What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Singapore, South Korea to co-host maritime security exercise

ST_20190429_TGRSN_4804213.jpg

A major maritime security field training exercise organised by Singapore and South Korea will start tomorrow.

The exercise is part of efforts to strengthen cooperation within the Asean Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus), which comprises the Asean countries (Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam send ships while Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar send observers) as well as Australia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.

The Ministry of Defence (Mindef) said the exercise, which will end on May 13, will involve 16 ships, six aircraft and about 700 personnel from the 18 countries. Participants will conduct a series of professional exchanges ashore, as well as maritime security drills in the waters off South Korea and Singapore.

I know Vietnam domestically produces some body armor, but I've only seen this one which I haven't been able to find much info about
mat-chongdan2.jpg

Does anyone know if these are being used in the army? Also if this armor has a name?
I am curious to find out what type of body armor the army uses
The Vietnamese inscription says “protective vest, weight 2.2 kg, production year 2010”, other data as serial number, charge, size are not readable.

Welcome to the PDF :)

For your question, it's hard to obtain much information about the body armor that our army uses beside what mainstream medial already cover. Considering the secrecy nature of the PAVN, the only way to know for sure is to wait for a war to break out :v

The Vietnamese inscription says “protective vest, weight 2.2 kg, production year 2010”, other data as serial number, charge, size are not readable.

I see! Although I understand their secrecy, I really wish they would share more as it is very interesting. If Vietnam can produce body armor, I wonder what else they can produce! Thanks for the info :-)

I see! Although I understand their secrecy, I really wish they would share more as it is very interesting. If Vietnam can produce body armor, I wonder what else they can produce! Thanks for the info :-)
Vietnam defence budget is low. Very low. It’s about $5.1 billion this year, expectedly will rise to $7.9 billion by 2024. Considering a certain external threat we are facing, the budget should be 10 times higher, at least to the level of Japan, but it’s unrealistic for a obvious reason. So best hope is to develop a domestic military complex to make things cheaper.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vietnamese-defense-industry-outlook-2019-095445790.html

thediplomat-29792765_2072963282946417_4380605937405132800_o-386x257.jpg

A photo from a previous Russia-Vietnam defense engagement.

What’s in Russia’s New Military Facility in Vietnam?

A new maintenance center spotlights some of the ongoing defense collaboration by the two sides and Moscow’s desire to strengthen its security footprint in the wider region.

The diplomat
thediplomat.com

Last week, a Russian state-owned defense firm officially announced the start of operations for a new maintenance facility in Vietnam. The development spotlighted some of the ongoing collaboration between the two sides despite the wider challenges that have been evident in the defense aspect of the relationship in recent years.

As I have observed before in these pages, Vietnam and Russia have a defense relationship that dates back to the Cold War. Despite some challenges for ties as Vietnam engages newer partners such as the United States and Russia’s regional and international behavior attracts greater scrutiny, some advances in this realm of ties have continued as Hanoi continues to modernize its military and Moscow seeks a stronger defense presence in the broader Asia-Pacific.

That has been evident over the past year or so as well, whether it be headlines about new Vietnamese orders of Russian equipment – with Moscow traditionally being Vietnam’s biggest partner in this respect – or visits and exchanges that have reinforced the continued significance of the relationship for both sides.

One of the aspects of Russia-Vietnam defense collaboration that has received attention in recent years is the potential for the setting up of new maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) facilities in Vietnam. These facilities have been viewed as not just part of routine maintenance of Russian equipment in Vietnam – a key issue with some Russian equipment more generally – but a wider effort to utilize initial buys of Russian equipment as stepping stones towards wider defense collaboration.

A case in point came last October, when UEC-Klimov, a subsidiary of the United Engine Corporation which is part of Rostec, and the Vietnamese company Helicopter Technical Service Company, signed a distribution contract concerning service maintenance of engines. The agreement paved the way for potential next steps, including the setting up of a center to perform the services that were described.

Last week, this aspect of Russia-Vietnam defense ties was in the headlines again with the official announcement of the opening of a new helicopter engine facility in Vietnam related to the agreement inked last October. Russian defense industrial group Rostec announced the opening of what essentially constituted a new helicopter engine MRO facility in Vietnam.

Per Rostec in an April 22 statement, the MRO center – characterized as a “integrated logistics support center for repairing helicopter engines” – had begun operations in the Vietnamese city of Vũng Tàu, an area where the Vietnam People’s Air Force (VPAF) and some commercial operators have bases. The facility, set up by UEC-Klimov, is equipped with “all the necessary equipment, spare parts, and assemblies to provide repairs and engines designed by UEC-Klimov.” The facility operates on space occupied by Helicopter Technical Service Company, which provides service maintenance for Russian-made helicopters and acts as a distributor of the TB3-117 and VK-2500 engines that Russia is helping maintain.

While specifics remain unclear, the work that is proceeding at the facility includes some sharing of expertise as well as training. Rostec said the Russian side is providing spare parts and personnel training for engine and gearbox maintenance, while the Vietnamese side was providing support personnel to accompany the working process, with some of them having already received certificates from UEC-Klimov on successful familiarization with some aspects of the repair process. Repairs on the first helicopter engine had recently been completed at the facility, and that by the end of April, four more engines in use in Vietnam would go through repairs at the center.

Interestingly, Rostec itself cast the center as part of a regionwide effort, thereby playing into perceptions that this is part of a wider effort by Russia to strengthen defense collaboration with Asian states. Viktor Kladov, Rostec’s director for international cooperation and regional policy, said there were plans to expand helicopter repair and support services to India, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Australia, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, in addition to Vietnam. Those sorts of broader strategic calculations only reinforce the importance of paying attention to these individual efforts undertaken by Russia in the region.

Samsung Elec Vietnam donated 300 pieces of new invented IGNIS thermal imaging cameras to Vietnam Fire and Rescue Police Department. Interesting piece of equipment. surviable in all extreme conditions, light weight, water/dust/heat resistant, camera able to detect humans in full darkness. good suitable for police, special ops, as well as military use, I believe. Vietnam just needs to acquire the technology.

samsung-tang-mat-than-cho-luc-luong-pccc-va-cnch-viet-nam-1-15562631986891483439425.jpg

237999_17522_large_entry_medium.jpg

237999_17521_large_entry_medium.jpg

237999_02_if_ignis_02.jpg

Vietnam defence budget is low. Very low. It’s about $5.1 billion this year, expectedly will rise to $7.9 billion by 2024. Considering a certain external threat we are facing, the budget should be 10 times higher, at least to the level of Japan, but it’s unrealistic for a obvious reason. So best hope is to develop a domestic military complex to make things cheaper.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vietnamese-defense-industry-outlook-2019-095445790.html

7.9 bils by 2024? I thought Vietnam is already rich now?

Base on certain sources, VPA has received its newest assets from Israel: IAI Heron (unarmed) and IAI Eitan (armed). The operator is presumed to be the 954th Navy Aviation Brigade.

1280px-IAI_Heron_1_in_flight_2.JPEG

1280px-IAF-Eitan--Independence-Day-2017-Tel-Nof-IZE-099.jpg

n-jpvietnam-a-20190504-870x655.jpg

Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya (left) and his Vietnamese counterpart, Ngo Xuan Lich, pose for a photo Thursday before talks

Japan and Vietnam defense ministers agree to peacefully tackle Beijing's South China Sea expansion
JIJI, KYODO
MAY 3, 2019

HANOI - Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya and his Vietnamese counterpart, Ngo Xuan Lich, confirmed Thursday that the two countries will work together to peacefully resolve the issue of China’s rapid expansion in the South China Sea.

Meeting with Vietnam’s minister of defense in Hanoi, Iwaya also stressed the importance of steadily implementing U.N. Security Council sanctions resolutions against North Korea to realize the country’s denuclearization.

Iwaya asked for Vietnam’s support in resolving North Korea’s abductions of Japanese nationals decades ago.

Lich indicated Vietnam’s readiness to cooperate on the denuclearization issue.

“Japan hopes to further deepen ties with Vietnam in the era of Reiwa,” Iwaya said at the outset of talks with Lich, referring to the nation’s new imperial era under Emperor Naruhito, who ascended the throne Wednesday.

Lich expressed his congratulations over the succession, and told Iwaya that he hopes his visit to Vietnam will “contribute to pushing bilateral defense ties to a new stage.”

In line with Iwaya’s visit to Vietnam, the two countries’ defense authorities exchanged a memorandum of understanding stipulating the two governments’ intention to call for cooperation between the Japanese and Vietnamese defense industries.

Based on the MOU, cooperation is likely to be promoted in fields such as maritime security, humanitarian assistance, disaster relief and cybersecurity, sources with knowledge of the matter said.

Tensions remain high in the South China Sea, with China pushing its claims to almost the entire body of water — a vital shipping lane with rich fishing grounds and possibly large oil and natural gas deposits. Vietnam as well as Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan claim parts of the waters.

During the talks, Iwaya explained Japan’s latest national defense guidelines that were endorsed in December last year, which called China’s military activities in the South China Sea and surrounding waters “a serious security concern for the region including Japan and for the international community.”

Japan is locked in a territorial dispute with China in the East China Sea over the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands, which China calls Diaoyu.

The discussions in the Vietnamese capital were the first official talks between the two countries’ defense ministers since June last year.

Suit yourself :)

@nufix no more posting here now please.

I would like the admin to take a look into this whole ordeal. This guy repeatedly spread the thread with unrelated stuff like:

History as beggars: check
History as incompetent people: check
GDP among the lowest in ASEAN: check
GDP per capita also among the lowest in ASEAN: check
High level of fantasy (everything is based on "when", "if", once): check
Known as home to illegal fishers: check
Known to selling own daughters to some old white men or chinese: check
Currency literally means penis in english: check

This is the second time. I hope that he got what his deserve this time.

Back
Top Bottom