What's new

Warner Bros. to release Pakistan’s first film ‘Waar’

^ like love mein gum?

Yes. We should be focusing on entertainment. Leave the moralizing to the mullahs and intellectuals for now.

Bollywood and Hollywood didn't become successful for their 'message' but their entertainment value.

P.S. For example, this movie Waar. Who is going to watch it outside of Pakistanis? If this is intended to showcase Pakistan's sacrifices in the WOT, they are preaching to the choir. What a waste of money!

Guys, true story I almost got into the background of a major movie that was shot in NYC... It would have been so cool if I got in but the lady who was a member of the filming crew was being a difficult person.

anothet film must be made on the nov 26th NATO attack......so that we dont forget this betrayal from a so called ally.

Yes. We should be focusing on entertainment. Leave the moralizing to the mullahs and intellectuals for now.

Bollywood and Hollywood didn't become successful for their 'message' but their entertainment value.

P.S. For example, this movie Waar. Who is going to watch it outside of Pakistanis? If this is intended to showcase Pakistan's sacrifices in the WOT, they are preaching to the choir. What a waste of money!

well if the movie shows hi octane action...big guns and big bangs....people gona watch it...and enjoy it....the message can be easily missed in the action...and while watching pretty faces..if there are any.

well if the movie shows hi octane action...big guns and big bangs....people gona watch it...and enjoy it....the message can be easily missed in the action...and while watching pretty faces..if there are any.

These things require expensive special effects. Pakistan is nowhere near in that league. Our best bet is to go for 'human interest' type stories where the message/propaganda, if present at all, is understated.

Torn (2012) - IMDb

I would skip the 'message' completely for now and just aim to get the foot in the door. Entertain first; 'messages' can come later.

I would like to see a Pakistani movie which does NOT talk about terror, radicalism or Islam. How about a simple, light-hearted comedy or romantic movie that people watch for enjoyment rather than moralistic or ideological preaching?

I am sure there have been rare sightings in Pakistan where people fall in love or make jokes without Islam or terrorism being relevant.

Our current film-makers' obsession with radicalism only plays into the Western stereotype of linking Pakistan with extremism and terror. Give it a rest and talk about ordinary life for a change, what say?

I think the one reason could be to make something NOT bollywood. The director might want to set him apart from the more light hearted Hindi movies. Another reason is to gain international attention. Dealing with controversial subjects is an easy way to grab international recognition.

Well, think of it as an action movie with nice production value with a little bit of message thrown in for the mix. Because at the end of the, that's what it is, a movie.

I think the one reason could be to make something NOT bollywood. The director might want to set him apart from the more light hearted Hindi movies.

What's wrong with following the Bollywood formula? I can accept if he doesn't want the suggestive dance moves and opts for something more conservative, but the basic Bollywood formula of entertainment is a proven success.

Another reason is to gain international attention. Dealing with controversial subjects is an easy way to grab international recognition.

But that is done much better with a mixed cast of known Hollywood celebrities and a story that others can relate to. This movie has an all Pakistani cast. Does anybody seriously believe it will have much traction outside the Pakistani community?

Well, think of it as an action movie with nice production value with a little bit of message thrown in for the mix. Because at the end of the, that's what it is, a movie.

I hope you are right and it gets an audience outside the Pakistani community. Let's wait and see.

I would like to see a Pakistani movie which does NOT talk about terror, radicalism or Islam. How about a simple, light-hearted comedy or romantic movie that people watch for enjoyment rather than moralistic or ideological preaching?

I am sure there have been rare sightings in Pakistan where people fall in love or make jokes without Islam or terrorism being relevant.

Our current film-makers' obsession with radicalism only plays into the Western stereotype of linking Pakistan with extremism and terror. Give it a rest and talk about ordinary life for a change, what say?

Ten years of such wars now and 20 years during the Afghan-Soviet war.........30 years of Pakistan's life have been dominated by such wars and their effects. In between, put in the wars with India and you don't expect it to affect the media/film industy?

This is for you. Releasing in four to five months may be.
Gol Chakkar Official Trailer - YouTube

But that is done much better with a mixed cast of known Hollywood celebrities and a story that others can relate to. This movie has an all Pakistani cast. Does anybody seriously believe it will have much traction outside the Pakistani community?

If this movie is good, non Pakistanis would definitely be willing to watch it. But the movie should get some critical success for that to happen.

Ten years of such wars now and 20 years during the Afghan-Soviet war.........30 years of Pakistan's life have been dominated by such wars and their effects. In between, put in the wars with India and you don't expect it to affect the media/film industy?

Does the average person in Karachi give two thoughts to all these wars? They are much more concerned about electricity, crime, job, corruption. On the plus side, they are focused on family and relationships.

The average Westerner's impression is that Pakistan is exactly like Afghanistan with bomb blasts happening everywhere, gangs of bearded morality police roaming around, and every family having lost someone to terrorism or war. These kinds of movies reinforce that image of Pakistan as an abnormal, dangerous country.

Nice trailer. Look forward to watching it. Pakistan's movie industry needs more films like this one. Good venture with Warner Bros.

Back
Top Bottom