_ynet_logo_en.png

WATCH: 300 landmines detonated in Golan Heights
Campaign underway to clear thousands of landmines buried by Syria in the Golan Heights half a century ago, which pose a danger to hikers; land to be transferred for civilian use.
Yoav Zitun|Published: 11.12.17 , 14:05

The Landmines Removal Agency detonated a chain of 300 landmines in the Golan Heights in a controlled explosion at noon on Monday.

This was the biggest explosion thus far in the Ministry of Defense's current campaign to clear the Golan Heights of landmines.

[video in original]

The campaign began in August and is expected to last three years at a cost of tens of millions of shekels. Thousands of landmines, in an area encompassing 2,000-3,000 dunams—about 10 percent of the Golan minefields—are expected to be cleared.

The land cleared will be transferred to the jurisdiction of the Golan Regional Council and to the town of Majdal Shams to be used for agriculture, tourism or other civilian uses.

Landmine detonation (Photo: GPO)

The landmines were buried by the Syrian army half a century ago. Though they are relatively small mines, they can cause a lot of damage. Recently there has been concern that the mines will rise in a flood, float and move, endangering hikers in the area.

Throughout Israel there exist thousands of anti-man and anti-tank minefields that were placed over the years for tactical purposes. Some are not in use anymore and others were placed by the armies of Syria, Jordan or Egypt. To date, some 200,000 mines were removed in an area of 9,000 dunams, from the north to the south of the country.

Hopefully there are more mines that Israel won't find.

Hopefully there are more mines that Israel won't find.
Note that Majal Shams is a Druze town. The majority probably retain Syrian passports. So what you are really wishing for is the death of innocent Syrian Arab Muslims, yes?

Note that Majal Shams is a Druze town. The majority probably retain Syrian passports. So what you are really wishing for is the death of innocent Syrian Arab Muslims, yes?

I don't wish for death, but what I do wish for is that this area cannot be used by Israel. The state needs to feel like it's existence is a struggle, at least until we finally remove it.

Oh and Druze do not count as Muslims, neither does anyone who sides with non Muslims who are fighting against Muslims

I don't wish for death, but what I do wish for is that this area cannot be used by Israel. The state needs to feel like it's existence is a struggle, at least until we finally remove it.
Oh and Druze do not count as Muslims, neither does anyone who sides with non Muslims who are fighting against Muslims
Assume that the security of the state of Israel is not affected and clearing mines was likely done at the behest of Druze who profess loyalty to Syria. Do you have an issue with that? Yes or No.

Assume that the security of the state of Israel is not affected and clearing mines was likely done at the behest of Druze who profess loyalty to Syria. Do you have an issue with that? Yes or No.

If it makes life easier for Israel, I'm against it. If it has no effect, I'm neutral. If it makes things worse for Israel, I'm all for it.

Apply this to every situation involving Israel to understand my opinion.

If it makes life easier for Israel, I'm against it. If it has no effect, I'm neutral. If it makes things worse for Israel, I'm all for it. Apply this to every situation involving Israel to understand my opinion.
Not in this thread. Do you now understand why I put this politically-neutral event is in the "Land Warfare" section? I thought people would want to see the photo and watch the video.

All these mines all these years didn't raise any safety or security issue, but now it is !!

hmmm... So whats not being told ? !!

Back
Top Bottom