What's new

Vietnamese students surpass Chinese peers to top regional education ranking: World Bank

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Vietnamese students outperform their peers in Asia Pacific, surpassing even some from OECD countries.

March 17, 2018

thisinh22931499329846-15212744-8898-9869-1521274856_680x0.jpg

Vietnamese high-school students in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo by VnExpress/Quynh Tran

A new report shows Vietnamese students perform best academically in East Asia and the Pacific and surpass even some from developed countries outside the region.

Vietnam beats its Southeast Asian peers, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China in terms of scores on PISA and TIMSS tests, the World Bank revealed in its latest report.

The “Growing Smarter: Learning and Equitable Development in East Asia and the Pacific” report by the World Bank ranks students according to a weighted average of scores from tests that students have taken since 2000 for Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), and since 2003 for Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS).

VN-1309-1521274856.jpg

A screen capture of a chart that compares PISA and TIMSS scores of Vietnamese students and those in other countries in East Asia and Pacific from the World Bank's “Growing Smarter: Learning and Equitable Development in East Asia and the Pacific” report.

The average performance in Vietnam and China surpassed member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD, that includes the U.S., the UK, France, Germany, Canada and Spain.

Vietnam scored above the OECD average on all three sub scores in 2012. These scores indicate mastery of a full range of superior math abilities for complex problems, according to the report.

To strengthen its findings, the World Bank cited 2013 data from the Young Lives initiative, which closely follows cohorts from birth through secondary school.

It show that when they start primary school, Vietnamese children have cognitive skills and abilities that are similar to peers in three comparator countries. By third grade, however, Vietnamese students are way ahead of their low- and middle-income peers in math. At ages 10 and 12, the average Vietnamese student performs better than all but the top students in Ethiopia, India, and Peru.

PISA asseses students in science, mathematics, reading, collaborative problem solving and financial literacy, with science the major domain. TIMSS is a series of international assessments of the mathematics and science knowledge of students around the world.

Last year, PISA ranked Vietnamese 15-year-olds eighth out of 72 economies in science performance. Vietnamese students also came 22nd in mathematics and 32nd in reading.

The scores puzzled foreign experts as PISA rankings usually correspond with the country’s GDP and prosperity, but Vietnam has been an exceptional case.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/v...egional-education-ranking-report-3724216.html

由京沪苏粤组队参加测试仍能位列第十,在所有测试的72个国家和经济体里属于“第一集团”,这个成绩相当不错了。这次我国四个省市上报了9178所学校约145万学生作为候选样本,从中选取了268所学校的1万多名学生完成了PISA测试和调查问卷。从人口基数来看,这四个省市约有人口2.3亿,而上海的人口约2400万,新加坡的人口约550万,香港人口约730万,所以,我们在这样一个庞大候选测试基数上能取得第十名的成绩,说明我国这四省市的教育质量特别是教育均衡化水平,还是十分值得骄傲的。在这就是本次送选样本中城市学生占比47%,较之三年前城市占比将近90%的上海学生,这次的成绩总体来讲还是不错的。

The result depends on where the students come from. Only 47% Chinese students are from urban areas in last year's test. The left are from rural areas.

Last edited:
Why does China rank higher than Vietnam in the graph?
@Viet
:rofl: You are asking directions from the blind

VN ranks higher. Look at the green square!

World bank doesn’t conduct tests. She just combines both Pisa and Timss and makes a new metric: weighted average scores.

Stupid, you even can’t read a chart

There are two green squares. The one on the right with a higher number is China. The other one on the left is Vietnam. I'm sure Vietnam students are very smart but the graph clearly puts China higher.
@Viet
From what I understand the chart: China produces few elites hence Chinese students score higher (x axis) but Vietnam produces more mass of students that score highest on average (y axis).

Both VN and CN are communists, but communist VN delivers better result for mass of population.

That is the main weakness of VN. We lack of worldclass universities and colleges.

Is it irony the Vietnamese are claiming to be the surpassing Chinese and even top the region because they neither understood the prose nor a simple distribution chart of a report assessing student performance mainly in math and science, that basically tells them their system is producing just barely above average results in general, behind some mainland city composite index of "China", rest of China and all other major economies of South East Asia and Pacific?

Even worse a report based on old Vietnamese PISA stats everyone know are worth jack shit because of its past abysmal low participation rates of elegible school-age population in the study at nearly 50% due to Vietnams low secondary (also still low tertiary) enrollment rates, whereas other participants reach short off 100% skewing the results much towards the brightest remaining.

Congratulations for "topping" Ethiopia, Peru and India in math at teenage ages according to some hardly relevant program. You may want to debate with Indians if that is something to be proud of.

Last edited:
have we been surpassed by these lower intellects? :lol:
Here's the secret viets won't tell you. The Vietnamese students taking PISA are ethnic second or third generation Chinese. I just don't want to wake them up from superpower wet dream

:lol:

Why does China rank higher than Vietnam in the graph?
@Viet
Please don't tell me Vietnamese is using Vedic math now,?

From what I understand the chart: China produces few elites hence Chinese students score higher (x axis) but Vietnam produces more mass of students that score highest on average (y axis).

Both VN and CN are communists, but communist VN delivers better result for mass of population.

That is the main weakness of VN. We lack of worldclass universities and colleges.
I don't see a Y-axis on the graph. The values (x-axis) are "a weighted average" of scores from PISA. They are simply average scores, and I don't know if I could come to the conclusion that "China produces few elites" and "Vietnam produces more students that score highest on average" based on the graph.
I have a Vietnamese classmate who is very smart so I understand what you say about Vietnamese students. However, I don't believe that they are superior to Chinese students.

Let's give Communist Vietnam some credit, they are doing much better than the "supa powa" which was the dead last amount participating countries.

Why not ask your supa pawa peers that how come their high intellect only positions them at 30th place in income while lower intellect are number one in income in actual real world jobs that pays, instead of passing fancy tests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income

Back
Top Bottom