Krueger

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
August 02 2013

273744-philippines-tourism.jpg

Tourists walk on White Beach on the resort island of Boracay, south of Manila

The Philippines has expanded the country’s new visa-free policy to be inclusive of citizens from 151 countries and regions, allowing travelers to avoid the hassle of obtaining a visa if their stay is under 30 days, instead of the previous 21 days. Many in Chinese media were angered because the amended policy, which came into effect on Aug. 1, was not extended for passport holders from China’s mainland or Taiwan.

China’s Global Times is reporting that the ongoing territorial dispute in the South China Sea over several small islands is the reason behind the visa snub. “Both the Chinese mainland and Taiwan are embroiled in disputes with the country,” Zhuang Guotu, dean of the Research School of Southeast Asian Studies at Xiamen University, said to the Global Times. “Its decision to exclude people from the two regions is a retaliatory move, especially, against Taiwan.”

The three governments have been ensnared in back-and-forth political and economic standoffs. Last May, China issued new passports to its citizens that included watermark illustrations of several disputed islands and maritime territories, including the Spratlys and Paracel Islands. After the Filipino government discovered this in November, Philippine immigration officers were told not to stamp Chinese passports that featured the controversial map and instead issue visas on a separate piece of paper. The Filipino government saw stamping the passport as a sign of acknowledging the passports to be correct.

Taiwan and the Philippines have also had their share of political disputes. Most recently, the Philippine Coast Guard was found to be responsible for the fatal shooting of Taiwanese fisherman Hung Shih-Cheng. The May 9 attack triggered a lot of outrage among Taiwanese, adding to an already tense situation. Taiwan’s president, Ma Ying-Jeou, said that the incident threatened economic relations between the two nations and placed a hiring freeze on Filipino citizens in addition to an advisory against traveling to the tropical nation. The sanctions on the Philippines reportedly affected more than 10,000 overseas Filipinos.

“This is a tit-for-tat response to Taiwan’s sanctions and Manila wanted to show they would not give in to pressure,” Zhuang added.

However, Filipino news outlet ABS-CBN is reporting that the country’s Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the government arm in charge of visa issuance, has not included mainland China or Taiwan since 2010. The DFA instead said that the change was made to help further accommodate foreign tourist travel.

“This move will hopefully encourage more tourists and investors to visit and stay in the Philippines by removing the need for them to report to immigration offices for a stay up to a month,” Assitant Secretary Jaime Victor Ledda of the DFA Consular Affairs told Filipino news site GMA. “It will also give them more flexibility in planning and managing their schedules.”

Actually we are not the loser side on this case.

As we just a customer on Philippine tourism and potential investor.

The losing side is the childish Philippines government. Instead of adopting measures to attract foreign tourists, it adopted visa restriction on major tourist source, lol.

Also I don't see any Chinese people are angered by this policy since the Philippines is one of last tourist destinations in SE Asia for Chinese tourists. Very very few people go there. But we do import lots of bananas, and now increasing number of maids. Maybe China should restrict banana import from the Philippines?

I don't see why should people care. I have traveled to Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Canada, UK, Germany ... Ph is never on my list, in fact I never consider visiting this country. But the name does always come to my mind, especially when m I watch the tv news (the conflict of the islands) and chat with my maid who has been working for my family for more than 15 years.

I have to say their visa policy is very childish. We won't have any loss...because our traditional tourist destination is Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Rarely heard that someone go to Philippines. Remember that HK tourists were kidnapped in Philippines?

bravo Pinoy, that´s the way you can show your anger over the Chinese. Let them feel the pain. :lol:

I don't see why should people care. I have traveled to Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Canada, UK, Germany ... Ph is never on my list, in fact I never consider visiting this country. But the name does always come to my mind, especially when m I watch the tv news (the conflict of the islands) and chat with my maid who has been working for my family for more than 15 years.
you have a maid who works for your family since more than 15 years? cool. I guess she is a part of your family, isn´t she?
I wonder what is the salary for a maid in Macau? does she have paid vacations, too? just curious.

Don't wanna to go to a country when guns law control is so weak and guns related criminal is so prevalent.

Vietnam, Cambodja, and Thailand maybe much better. Bali, Singapore, Macau and Hong Kong will be the best choices after all.

Don't wanna to go to a country when guns law control is so weak and guns related criminal is so prevalent.

Vietnam, Cambodja, and Thailand maybe much better. Bali, Singapore, Macau and Hong Kong will be the best choices after all.

Sometimes, when I met a Christian, he always believe that Christian people and Christian countries are morally superior than the others. That fellow Christian will never do bad things.

But the fact, Philippine and some Latin America...can be considered for having high crime rate countries.

you have a maid who works for your family since more than 15 years? cool. I guess she is a part of your family, isn´t she?
I wonder what is the salary for a maid in Macau? does she have paid vacations, too? jusurious.[/
I think this is pretty normal in Hk and Macau family. Think about their population in here.
Normally around MOP3500 monthly and 6 days for paid vacation yearly.

I wonder what is the salary for a maid in Macau? does she have paid vacations, too? just curious.

Don't know about Macau, but in Hong Kong Philippine maids are paid the government mandated minimum wage of 3980 HKD monthly plus room and board. If food is not provided then we add another 800 to the monthly salary, so the effective rate is 4780 per month (USD 613). Benefits include the medical insurance and travel tickets back home once a year. They work Monday to Saturday.

Don't know about Macau, but in Hong Kong Philippine maids are paid the government mandated minimum wage of 3980 HKD monthly plus room and board. If food is not provided then we add another 800 to the monthly salary, so the effective rate is 4780 per month (USD 613). Benefits include the medical insurance and travel tickets back home once a year. They work Monday to Saturday.

But if you were to live in Hong Kong you would know that is just very small amount of cash. Not implying anything just relayin a fact

Now i wont pretend i know anything the government does or thinks. But i do know ever since the spratly/ south china sea incident hasnt there a large drop in terms of tourism between here and China? Considering there is also the rising consciousness that we are an enemy of china if the state media is to be believed. How about the taiwanese diplomatic incident with the fishermen. Didnt that affect not only tourism but every tie we had with them. So in my perspective a possible logical explanation is that priority were not given to these countries considering their rates in terms of tourism isnt as good as pre-diplomatic incident levels so why should people bother to extend this documentation of Visa to bunch of countries who presently have little potential in terms of tourism for now? This also not considering the fact as ammending Visa laws aren't something done overnight are usually done with tons of work and considering the laziness of those scum of bureaucracy fought tooth and nail to put taiwan and China on the "To do tommorow" bucket. Im not saying this "discrimination" would stay forever considering in the presidents' State of the Nation address on the subject tourism really emphasized on expansion on tourism and even used TWO Chinese magazines as measure of the success in the tourism department which showcase its connection towards China and tourism and possible feelings for mutual-development which would not happen anytime in the future if the chinese state media doesnt stop broadcasting how we are brown pirate monkies stealing their "land". As ive read President Xi jimping seems to be stating he is willing to commit to a joint development program with us , vietnam and malaysia in the disputed islands but i myself have my doubts considering if he wants to have more development on the "chinese dream" would mean an annexation of the entire South China Sea. Hopefully future news might shade more light in the matter

I have to say their visa policy is very childish. We won't have any loss...because our traditional tourist destination is Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Rarely heard that someone go to Philippines. Remember that HK tourists were kidnapped in Philippines?
LOL...I ask myself how many Chinese just visit Thailand because of famous adult entertainment? indeed, as clients you have replaced the Japanese. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom